Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Gas Prices

Gas Prices

I'm heading to Lexington this week for a job fair on Friday. I'm driving from Charleston, WV and just trying to plot the best time(s) to fill up for the most economical price. Any information would be appreciated.

Also hows the traffic as you're driving on I 64 past Huntington into KY? Ive driven it plenty through Huntington never past that. Mapquest says its ~3 hour trip so I was planning on leaving and giving myself an extra hour.

Thank you in advance.

*Edit the schedule would be rather good thing to add to my info* LOL.
    Last edited by Slyder; 04-12-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gas Prices

Gas price spikes usually occur on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays so the best time to fill up often is on a Sunday, Monday or a Tuesday morning. Depending on when you get into Lexington, if gas hasn't spiked up yet this week and you're already in Lexington, you may want to fill up ASAP in preparation for the drive back.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Gas price spikes usually occur on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays so the best time to fill up often is on a Sunday, Monday or a Tuesday morning. Depending on when you get into Lexington, if gas hasn't spiked up yet this week and you're already in Lexington, you may want to fill up ASAP in preparation for the drive back.
    It will be just a Friday day trip. Ill be heading home that night after its over. Im just debating whether it be cheaper to fill up on the way to Huntington or wait to get over the border and then fill up.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    It will be just a Friday day trip. Ill be heading home that night after its over. Im just debating whether it be cheaper to fill up on the way to Huntington or wait to get over the border and then fill up.
    You'll be at the mercy of whatever the price is on Friday then, though this may help you plot where to get gas:

http://www.cincygasprices.com/Price_By_County.aspx

Zoom in enough until you find actual station prices listed. Just know that prices can sometimes be two days off so the price shown on the map may not necessarily be the actual price when you get to the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    You'll be at the mercy of whatever the price is on Friday then, though this may help you plot where to get gas:

http://www.cincygasprices.com/Price_By_County.aspx

Zoom in enough until you find actual station prices listed. Just know that prices can sometimes be two days off so the price shown on the map may not necessarily be the actual price when you get to the station.
    I appreciate it. Is Winchester/Mt Sterling usually a few cents cheaper a gallon? If so I'll fill up here, fill up there, and top off on my way out.

William Arthur Ward

I appreciate it. Is Winchester/Mt Sterling usually a few cents cheaper a gallon? If so I'll fill up here, fill up there, and top off on my way out.
    I'm not sure if it's normally cheaper there or not. I haven't been down to that area myself in probably seven years. I'd just take a look at that map on Friday before you leave to give yourself a good area to shoot for.

On Thursdays, there are two gas stations at Exit #110 in Mt. Sterling (about 30 minutes East of Lexington) that will typically engage in some pretty decent 'price wars.'

Even if there is a truce at the time you roll through, they will be cheaper than Lexington prices for the most part. At this time, Lexington prices are averaging around $2.85/gallon--or about $0.03 more than the same time last week.

I got gas today and it was 25 cents more than it was just 10-14 days ago! I always get it at the cheapest place in town, too.

The average prices here are now about $1.00/gallon more than April 2009...

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    The average prices here are now about $1.00/gallon more than April 2009...

That's terrible.

FWIW, Filled up in Mt. Sterling today, $2.79 for regular unleaded.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

I appreciate all the tips. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for Owingsville Rd. its listed at 2.73 at a station there.

William Arthur Ward

The traffic from Huntington to Charleston is typically not bad at all. I would definitely avoid filling up in West Virginia. Due to the higher taxes there the cost of fuel is usually a tad higher than in Kentucky and Ohio. I grew up in West Virginia right on the Ohio border and always, always filled up on the Ohio side of the river as it was .10-.15 cheaper on average. That may have changed but seemed to hold true the last time I was home.

Turn Off Ads?