Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Start the Firesale

Start the Firesale

At this pace we will be 15-20 games back at the All-Star Break. If we are going to loose why not do it with our youth?

Who's getting shipped out?

Harrang
    Arroyo
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Gomes
    Cordero
    Cabrera

Any more?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Start the Firesale

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    At this pace we will be 15-20 games back at the All-Star Break. If we are going to loose why not do it with our youth?

Harrang
    Arroyo
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Gomes
    Cordero
    Cabrera

Any more?
    i would like to add Dusty Baker to that list. Possibly jay bruce, I think we could actually get something for him. Hes adam dunn without the 40+ homeruns.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd trade Bruce in a heartbeat. He's still got value.

He's not going to be a superstar like once projected. He might eventually put it together and be okay, but he's never going to be awesome. Too many holes in his swing.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I would definitely try to trade Harang, but I doubt anyone would be interested in him. I also wouldn't mind trading Phillips, he's a solid player, but overpaid.
    I'd try to hang on to Arroyo if I could, he's pitching as well as he ever has if you go back to last season, and even his last start if you eliminate the one bad inning. I would also keep coco, but I know most people around here wouldn't, and he certainly didn't help my case last night. Keep in mind though before you're ready for a firesale the last two games couldve just as easily been wins as losses, and both games were played without rolen, and one without votto.
    Last edited by mroby85; 04-18-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Re: Start the Firesale??? _ You Gotta Be Kidding Me...

After 12 games??
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Re: Start the Firesale??? _ You Gotta Be Kidding Me...

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    After 12 games??
    I agree. We are 2.5 games out. EVERY team will go through a stint like this at some point in the season. Hopefully we are just hitting ours now. The only two things I'm really concerned about at this point:

1. Harang, but I think hes fixable. Hes too consistent....low outside corner, low away, low away, low, low, low. He needs to change the eye level. Even Maddux had to do this, he wasnt just hitting corners the entire time.

2. The Effect of Dusty Baker. His counter effect on Brandon Phillips on what everyone has tried to fix his entire career. Hes not a #4 hitter and his problem is he thinks he is. When hes right hes hitting the ball the opposite way, however its clear his hips pop way too early on every swing trying to pull the ball. He doesnt have the bat speed to pull the ball like that. Effect on Bruce as well. When he was first coming up I heard how hes a complete hitter also willing to go the other way. After his early success I remember hearing Dusty was wanting him to try and pull the ball more for power.

Dusty simply is a joke. Everyone knows it. You dont have to look any further than him running Corey Patterson and Willie Taveras out there continuously. His logic is flawed to the point that everyone knows hes a fool. Because he was a good player doesnt mean hes a good coach.

How about we wait at least a month before we start the firesale discussion. It is so clear that losing for so long doesn't just affect the players but their fans as well.

One 3 game losing streak and the sky is falling.
    That happens on road trips.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    One 3 game losing streak and the sky is falling.
    That happens on road trips.
    4 games

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post

Harrang
    Arroyo
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Gomes
    Cordero
    Cabrera

Any more?

Gomes only makes 800k

Harrang, Rolen, & Cordero are untradable unless the Reds pay their contracts. The Reds tried all offseason to move Harrang & Cordero. Rolen is being overpaid and has proven he can not stay healthy.

That leaves Cabrera, Arroyo, & Phillips from your list. Arroyo is a solid pitcher who has the most quality starts for a SP over the last 4 years. You need at least on "veteran" SP when you have a young staff.

Cabrera is making 770k this season he already got 1.5 million signing bonus. But it will also cost them 1M if they do not pick up his 2011 option. so trading him only saves a prorated 1.77 M

Unless Phillips picks up the pace no one will trade for him, he is owed 10:$6.75M, 11:$11M, 12:$12M. And if he picks up the pace the Reds will not want to move him

5 games now. And all teams do go through a rough patch. The Reds just go through one every 3 or 4 days

Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    5 games now. And all teams do go through a rough patch. The Reds just go through one every 3 or 4 days
    do all teams get swept by the pirates? no, but the terrible teams do :thumbdown

I think its gonna be Rick sweet's time soon in Cincinnati....Harang will be traded but will have to be packaged with someone else if we want to get rid of him. Maybe Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey, Juan Francisco or Brandon Phillips. We need major help at the catching position. Dont think it was a good idea to bring Ramon back. The pitching needs to step it up or Coco and Arthur Rhodes arent gonna be in Cincinnati by the end of the season

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm ready for Rick Sweet.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    i would like to add Dusty Baker to that list. Possibly jay bruce, I think we could actually get something for him. Hes adam dunn without the 40+ homeruns.
    I was thinking the same thing the other day. Bruce is like Adam Dunn without the talent.

We have to give him credit for his defense though. His arm has stopped a lot of people from stretching singles into doubles.

Turn Off Ads?