Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why did they keep Lincoln?

Why did they keep Lincoln?

I honestly feel the Cardinals were insulted that the Reds brought in a pitcher of Lincoln's caliber and they made the Reds pay for it. The other thing is I question Dickerson's baseball IQ somewhat, how do you not know who's coming home and make an accurate throw instead of the laser attempt, Puhols was jogging home.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Why did they keep Lincoln?

The sky is falling

I just asked a question, maybe I'll ask it tomorrow, maybe youll feel better then.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    The sky is falling
    We should DFA Dickerson, Lincoln and Masset.

We still have a shot at 161-1.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I honestly feel the Cardinals were insulted that the Reds brought in a pitcher of Lincoln's caliber and they made the Reds pay for it. The other thing is I question Dickerson's baseball IQ somewhat, how do you not know who's coming home and make an accurate throw instead of the laser attempt, Puhols was jogging home.
    Ice,

As a fan that was also insulted by some of the in-game selections today, I agree with you. I don't think the Cards were insulted rather than just pleased with who was pitching. Albert was licking his chops I'm sure.

Dickerson's IQ should not be questioned. He's still a relatively young player to the big leagues. I think he just got overanxious and put too much on a ball that he knows needs to be level or bounced to the catcher. Even if his airmail is a direct shot to Hernandez, its much harder for him get the tag on the runner. Hence the preference of the bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Ice,

As a fan that was also insulted by some of the in-game selections today, I agree with you. I don't think the Cards were insulted rather than just pleased with who was pitching. Albert was licking his chops I'm sure.

Dickerson's IQ should not be questioned. He's still a relatively young player to the big leagues. I think he just got overanxious and put too much on a ball that he knows needs to be level or bounced to the catcher. Even if his airmail is a direct shot to Hernandez, its much harder for him get the tag on the runner. Hence the preference of the bounce.
    I appreciate the honest answer, this place man I tell you has turned into...

They put him in because when he wasn't hurt, he wasn't a bad pitcher. I still wouldn't let him pitch to Albert Pujols, but I think your anger at who the Reds put in a game in the 6th inning(pretty much any middle reliever coming in the 6th is by definition mediocre at best.) is a bit much.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    They put him in because when he wasn't hurt, he wasn't a bad pitcher. I still wouldn't let him pitch to Albert Pujols, but I think your anger at who the Reds put in a game in the 6th inning(pretty much any middle reliever coming in the 6th is by definition mediocre at best.) is a bit much.
    I don't think I'd let anyone this side of Tim Lincecum pitch to Pujols. However, the Reds, for whatever reason, have always seen differently. Guy is nails and "the hitter" of his generation.

That being said, there was much more than just Pujols beating Lincoln around. The guy gave up four hits, one of which was to Pujols. He also was taken out before more damage could be done.

People will call Ice and myself over reactors, but I see nothing that leads me to believe Lincoln warrants a roster spot. If the guy finishes the year with an ERA under 5, I'd be shocked.

Did he lose the game? Certainly, he did not. If Massett holds in the 9th, the game is winnable. However, I fail to see why a guy like Lincoln is on a big league ballclub, let alone thrust into the first bullpen appearance of the year when he is most definitely the worst pitcher on the club.

why cant these things be talked about on a baseball message board without people flipping out, geez, everyone is supposed to shut up and not post, for crying out load this board has changed

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

OMG Ice...quit griping and just shut up already. :O) I keed, I keed.

Seriously though, I somewhat agree with you guys. Lincoln being on the club is questionable to say the least. He does have a very good arm & stuff. He's had success in the past when healthy. But he really doesn't have much in terms of upside. Where that bothers me is when we've got some talented young pitchers in the minors waiting for a slot. I know the money owed Lincoln is a concern for the Reds, but their main concern should be results.

He didn't really impress during ST and he was pretty far from impressive last season, so I'm not sure what the Reds were looking for in terms of criteria from him...for all the griping about Balentien & Cairo and roster spots...Lincoln is the roster spot that surprised me most.

why cant these things be talked about on a baseball message board without people flipping out, geez, everyone is supposed to shut up and not post, for crying out load this board has changed
    What does this have to do with the post? Lincoln is a mediocre relief pitcher. Mediocre relief pitchers come in in the 6th inning of games their team trails in. If he has a 5 ERA he will be an average 6th inning relief pitcher. What RH reliever was a better option? It's one outing. You aren't barbecuing Masset...The Reds management chose to pitch to Pujols...why do that?

Bum

beats me

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    What does this have to do with the post? Lincoln is a mediocre relief pitcher. Mediocre relief pitchers come in in the 6th inning of games their team trails in. If he has a 5 ERA he will be an average 6th inning relief pitcher. What RH reliever was a better option? It's one outing. You aren't barbecuing Masset...The Reds management chose to pitch to Pujols...why do that?

Bum
    I understand baseball dude, Lincoln shouldve been the last man in, his role is mopup not first reliever in a game thats still in reach, thats my only point and to have guys freaking on me whether its game one or game 2 or game 100, I dont care, its just a message board we can express opinions and its a good thing (using my Marvin Lewis voice) its going to be OK, I will bring up a Dusty error in judgement next time too. As far another reliever, how about Owings

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post

Bum
    The sixth inning is the domain of the tweener and that's what Lincoln is, when the Reds can go from starter to closer without a hitch 162 games then I'll be surprised, not when they actually fail to convert the opportunity day after day.

I understand baseball dude, Lincoln shouldve been the last man in, his role is mopup not first reliever in a game thats still in reach, thats my only point and to have guys freaking on me whether its game one or game 2 or game 100, I dont care, its just a message board we can express opinions and its a good thing (using my Marvin Lewis voice) its going to be OK, I will bring up a Dusty error in judgement next time too. As far another reliever, how about Owings
    I don't think anybody's freakin', I think they are poking fun. JMO

I guess we could have brought Masset in earlier... :

Turn Off Ads?