Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prince Fielder seeks $200M/8 years for new contract

Re: Prince Fielder seeks $200M/8 years for new contract

If the Brewers are seriously interested in re-signing Prince, they better get the deal done soon because when Pujols gets his new deal, $200M/8 years may seem like a bargain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    If he has another couple seasons like the last few, then I would pay him more than any first baseman in baseball other than Pujols (even more than Howard). I'm not sure what the market will be like at that time, but here's hoping we'll be in a better baseball and world economy by then. He'll be 27 on opening day of his free agent year (2012) while Howard and Pujols will be 32.

I'm not saying I'd give him an 8 year contract, given his weight issues, but let's remember that a lot of teams had concerns about drafting him because of his weight issues. After all the handwringing, the team who drafted him has had a resurgence in attendance and has made the playoffs, the team that drafted Chris Gruler had had lousy attendance and has not made the playoffs.
    But man o man, what a curveball!!

Quite simply, even though the Prince is young, his size would rule out an 8 year deal for him. I just don't think his knees can take it for that period of time. Further, if I'm an insurer, would I take on that contract with that issue?

I am being very serious--I don't think I can think of any other athlete with that physique that didn't have knee issues at some point in his career.

However, as a Reds fan, I hope Milwaukee ponies up and pays so they can deal with that albatross for years and years.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Quite simply, even though the Prince is young, his size would rule out an 8 year deal for him. I just don't think his knees can take it for that period of time. Further, if I'm an insurer, would I take on that contract with that issue?

I am being very serious--I don't think I can think of any other athlete with that physique that didn't have knee issues at some point in his career.

However, as a Reds fan, I hope Milwaukee ponies up and pays so they can deal with that albatross for years and years.
    I agree. Look at his Dad. Sure, Prince is a better hitter than daddy, but Cecil went down hill in a hurry once he hit age 30. I think Prince will be hindered in his contract pursuits because teams have his Dad as an example.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I see a Nutrisystem ad in young Mr. Fielder's future.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post

Did David Wells have knee problems?

I agree that his physique is troublesome especially for an NL team

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Did David Wells have knee problems?

I agree that his physique is troublesome especially for an NL team
    Wells also sat in the dugout 4 out of every 5 days. Heft is probably not the career killer for pitchers that it is for everyday guys.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If the Brewers are seriously interested in re-signing Prince, they better get the deal done soon because when Pujols gets his new deal, $200M/8 years may seem like a bargain.
    I think that 10 years/ $250-300 million keeps Pujols in St. Louis. Anyone disagree? Maybe even less.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I think that 10 years/ $250-300 million keeps Pujols in St. Louis. Anyone disagree? Maybe even less.
    I figure it makes sense for both sides to go with lots of deferred money, so it'll still be a lot, but it won't be crippling to the team, they'll just still be having to pay him after he's long gone.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

10 years even for Prince Albert would be a stretch. I definitely see the bidding starting at 25 million a season though.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If he gets that kind of money, it won't be St. Louis paying.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?