Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey: If this keeps up, what to do?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Homer Bailey: If this keeps up, what to do?

Homer pitched a very good game yesterday. He's struck out 14 batters in his last 12IP, and walked only 4 in that same time.

Hopefully it's the start of him finding his groove.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think what you're really keying on is the 50+ innings Volquez threw in AAA ball during his age 23 season (his A ball foray wasn't so impressive and for a 23 year old with major league experience, his AA ball numbers aren't that eye popping).

Why is that more impressive than the 60+ innings Homer threw to end his his age 23 season-in the majors?

I think this Volquez vs Homer narrative is a bit tortured as far as pitching evaluation goes (because neither really inform the other)...

Here's a blurb about Volquez's breakout '08 season:

Of course, now Volquez has had major surgery...
    No, I'm keying in on his season, which was considerably better than Homer's.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Probably not headed to Cooperstown.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The kid's got a 10-cent head. Always has. Always will. Maybe he'll stumble across some success for a season or two somewhere in the future (after he bounces around a bit), but he ain't worth investment.

This is supposed to be his make-good year. The Reds have poured six years, millions of dollars and 43 major league starts into this guy, and he's crapping the bed. He's got no more options, so the team likely will have to live with him for the short term, but it's time to start planning for a future without him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The kid's got a 10-cent head. Always has. Always will. Maybe he'll stumble across some success for a season or two somewhere in the future (after he bounces around a bit), but he ain't worth investment.

This is supposed to be his make-good year. The Reds have poured six years, millions of dollars and 43 major league starts into this guy, and he's crapping the bed. He's got no more options, so the team likely will have to live with him for the short term, but it's time to start planning for a future without him.
    Amen. Brett Tomko was a Navy SEAL by comparison.

Gruel for brains.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Agreed. Let's just hope Volquez and Cueto can be legitimate #3 and #4 starters, and Chapman turns out to be the ace we were hoping for. Homer Bailey is going the way of Sidney Ponson, Daniel Cabrera, Anthony Reyes, and the herds of other highly touted pitching prospects that for whatever reason could never put it together in the big leagues. I wouldn't count on him as a key part of the future.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed. Let's just hope Volquez and Cueto can be legitimate #3 and #4 starters, and Chapman turns out to be the ace we were hoping for. Homer Bailey is going the way of Sidney Ponson, Daniel Cabrera, Anthony Reyes, and the herds of other highly touted pitching prospects that for whatever reason could never put it together.
    Not "for whatever reason." Several of us saw the writing on the wall a looong time ago.

Blend in "he's being developed by the Reds' farm system" and the prognosis was never terribly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed. Let's just hope Volquez and Cueto can be legitimate #3 and #4 starters, and Chapman turns out to be the ace we were hoping for. Homer Bailey is going the way of Sidney Ponson, Daniel Cabrera, Anthony Reyes, and the herds of other highly touted pitching prospects that for whatever reason could never put it together in the big leagues. I wouldn't count on him as a key part of the future.
    Cueto is in a trailer hitched to the truck Homer is driving towards bustdom. Put your eggs in that basket and you aren't going to be happy.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Cueto is in a trailer hitched to the truck Homer is driving towards bustdom. Put your eggs in that basket and you aren't going to be happy.
    I think Cueto can be a serviceable #4 starter. Unlike Bailey, he's done it in the past and his career numbers show improvement.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Cueto's been far from good, I agree. But I do think you have to give him a bit more breathing space than Homer; Cueto's control has never been close to as bad as Bailey's, and frankly, he strikes me as a bit more intelligent and coachable than Bailey.

I know folks harp on Bailey's supposed "electric" stuff, but I've just never been terribly wowed by it. Flat, straight, and hard to control. Toxic brew.

Cueto doesn't belong anywhere near a bust list, IMO. He was one of the best starters in the game last season except for about a 7-8 game stretch in the middle of the season. So far this season he has three pretty good starts, one so-so game, and two bad but not awful starts ( 6 IP, 5 R, and 5 IP, 4 R)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Amen. Brett Tomko was a Navy SEAL by comparison.

Gruel for brains.
    Could I love a post more than that one?

No I could not.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd move Cueto and Bailey to the pen. The great heater with an inability to command it screams bullpen

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Cueto doesn't belong anywhere near a bust list, IMO. He was one of the best starters in the game last season except for about a 7-8 game stretch in the middle of the season. So far this season he has three pretty good starts, one so-so game, and two bad but not awful starts ( 6 IP, 5 R, and 5 IP, 4 R)
    Cueto & Bailey are about the same age.
    Cueto's career numbers dwarf Bailey's.

From my standpoint Cueto is a bit of a disappointment & I wonder if he would be better in the pen. Bailey is terrible & I would be happy if we traded him tomorrow for someone else's failed prospect. I would honestly rather see Maloney get 26 starts this year than Homer continue to pitch.

They really need to put Bailey in the pen and bring someone up, Owings should stay in his role.

There are plenty of replaceables in the bullpen and despite playing around .500, they need to deal with the issues. Fisher's an obvious choice to demote.

Turn Off Ads?