Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold remedy

cold remedy

Alright my cold has moved to an unacceptable stage. I was at the doctor today who assures me that aside from cough suppressant there's not much I can do.
    I'm sitting down with a) Soup, b) a giant mug of tea and expect to load up on codeine laced robitussin(thanks doc) later tonight.

My question is does anyone have any good home remedies I can use so that when I wake up tomorrow, I'll actually be able to breath?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Re: cold remedy

Halls cough drops (or any, as long as you make sure they have menthol) should work, albeit temporarily.

Thanks. I'm stuck with a cough + athsma + allergies = sucks to be me.

The other good thing is I have a steroid I can start taking tomorrow. On Sunday I'm replacing Cairo in the lineup.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

allergies
    Benadryl for nose and throat, Visine if your eyes get bad like mine!

Fluids, Fluids, Fluids. Best thing in the world for colds. As far as home remedies for nasal congestion. Steam has always helped me, nice long hot shower will help. Maybe getting a humidifier might be helpful as well. Spicy food can help clear your congestion as well as excercise. If your trouble is mainly while your asleep raise the head of your bed.

I get head colds pretty constantly and these steps have been lifesavers for me.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm just realizing that Codeine does not in fact make me tired. Instead I'm hyper like I'm on speed. Should have taken it before I tried to work on my class project last week.

I'm now drinking theraflu. One more glass of tea after this and I should be ready for bed.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I started using a Neti Pot about a year or so ago and it has helped me a lot during allergy season and whenever I get a cold or sinus infection. If you've never heard of it, it's a nasal irrigation device that you can find in any drugstore.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I started using a Neti Pot about a year or so ago and it has helped me a lot during allergy season and whenever I get a cold or sinus infection. If you've never heard of it, it's a nasal irrigation device that you can find in any drugstore.
    Yeah, I use a homebrew method of doing the same thing. It works.

1 tablespoon of Braggs' Organic and Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with an 8 oz glass of pure 100% cranberry juice 3 times a day for 2 days.

*drink it through a straw*

/end cold, flu, etc...

Multi-Vitamins... EmergenC is decent too...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Alright my cold has moved to an unacceptable stage. I was at the doctor today who assures me that aside from cough suppressant there's not much I can do.
    Sorry to hear about that Hoosier. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Is it the common cold or a flu, meaning viral? Both are treated differently.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Thanks GAC,
    I am doing much better.

It was a weird combination of allergies, regular asthma, and a head cold which led to all the problems. The doctor said that there wasn't anything building in my chest which confused me because I could feel the constriction and had a terrible cough.

But she prescribed a steroid to help my chest, had me double up on my albuterol, and now my allergies seem to be back in control so I'm way better than on Friday.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Multi-Vitamins... EmergenC is decent too...
    Just please people don't ever use Zicam of Airborne. You'd be amazed how many people buy these and I tell them not too everyday.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Pasta with added garlic helps me.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Just please people don't ever use Zicam of Airborne. You'd be amazed how many people buy these and I tell them not too everyday.
    lol... it'll get rid of your cold, but you'll lose your sense of smell! enjoy!
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?