Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lance Berkman watch (or name your own future Red)

The Lance Berkman watch (or name your own future Red)

The entire off season we knew that the Reds needed to improve the offense. Re signing Hernandez & getting Cabrera was an improvement over nothing but i think we all knew that wasn't going to provide enough offense.

I am starting this thread as the official trade deadline watch list thread. you say: dude its only April 11th. I say no time like the present.

Lance Berkman is 34 years old. This is certainly an age where star players decline. Yet in 2009 he was still worth 3.2 WAR. He has a contract that is up at the end of this year (2011 $15M club option with $2M buyout). The Astros have started the year 0-6 in a season that most observers feel is going to be a poor one for them. When their owner/GM decides to throw in the towel what to do with Berkman will top their list. if they decide to rebuild then Walt should be on the phone pronto. Now, Berkman has a no trade clause. why would he want to come here? well i can think of a few reasons. GABP is a hitters park. comfort wise staying in the NL central is an easier transition than going to the AL East. A chance to win both in 2010 & beyond if the team extended his deal as part of the trade.
    One question regarding Berkman is whether he can still play the outfield. I believe he was moved to 1B when the Astros got Carlos Lee (as opposed to being moved their because he was a butcher in the field).

New (ideal) lineup:
    CF Stubbs +- Dickerson (L)
    3B Rolen
    1B Votto (L)
    LF Berkman (S)
    RF Bruce (L) - bats 6th or 7th vs LHP
    2B Phillips - bats 5th vs LHP
    C Hernandez/Hanigan
    SS Cabrera
    --------------
    Bench: Dickerson, Gomes, Hanigan, Janish & (hopefully by then) Frazier

THAT is a lineup that combined with our pitchingcould produce a playoff berth. it has was the current lineup sorely lacks: another big thumper for the middle of the lineup.

I was trying to think of who might be available that would fit the Reds needs and Walt's motus operandi of trading for an established star. Berkman fits the bill. I know others have mentioned Reyes. who else do we need to keep an eye on as the trade dealine approaches?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Lance Berkman watch (or name your own future Red)

Assuming it was realistic, who would the Reds give up to get him? Would the Reds pick up the option next year?

Just remember, teams rarely trade within the division...especially when it's a marquee name. That fact alone will drive up the asking price if this were to be a possibility.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Would Houston really deal him in the division?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I don't think the Stros would be interested in Harang, but I'd consider dealing Aaron to someone for young talent they might be interested in (and maybe with some of our own) - ditto Phillips.

I'd rather deal Maloney, but I'd include Wood intead for the right bat. We've got some young bats and BP arms to spare too.

A package from guys like:

Wood/Maloney
    Alonso/Francisco
    Fisher/Burton
    Stubbs/Heisey
    (among others)

...for the right bat.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Teams might be reluctant to trade within the division when it's a challenge trade, but a salary dump trade in a guy's walk year isn't nearly as big a deal.
    Not all who wander are lost

Man Pills

Berkman would be nice, but if I'm looking to pick Houston's bones, I'm targeting Wandy Rodriguez.

Pass, we have a 1st baseman and he's not an OF on anything but a softball team now.

I would think Houston will look to deal, in order, Carlos Lee, Roy Oswalt, and then Berkman. I would agree that Wandy would be a more than worthy target if the Astros were to make him available.

If his contract were not such an issue, Carlos Lee would look just fine in LF in GABP and at clean-up on this team to me. But I don't think there is any way to get around his contract without Houston picking up significant dollars, and I don't know why they would do that for the Reds. Perhaps if the players coming back were good enough, dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pass, we have a 1st baseman and he's not an OF on anything but a softball team now.
    This. Although I'd prefer Berkman to Gomes in the OF, offensively and defensively.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I wouldn't hate a Berkman acquisition assuming he was healthy, although his defense in LF at this point might be pretty poor. What with his knee being what is injured currently.

Guys who may likely be available (or at least on a team out of contention) who will likely be an upgrade:

Asdrubal Cabrera - Indians - SS (though I doubt he's available, I'd try like heck)

Beyond that happening I cannot see us making a deal for a bat, it doesn't really make any sense at this point when we have a potential solid midseason acquisition in AA (Alonso) or AAA (Frazier/Heisey) perhaps. And since I am sure we won't be trading for a SS because ours will likely be good enough in the Reds eyes then I don't know there is a trade to be made this season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I can't recall a player who has owned the Reds like Berkman has over the years. He may be worth bringing in and sitting on the bench just so he doesn't hit agaisnt the Reds.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The guy who makes the most sense filling in a need while also keeping to the Reds pitching and defense philosophy may just be Carl Crawford. He would be a true leadoff player, would add plus defense in LF, and will become available if the Rays fall out of contention early this season.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep. Berkman's knees are worse than mine.

Great ballplayer in his time though. He whomped on the Reds too many times to count.

Pay attention to the open sky

Remember when this used to be called the Ben Grieve watch?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The guy who makes the most sense filling in a need while also keeping to the Reds pitching and defense philosophy may just be Carl Crawford. He would be a true leadoff player, would add plus defense in LF, and will become available if the Rays fall out of contention early this season.
    i thought about him as well. the Rays have a much better team than the Astros so they might not put up the 'for sale' sign as quickly.

Turn Off Ads?