Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baseball playing advice...

Baseball playing advice...

2 years ago, started watching Reds, picked up a ball, and decided the sport was fun. Next month I'll be starting my first season of organized baseball, Little League-- Juniors division-- 13-14 yr. olds.

Any playing advice at all, on any aspect of the game, is appreciated.

My current equipment:

Rawlings Renegade glove. Mine is technically a pitcher's glove I believe, but I love it. Don't know what position I'll be playing. Don't know what size the glove is.

32" Rawlings Renegade bat-- A bit lighter.

33" Rawlings Renegade bat-- This is my preferred (aluminum) bat.

Have a 33" Louisville Slugger that I love, but unfortunately Little League, or anything short of the Pros for that matter, only permits aluminum bats.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Baseball playing advice...

- Practice, Practice, Practice
    - Keep your eye on the ball
    - When playing the field.. don't act like you are swinging a bat or throwing a pitch. Stay on the balls of your feet.
    - Go to batting cages as much as possible and run no matter what.
    - Stay positive

Watch the game as much as possible and pay attention to what all the players are doing on every play. Many players today want to make the headlines by hitting the furthest HR or striking out the most batters, but it is amazing how many games come down to who can catch the ball or hit the cut-off man or take an extra base on a throw, etc etc etc. Especially at your level.

Another thing I've noticed is that every player has somewhere he needs to be on every play. Like in football....

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Don't just stand at the plate. Pick out a pitch and swing. Swing hard. Don't be afraid to strike out.

Defensively, back up who you're supposed to. You'll win at least one game in your life because you did. (I helped win a game in Little League, one in high school, and one in college by being involved in plays where a smart ballplayer backed up someone else and was able to make a play when the runner assumed he was going to score/ take the extra base.)

Definitely go to batting cages as much as possible. Even better if you can go with someone who knows baseball to help you with your swing, or pay for instruction if it's in your budget.

I always went to Mr. D's batting cage back in the day. Anyone know if he's still around? Probably not.

Anyway, I never hit the ball better than after I'd been to the cage and worked on my swing with proper instruction.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

See de ball, hit de ball.

I tell new guys that want to learn to umpire....If you want to be a good umpire then you need to umpire alot of games.

So my advice to you is....If you want to be a good baseball player then you need to play in alot of baseball games.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Always hustle out of the batters box, regardless of what is unfolding in front of you. I poached a lot of times on base by doing just that. You never know what is going to happen, and by hustling you will always be in position to take advantage.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Watch tape of Wily Taveras and do the opposite of what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Always hustle out of the batters box, regardless of what is unfolding in front of you. I poached a lot of times on base by doing just that. You never know what is going to happen, and by hustling you will always be in position to take advantage.
    Always hustle everywhere. Some players are nonchalant -- don't be one of them.

On defense, mentally tell yourself what you are going to do before each pitch. Tell yourself how many outs there are, where you need to be after the ball is hit, and where you're going to throw if the ball comes to you. This helps you to stay sharp on every play.

In the batter's box, relax and let your swing flow naturally. If you try to force it or muscle up, you won't succeed.

Let yourself appreciate the good plays you make, but do it in small ways, like a single hand clap, or a single fist-pound into your glove.

When you make a bad play, take a moment to figure out what you did wrong, and how to do it better. Then let it go.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 02-15-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

For Offense:

Try to find an adult who's willing to help you with your swing, preferably someone who's played baseball beyond High School.

For Defense:

You can do this by yourself:

Find a cemented area with a wall you can throw a baseball against and DO NOT use a glove. Because you have to use your fingers, it causes you to use both hands and to field the ball by using your feet. Great fielders field with their feet, not their hands. It also causes you to keep your hands as low as possible and lift with your arms while keeping your hands together. There is no better exercise for teaching you fielding than this. It keeps you from "stabbing" at the ball, reaching across your body for the ball, and teaches you to keep your body in front of the ball (because you have to run about 30-40 yards every time you miss it ).

20 minutes of this per day, and you'll be an excellent fielder in just 30 days.

If you're always bringing the ball "up" with your hands, and you're fielding with your feet (causing you to get to the ball where it's between your legs) you put yourself in the best throwing position for making a throw to a base. You'll learn this naturally from this exercise. Keep your hands down and NEVER let the ball go under you. ALWAYS try to get your feet into position so that your hands are between your feet when you field the ball. ONLY go across your body as a last resort.

With you doing the throwing, you can stretch yourself to the left or the right as much as you want to. You control the tempo and the speed. I guarantee you that if you do this, you'll become a better fielder than anyone you play with. But, remember that great fielding won't get you playing time. You have to be able to hit.

Don't try to learn how to field by watching Major League players. Too many of them do it poorly and lazily (which leads to errors and hits).

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-16-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Thanks for all the tips so far.

All of the above is really good advice. I will tell you what I tell youngsters all the time and it has nothing to do with fundamentals or techniques. Never forget that baseball is the greatest game in the world. Sometimes I think I would give my right arm to be your age again and to be able to run around on a field all day throwing, hitting and catching. Don't take it too seriously, baseball (and life for that matter) get serious soon enough. Every day you step out on that field is a blessing and make sure to take full advantage of it. Have fun out there and soak in every minute of it...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

All the above advice is ok, I guess, but the best advice I can think of is to be talented, be as talented as possible.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?