Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Last Number 42

The Last Number 42

Interesting article in today's NY Times about Mariano Rivera being the last active player still wearing Jackie Robinson's retired number 42.

Rivera is the last of a dozen players who were allowed to continue to wear number 42 — made famous by Rachel Robinson’s husband, Jackie — when Major League Baseball retired it in 1997. It happened to be the same year Rivera became the Yankees’ closer.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/sp...rivera.html?hp

I wonder if, once Rivera retires, if the Yankees will do a dual retirement, adding Rivera's name alongside Robinson's.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Last Number 42

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Interesting article in today's NY Times about Mariano Rivera being the last active player still wearing Jackie Robinson's retired number 42.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/sp...rivera.html?hp

I wonder if, once Rivera retires, if the Yankees will do a dual retirement, adding Rivera's name alongside Robinson's.
    I think they should retire Rivera's #42 without question. Mariano Rivera is the single most dominant reliever in baseball history. He essentially gets guys out when they know exactly what is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I think they should retire Rivera's #42 without question. Mariano Rivera is the single most dominant reliever in baseball history. He essentially gets guys out when they know exactly what is coming.
    Totally agree with you. Rivera is best reliever in MLB history. To do it as long as he has is simply amazing too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Here's the better question, if Butch Huskey makes a comeback, do they give him back #42 since that's the only number he ever wore and he was one of the final 42's when the rule was anounced?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Here's the better question, if Butch Huskey makes a comeback, do they give him back #42 since that's the only number he ever wore and he was one of the final 42's when the rule was anounced?
    I think Jackie Robinson has a better chance of making a comeback than Butch Huskey does.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

What's Butch Huskey's middle name?

Toughguy? Macho? Hoss? Burly?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    What's Butch Huskey's middle name?

Toughguy? Macho? Hoss? Burly?
    Robert Leon Huskey

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post