Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Phillies Designate Wilson Valdez For Assignment

Phillies Designate Wilson Valdez For Assignment

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Phillies Designate Wilson Valdez For Assignment
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [May 17 at 5:16pm CST]
    The Phillies designated infielder Wilson Valdez for assignment to make room for Jimmy Rollins, according to MLB.com's transactions page. The Phillies were expected to clear room for Rollins, who was on the 15-day DL with a calf injury, by designating Valdez. Because he is out of options, Valdez will have to clear waivers to remain with the Phillies.

Valdez, who turns 32 on Thursday, has been about average defensively in recent years, according to UZR. He has played outfield, second, third and short, so he makes up for his pedestrian bat with exceptional versatility. Valdez's .231/.231/.365 line means the Phillies are willing to risk losing him to another club - especially when it means making room for Rollins.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillies Designate Wilson Valdez For Assignment

Would he be a upgrade for the Reds bench over Cairo? Would he be worth a waiver claim or trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Would he be a upgrade for the Reds bench over Cairo? Would he be worth a waiver claim or trade?
    No. The Reds have better in AAA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wonder if fans of other teams will create "Reds Designate Miguel Cairo For Assignment"threads when his time comes.

Darrell Chaney....Ed Crosby....Woody Woodward....would be better than Cairo right now.

Eh, I'm looking for a more offensive minded guy for the bench, considering Janish and Nix (at this point) are mostly defensive guys.

Somebody like Matt Stairs

BTW, everyone notice that Juan Castro is still playing for the best team in the NL. Once again, I lol when people say "Only the Reds would have guys like Cairo, Patterson, Taveras, Castro, McDonald on their team."
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post

BTW, everyone notice that Juan Castro is still playing for the best team in the NL. Once again, I lol when people say "Only the Reds would have guys like Cairo, Patterson, Taveras, Castro, McDonald on their team."
    Ok, but the only difference is the Reds over-valued all of those guys except Cairo and McDonald. Patterson, Taveras, and Castro were marginal players who came at an inflated price. IMO that money could have been spent elsewhere more effectively.

The Dodgers would be fine without Juan Castro.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Eh, I'm looking for a more offensive minded guy for the bench, considering Janish and Nix (at this point) are mostly defensive guys.

Somebody like Matt Stairs

I would word it more like:

"Only the Reds would have guys like Cairo, Patterson, Taveras, Castro, McDonald starting on a regular basis for their team."

I'm going to venture that the people who said those things, were thinking more along those lines that just having a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post

"Only the Reds would have guys like Cairo, Patterson, Taveras, Castro, McDonald starting on a regular basis for their team."

I'm going to venture that the people who said those things, were thinking more along those lines that just having a roster spot.
    I don't really remember Cairo,Castro or McDonald being starters for any extended period of time and Patterson and Taveras have been able to trick teams other then the Reds.I imagine that if you looked at just about any other team you could say the same thing about a number of guys over a three year period if you wanted to stretch the truth a little.

Speaking of all this....what the heck has gotten into A-Gon...Jose Bautista in TOR?

This team signs Cairo and just about every other team has someone who is twice as good with the bat for very little $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Speaking of all this....what the heck has gotten into A-Gon...Jose Bautista in TOR?

This team signs Cairo and just about every other team has someone who is twice as good with the bat for very little $$.
    Don't confuse how well they've hit so far with how good they are and will be in the future. Chris Shelton once set the world on fire for 6 weeks. It happens every year. It doesn't mean your team should have signed Chris Shelton.

That said, Miguel Cairo does not belong on a major league roster.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I know that.

It's a mirage until it actually turns into a career season. It just amazes me that our team could not find someone better than Miguel Cairo to be a bench player. It's like the "Luis Sojo Syndrome". The Yankees obviously won in 1998-2000 beacuse of him.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post

Darnell McDonald's been starting regularly for the Red Sox for about a month now. It was fun for a week or so, but I can't wait for him to go away now.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?