Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Chapman Vs. Leake

  1. #1
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    337

    Chapman Vs. Leake

    Who had the more impressive debut?

    Chapman- 4.2 innings pitched 5 hits 1 run 9 ks 1 bb 85 total pitches 55 for strike. 0.00 era

    other notes hit 100 mph several times

    Leake- 6.2 innings pitched 4 hit 1 run 5 ks 7 bb 106 total pitches 57 for strikes 1.35 era

    other notes 2-2 2 singles.

    Chapman hit the strike zone almost as many times as Leake did in significantly fewer pitches, Had more k's fewer walks and a perfect era.

    Leake had his professional debut in the majors, Pitched well above expected, kept us in the game and pitched out of a very tough 1st inning.

    My vote is leake. For him to skip the minors and pitch against the cubs and be borderline dominate. WOW. Im very excited. And before this years spring training, when was the last time this kid had to hit?

    Things are looking up.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    253

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Chapman. Sure, Leake beat the Cubs, but 7 walks for a guy who is supposed to have good command is troubling.

    Plus, Chapman topped 100 three separate times, and only walked one with that heat. Yowza.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    Chapman. Sure, Leake beat the Cubs, but 7 walks for a guy who is supposed to have good command is troubling.

    Plus, Chapman topped 100 three separate times, and only walked one with that heat. Yowza.
    7 walks isnt troubling for me considering he has a track record of having great command. I contribute it to him not understanding the MLB strike zone and early jitters.

  5. #4
    OCS Prez Cant Touch This's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    638

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    7 walks isnt troubling for me considering he has a track record of having great command. I contribute it to him not understanding the MLB strike zone and early jitters.
    Plus he was getting squeezed. There was a tight strike zone yesterday anyway, but Leake got NO help. I liked what I saw.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

    www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    253

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    I didn't say I didn't like what I saw. Pitching out of that first inning jam was quite the feat. However, the question was who was more impressive.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    Plus he was getting squeezed. There was a tight strike zone yesterday anyway, but Leake got NO help. I liked what I saw.
    it did seem like the close calls werent going his way. It's a shame the Reds cant understand what a small strike zone is when they are at the plate.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Leake was because it was in the majors.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    581

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Leake's control will be fine...as everyone is saying, his control is very good. I have no doubt making his first major league start plus the fact the umpire was squeezing him didn't help. Plus keep in mind his last two walks were when he was exhausted in his last inning.

    If Dusty had any clue, he would have pulled him after 6 innings.

  10. #9
    OCS Prez Cant Touch This's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    638

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    I didn't say I didn't like what I saw. Pitching out of that first inning jam was quite the feat. However, the question was who was more impressive.
    Actually, it doesn't matter what you say. You could tell me water is made up of two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen and I would find a way to challenge you because of your screen name.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

    www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

  11. #10
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,807

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan View Post
    Leake's control will be fine...as everyone is saying, his control is very good. I have no doubt making his first major league start plus the fact the umpire was squeezing him didn't help. Plus keep in mind his last two walks were when he was exhausted in his last inning.

    If Dusty had any clue, he would have pulled him after 6 innings.
    If I am reading the box score in baseball-reference.com correctly, Leake only had thrown 83 pitches through 6 innings. An efficient seventh inning gets him out of there under 100 pitches and gives him a chance to get the win. I wouldn't consider that abusive. On the other hand, he certainly appeared to be laboring in the 7th. It's all a moot point if the offense can plate a few runs. By that I mean if the Reds have a lead maybe Leake doesn't even come out for the 7th, or at most, gets pulled after the first runner reaches base in that inning. I think Dusty may have been giving him every chance to get a W. He certainly earned it IMO.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-12-2010 at 01:19 PM.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    361

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    Chapman. Sure, Leake beat the Cubs, but 7 walks for a guy who is supposed to have good command is troubling.

    Plus, Chapman topped 100 three separate times, and only walked one with that heat. Yowza.
    I actually find it a little comforting that when he got into jams it was because he was issuing walks and not because he was being hit. It is unlikely that he will be a wild pitcher so he probably won't make a habit of walking 7 batters. If he was getting hit a bunch I would be worried.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Well I didn't get to see Chapman's debut, but his line looks better, and from all accounts it was the shoddy infield defense that lead to 4(?) infield hits.
    9 K's are nice, but we expect that, especially at the AAA level.
    100 MPH heater, again not surprising, AAA guys aren't going to catch up with that.

    But Leake did it on the big stage, against a good/borderline great team, and didn't flinch after a little shaky beginning of the first inning, a small strike zone, and Dusty Baker keeping him in longer than necessary.
    His stuff is downright FILTHY!!
    I knew it was good, but I've never seen the full extent like I did yesterday.
    As Cowboy noted, he really gets that LATE movement, like in the last 2 feet, and since he has like 7 different grips for his "primary" fastballs and curves, you never know where it's going to break. I thought his curve was nice too. REALLY kept those hitters off-balance and made some of them look downright Silly!
    Giving up ONE run in 6.2 innings in your MLB debut against a formidable opponent - got to go with Leake in this poll.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  14. #13
    Redlegs_87
    Guest

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    I'll take Leake over Chapman all the time untill Aroldis develops another pitch or two.

  15. #14
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    337

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Also, it was mentioned that Chapman would have walked 9 if not for minor league hitters. They were swinging at bat pitches. of course, when its coming at 101, your going to swing at bad pitches. Did everyone of Randy Johnson strikeouts come on pitches in the strike zone?
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

  16. #15
    i love lamp
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Union Township
    Posts
    17

    Re: Chapman Vs. Leake

    Definitely Leake, I don't see how you could even question it. Cubs bats > Mud Hens (or any AAA) bats.

    Aroldis has the potential to be a great pitcher but I think people are putting too much emphasis on the fact that he's throwing high 90's-100 mph. That's a huge weapon in a pitcher's arsenal but in the grand scheme of things, when you're facing someone like Pujols or Howard or Berkman I'll take the guy with 4 or 5 different throws that all have great movement vs straight up heat any time.

    On a related note, did anyone see the highlights of Chapman vs Toledo? When he was whiffing guys they were literally shaking their heads in disbelief as they walked back to the dugout.

    Dave


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25