Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The offense is dreadful to watch.

The offense is dreadful to watch.

I won't even single out specific players, but they can't lay off breaking pitches to save their lives, they can't take a walk, they hack hack hack and show absolutely no patience at the plate, they can't seem to move runners over well and they strikeout at alarming rates. I know when you're facing stud pitchers they're likely to get the best of you. But...some of these things are within their control and they have not collectively done an impressive job 6 games in with any of these things.

I know I know, it's only 6 games and somehow the Reds are .500, so why should I complain? The only thing that's saving them is the starting pitching has been awesome so far. They can't continue to win games with offense this poor. Dusty should require them all to spend extra hours in the cages.
    Last edited by macro; 04-11-2010 at 04:46 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The offense

They need to stop swinging at balls.

It's really that simple.

I've been concerned about the offense all along.

is dreadful to watch.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Haunted by walks

They're averaging 3.6 runs a game, which might be what you'd expect from a pitching/defense-oriented team. They'd better keep bringing the pitching, though.

This offense is bad, bad, bad, and that's putting it nicely. This bunch will be lucky to score 650 runs this season. They're a bunch of hackers.

Take today for example:

6th inning: runner on 3rd, one out, 3-1 count on Cabrera - he swings at a 3-1 pitch at the ankles, and then K's on a pitch in the dirt. He swung at ball 4 and 5, both of wich were well out of the strikezone.

7th inning: runners on first and second, one out, 1-0 on Gomes - he swings at three straight pitches at the ankles.

Bruce chased some bad pitches in his lone atbat, and Phillips of course chases everything.

Stubbs and Votto looked bad today too.

Thanks goodness the pitching staff bailed them out. With a little offense at all, the Reds would've swept the Cubs and would be sitting at 4-2 right now.

Hmm, Interesting.

I agree too much hacking going on. I won't however give them too much grief over today as Gorzellany was filthy with his change and breaking pitches. His stuff was darting and breaking like you want it to and his location was on point all day. And Lou did a good job of keeping the breaking pitches on us with Marshall and Grabow etc. Once the guy who has little more than a good FB (Carridad) came in we caught up a bit.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

pre seaon i thought that the Reds offense would be OK if a two things happened:
    1. the catcher & shortstop positions were not a black hole. so far so good here. while Cabrerea & Hernandez/Hanigan won't be making any all star teams they have been ok
    2. Jay Bruce took a big step forward. so far red flags all around. i know that he has smoked some balls that were caught but count me as one concerned that he will not take the big step forward that this team needs

the biggest problem the Reds have is that they only have one truly above average offensive player (Votto). Phillips & Rolen are solid. Stubbs is a rookie. Bruce had a poor 2009. SS & Catcher are not going to lead the charge offensively. Guys like Gomes & Dickerson are useful players in the right circumstances but these guys scream 'solid bench player' on a playoff caliber team.

I suspect that Walt is going to have to make some sort of big trade mid season for the team to make the playoffs. hopefully they can stay close until then. its also possible that one of the AAA players (Frazier?) could step up and help the team.

one last note: all these games were we don't score & especially don't score early are going to put a mental strain on the pitchers (not to mention me!). its tough to pitch when you feel like every pitch has to be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I agree too much hacking going on. I won't however give them too much grief over today as Gorzellany was filthy with his change and breaking pitches. His stuff was darting and breaking like you want it to and his location was on point all day. And Lou did a good job of keeping the breaking pitches on us with Marshall and Grabow etc. Once the guy who has little more than a good FB (Carridad) came in we caught up a bit.
    I think this is an excellent point. This team, for the most part, really struggles with offspeed stuff. We need more Scott Rolens.

In the last four games, the Reds have faced Brad Penny, Carlos Silva, and Tom Gorzelanny.

Brad Penny:

2008 - 94.2 IP, 6.27 ERA
    2009 - 173.1 IP, 4.88 ERA (5.61 with Boston)

Carlos Silva:

2008 - 153.1 IP, 6.46 ERA
    2009 - 30.1 IP, 8.60 ERA

Tom Gorzelanny:

2008 - 105.1 IP, 6.66 ERA
    2009 - 47 IP, 5.55 ERA

Those three pitchers were three of the worst starting pitchers in baseball during the 2008 and 2009 seasons. So far this season, the Reds offense has scored a combined 3 runs (two earned) in 19.1 innings against that trio of pitchers. That's awful.

Re: The offense is dreadful to watch.

From the 3 games I have been able to watch. I have noticed a true propensity to hack away something awful. the kids you can kinda of cut some slack but the vets have been awful.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

With so many principal players not performing (Votto, Phillips, Bruce), you're going to score 3.6 runs a game. But yeah, I'll echo what others are saying: offspeed stuff on or just off the outside corner is an automatic out against everyone right now not named Rolen.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I don't know what offense you guys were watching, but I thought that Mike Leake kid had a pretty good approach up there. It'll be nice to see him working the pitchers every day....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    They need to stop swinging at balls.

It's really that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I agree too much hacking going on.
    Those players have the last three years slash stats that they did and do for real reasons.

Not to mention the three year splits.

Most of these guys were not very good with OBP to begin with.

Teams like that are suppose to have trouble scoring runs.

They normally don't do "huge" increases or improvements.

I can't help but to remember the projections and predictions and comments.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Turn Off Ads?