Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Homer Bailey: If this keeps up, what to do?

Re: Homer Bailey: If this keeps up, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Whoa.

You are talking about the gentleman with the 5.66 ERA, correct? The guy with a career ERA of 5.48 with a 1.60 WHIP (ironically, both numbers close to his totals so far for this season.)

I'm still MUCH more interested in Cueto at this point, although it is nice to see Bailey string together a couple nice starts. Let's hope he continues the trend tonight...
    The only thing he's going to be doing tonight is celebrating the Reds win on the flight to Atlanta

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Whoa.

You are talking about the gentleman with the 5.66 ERA, correct? The guy with a career ERA of 5.48 with a 1.60 WHIP (ironically, both numbers close to his totals so far for this season.)

I'm still MUCH more interested in Cueto at this point, although it is nice to see Bailey string together a couple nice starts. Let's hope he continues the trend tonight...
    Did you miss that it was a day game today?
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Did you miss that it was a day game today?
    That has potential to be very hilarious.

Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I cleaned up your data Beni. Try posting the data to notepad first, cleaning it up, and then pasting it with code tags.

With today's start, he's down to a 5.21 ERA, 1.45 WHIP, with a 7.5 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9. Stellar? No. Deserving of being voted off the island? No. I continue to be amazed by people who want to draw conclusions quickly. In his last full season, he was a league average starter. His career numbers are poor in part because he was jerked around at ages 21 & 22. He put up very poor numbers and wasn't given time to establish a relationship with a pitching coach who could help him develop

If all Homer ever becomes is a guy who can eat innings with a 4.50 ERA, that's a very useful thing. Sure, we'd all be disappointed, but let's keep proper perspective. He belongs in the majors, period. Maybe he'll be an ace one day. Maybe he'll be mid-rotation filler. Or maybe he's a swing man. But he's a major league caliber pitcher.
    Thanks for the help.

I can't really disagree with any of what you say here. At worst, he is probably a serviceable #5 starter. Obviously he has a lot more upside than that, but it has been frustrating to see his breakdowns over the years.

My main argument earlier in the thread has to do with the comparisons between hm and Cueto. Even after today's outing (which I failed to acknowledge a couple posts ago because I was blatantly unaware of the day game) I would still much prefer Cueto to Bailey. That could change of course, but I take exception to those that think it's even close at this point. Johnny Cueto has improved his ERA by almost half of a run each year, and is a legitimate #2 starter right now. Homer may have the potential to get there one day, but his performance both in the past as well as this year suggests that he is not yet approaching that level.
    Go BLUE!!!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Thanks for the help.

I can't really disagree with any of what you say here. At worst, he is probably a serviceable #5 starter. Obviously he has a lot more upside than that, but it has been frustrating to see his breakdowns over the years.

My main argument earlier in the thread has to do with the comparisons between hm and Cueto. Even after today's outing (which I failed to acknowledge a couple posts ago because I was blatantly unaware of the day game) I would still much prefer Cueto to Bailey. That could change of course, but I take exception to those that think it's even close at this point. Johnny Cueto has improved his ERA by almost half of a run each year, and is a legitimate #2 starter right now. Homer may have the potential to get there one day, but his performance both in the past as well as this year suggests that he is not yet approaching that level.
    I can't say I disagree with you there either. But I do think it's important that we remember Cueto has 25 more major league starts than Homer and two full seasons in the majors. Developmentally, Homer is behind. I think this time next year we'll have a MUCH better picture of what final product Homer is going to look like.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?