Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Predict the Bengals draft 2010

Re: Predict the Bengals draft 2010

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Mardy profiles as a slot receiver in the NFL. One that gets under and grabs the YAC. I can see how they comp.

Profiling as a slot reciever is really where the comps stop IMO. TJ is a much stronger WR with the ability to take the big hits. He was able to get yards even after the contact. Mardy doesn't have the body to do that right now. Like I said, maybe it is just me, but I just don't see it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Profiling as a slot reciever is really where the comps stop IMO. TJ is a much stronger WR with the ability to take the big hits. He was able to get yards even after the contact. Mardy doesn't have the body to do that right now. Like I said, maybe it is just me, but I just don't see it.
    I think you taking the comp a lot more literal than I took it. I think he was comping like he could fit that roll and is good at getting YAC. Of course they arent the same body types.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I think you taking the comp a lot more literal than I took it. I think he was comping like he could fit that roll and is good at getting YAC. Of course they arent the same body types.

Maybe, but when I think about TJ, I don't just think typical slot reciever. Comping someone to TJ to me means that they are going to be a hard nose possesion reciever willing to take the big hits and getting yards after contact, not just someone who sneaks under coverage and then tries to make people miss which is where I think Gilyard will fit in best. TJ wasn't your typical slot reciever. Thats where the comp is lost on me.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I would not mind a Mardy Gilyard pick in the second round, but I think I would much prefer to wait for a receiver until the third round unless Dez Bryant falls to us in the first. I think the Bengals have to look at Iupati, Pouncey, Bryant, Mays, Earl Thomas and Pierre-Paul with their first round pick and then pick up a guard or safety in the second round. There are a lot of good receivers in this draft and one of them will be there in the third round.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I would not mind a Mardy Gilyard pick in the second round, but I think I would much prefer to wait for a receiver until the third round unless Dez Bryant falls to us in the first. I think the Bengals have to look at Iupati, Pouncey, Bryant, Mays, Earl Thomas and Pierre-Paul with their first round pick and then pick up a guard or safety in the second round. There are a lot of good receivers in this draft and one of them will be there in the third round.
    If Golden Tate or Arrelious Benn somehow fall to the Bengals in the 2nd round, you have to be all over it.

Otherwise hope that Gilyard, Damian Williams or Brandon LaFell fall to the 3rd. Or take Jordan Shipley or Jacoby Ford in the 4th.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Wow. I want nothing to do with Pouncey or Pierre-Paul. I think the Bengals are fine with Cook at C and Pierre-Paul really has had a handful of good games during his entire college career. IIRC during his one D1 NCAA season he missed a couple of games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Wow. I want nothing to do with Pouncey or Pierre-Paul. I think the Bengals are fine with Cook at C and Pierre-Paul really has had a handful of good games during his entire college career. IIRC during his one D1 NCAA season he missed a couple of games as well.
    We are fine with Cook but our guard situation is tentative at best. Pouncey could be an excellent pulling LG, for us right now. The fact he can also be a future Center as well is just icing on the cake. Say Cook gets hurt down the road here and Luigs doesn't pan out, we still would have Pouncey on board. Pouncey is one of the wiser selections at that point IMO, if he is even still there. I can see a team like Pittsburgh value him a great deal. On Pierre Paul, well it's hard not to like the talent level, I could see worse happening than to pick him.

On Gilyard, I don't mind him after the 3rd round prior to that I'm not enamored with him. He's not big, not particularly fast so other than him being a loyal UC player I don't see the draw.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-22-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think back to the end of last season and think about what all of us were upset with. It wasn't depth at safety or corner, it wasn't the offensive line. It was the total ineffectiveness of the offense. Now adding Antonio Bryant helps, but this team has not done anything else to upgrade the offense. I am not going to pretend that picking Iupati, or Pouncey is going to help this team in 2010. Go get me a weapon for Carson Palmer. I want to see Dez Bryant or Jermaine Gresham and it really isn't open for debate for me, if either is available. I can't go into the season with a TE/Backup receiver group of Coats, Coffman, Simpson, Caldwell, Jones, Cosby, plus lower round picks. You can't tell me that this team can compete without another playmaker who can catch the ball.

That is all. Thank You.

PS, I could also live with a pass rushing DE/OLB
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think back to the end of last season and think about what all of us were upset with. It wasn't depth at safety or corner, it wasn't the offensive line. It was the total ineffectiveness of the offense. Now adding Antonio Bryant helps, but this team has not done anything else to upgrade the offense. I am not going to pretend that picking Iupati, or Pouncey is going to help this team in 2010. Go get me a weapon for Carson Palmer. I want to see Dez Bryant or Jermaine Gresham and it really isn't open for debate for me, if either is available. I can't go into the season with a TE/Backup receiver group of Coats, Coffman, Simpson, Caldwell, Jones, Cosby, plus lower round picks. You can't tell me that this team can compete without another playmaker who can catch the ball.

That is all. Thank You.

PS, I could also live with a pass rushing DE/OLB
    Playing Devils Advocate even without Henry but with TJ we didn't have problems moving the ball methodically down the field. If Bryant can both stretch the field and play underneath (i.e. get open consistently and catch the ball) then we can go with primarily blockers at the TE position. Sure we complained about the offense and a part of it was a lack of playmakers, but Carson was also part of the equation and his play did indeed have some correlation to the play of the line. No it wasn't awful, but it could be and can be improved and it would help. They do not have to take a WR or TE with the 1st pick for them to address the issues we have. I don't even know how Dez Bryant is supposed to help while sitting on the bench on 1st and 2nd down. And yeah Safety was an issue remember Dustin Keller, amongst other TE's who handled us all season long?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Playing Devils Advocate even without Henry but with TJ we didn't have problems moving the ball methodically down the field. If Bryant can both stretch the field and play underneath (i.e. get open consistently and catch the ball) then we can go with primarily blockers at the TE position. Sure we complained about the offense and a part of it was a lack of playmakers, but Carson was also part of the equation and his play did indeed have some correlation to the play of the line. No it wasn't awful, but it could be and can be improved and it would help. They do not have to take a WR or TE with the 1st pick for them to address the issues we have. I don't even know how Dez Bryant is supposed to help while sitting on the bench on 1st and 2nd down. And yeah Safety was an issue remember Dustin Keller, amongst other TE's who handled us all season long?
    I expect Thomas and Berry to be gone. I don't want Mays at 21 if it means passing on Gresham or Bryant.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I expect Thomas and Berry to be gone. I don't want Mays at 21 if it means passing on Gresham or Bryant.
    I think it will be Gresham with the first pick. They might prefer Bryant but it seems unlikely that he'll drop past several WR-needy teams. In the end, I think it will be one of those three unless all are inexplicably picked before the Bengals.

Edit: I think we'll find out with the first pick if the Marvin Lewis is still all in on his plan to win with defense and running the ball. Gresham won't help the running game and Bryant won't get on the field much in two tight end sets. If they stick with that plan then it is likely Mays.
    Last edited by joshnky; 04-22-2010 at 05:26 PM.

I'm 1 for 1.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'm 1 for 1.
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    1st round - Maurkice Pouncey C Florida
    2nd round - Mardy Gilyard WR Cincinnati
    3rd round - Lamarr Houston DT Texas
    3rd round - Major Wright S Florida
    4th round - Anthony McCoy TE USC
    4th round - Ben Tate RB Auburn
    5th round - Dan LeFevour QB Central Michigan
    6th round - Clifton Geathers DE South Carolina
    7th round - Aaron Pettrey K Ohio State
    So far I'm 0-4! Very Drew Stubbs of me :
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So far I'm 0-4! Very Drew Stubbs of me :
    WVRF and I picked Gresham, Oxilon nailed Dunlap and I did at least nail a WR in the right spot in the 3rd just not on the same wavelength as the Bengals as to who. Still think Carlton Mitchell will be one of the steals of the draft.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?