Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Redszone NBA Playoff Thread, now with more accuracy!

Re: The Official Redszone NBA Playoff Thread, now with more accuracy!

Hey Paul, do us all a favor and leave the wheelchair at home for game 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lakers vs. Celtics in the finals? What a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Lakers vs. Celtics in the finals? What a shocker.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

LeBron went to the Finals in 2006 when the East was extremely weak. The Pistons were on their last legs, and only two teams won 50 games. That Finals run was pretty fluky. I don't think we can read too much into that season.
    As for some of the comparisons, I have a few takes.
    1) The Cavs would trade Jamison for Gasol so quickly that it wouldn't even be funny. In fact, they would probably have to throw in another player to make it happen. Gasol is a top 3 post player in the league and Jamison is a tweener who is a disaster defensively.
    2) Williams vs. Fisher is probably closer than you think. Williams is closer to a 2 guard than a PG and is a streaky shooter. Williams is simply asked to do more in Cleveland's offense than Fisher is in LA's offense. But, Fish pulls off 1-2 plays per game that turn a game towards the Lakers (a big 3, taking a charge, etc...).
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    LeBron went to the Finals in 2006 when the East was extremely weak. The Pistons were on their last legs, and only two teams won 50 games. That Finals run was pretty fluky. I don't think we can read too much into that season.
    As for some of the comparisons, I have a few takes.
    1) The Cavs would trade Jamison for Gasol so quickly that it wouldn't even be funny. In fact, they would probably have to throw in another player to make it happen. Gasol is a top 3 post player in the league and Jamison is a tweener who is a disaster defensively.
    2) Williams vs. Fisher is probably closer than you think. Williams is closer to a 2 guard than a PG and is a streaky shooter. Williams is simply asked to do more in Cleveland's offense than Fisher is in LA's offense. But, Fish pulls off 1-2 plays per game that turn a game towards the Lakers (a big 3, taking a charge, etc...).
    And Fisher is closer to a 2 guard than a PG too. Kobe and Odom get the Lakers into their offense, not Fisher.

And yes, Gasol is one of the best post players in the league now. He was simply nothing more than a "good player" when he came to the Lakers. Kobe has taken his game to another level, thus "making his teammate better."

And Lamar Odom was a tweener who was a disaster on defense and didn't try all the time when he came to the Lakers. And Kobe made him better.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-31-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I should have never hi-jacked this thread into Kobe vs. Lebron, and I apologize. I'm not willing to discuss it any further. You can take this as me waving the white flag, but it's silly to debate, because everyone has already made up their mind, and it's not going to change.

Let's continue to discuss the NBA playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I should have never hi-jacked this thread into Kobe vs. Lebron, and I apologize. I'm not willing to discuss it any further. You can take this as me waving the white flag, but it's silly to debate, because everyone has already made up their mind, and it's not going to change.

Let's continue to discuss the NBA playoffs.

Shaq < Bynum
    Jamison < Gasol
    James > Artest
    Parker < Bryant
    Williams > Fisher

6th Man
    West < Odom

Bench
    Cavs = Lakers

As to teams, the Lakers are far better. I can't believe anyone would question that. Too, the Lakers have been better for years. I also cannot believe anyone would argue that.

But Bryant and James are pretty much identical, IMO. Both are phenomenal players who take a ton of shots, makes a ridiculous amount of bad shots, and play realy well on both sides of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Shaq < Bynum
    Jamison < Gasol
    James > Artest
    Parker < Bryant
    Williams > Fisher

6th Man
    West < Odom

Bench
    Cavs = Lakers

As to teams, the Lakers are far better. I can't believe anyone would question that. Too, the Lakers have been better for years. I also cannot believe anyone would argue that.

But Bryant and James are pretty much identical, IMO. Both are phenomenal players who take a ton of shots, makes a ridiculous amount of bad shots, and play realy well on both sides of the ball.
    My entire point. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And yes, Gasol is one of the best post players in the league now. He was simply nothing more than a "good player" when he came to the Lakers. Kobe has taken his game to another level, thus "making his teammate better."
    Also, having some guy named "Phil Jackson" has probably helped Lamar, etc...
    Put it this way, Lamar did some amazing things on the Heat, Gasol got the Grizzlies, and Artest would have gone to the Finals if not for the brawl. They were all very good to great players before they entered Kobe's orbit.
    Last edited by improbus; 05-31-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Lakers v. Celtics:

Perkins > Bynum
    Garnett < Gasol
    Pierce > Artest
    Allen < Bryant
    Rondo > Fisher

6th Man
    Davis < Odom

Bench
    Celtics > Lakers

Really, really even. The C's are old and dinged up, though, and the Lakers are fairly fresh.

Celtics
    The Optimist Says: Rondo should do major damage, as he's been among the best and most important players throughout the playoffs. Fisher can't stay in front of him and the Lakers aren't a big shot-clocking, physically imposing team, so he should be able to get into the lane. Allen always seems to play up to Bryant's level and may be the only player that's ever gotten into Kobe's head. Perkins gets a fresh start, too, and should be ready to go from the get-go. (He matches up well with Bynum or Gasol, too.)

The Pessimist Says:
    Kobe may score 50 a night. Allen can't guard Bryant. At all. Neither can Pierce. Maybe Rondo can keep in front of him, but he's too short and small in stature. Garnett may be able to stick with Gasol and keep him below 25. Last time, The C's were able to outmuscle LA, but, this year, Boston is older, less athletic, and brittle across the front line (Garnett, Davis, Wallace, and Perkins are all banged up) and small in the backcourt.

LA
    The Optimist Says:
    Kobe's still Kobe. Gasol may be the second best player on the court. And Odom's in the picture for the fifth. In other words, the talent is definitely on the Laker's side. Rondo is a lesser Nash and the Lakers played well against him. In fact, Boston may be the third most talented team the Lakers have faced this playoffs.

The Pessimist Says:
    Boston's style frustrates LA and has for years. Stranger things have happened than to see the Old Three find the fountain of youth for seven games. It happened with Boston for years. If Boston can shoot from 3 as well as they did against Orlando, they may give LA fits, too, as the Lakers aren't great in a jump shooting contest. IF it gets into a battle of the benches, LA is in trouble. Boston's bench is top notch, with Nate the Great, Wallace, Big Baby, etc.

Buck Foston

I see it at pretty close to a toss-up, but I like the Lakers in 7 since they have home court advantage. Its going to be a great series.

I read over the weekend that Rasheed Wallace is the only player to be kicked out of the McDonald's All-American Game. How fitting.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

You maybe need to check the stats again. Gasol was a bona fide star in Memphis. It's just that he played for Memphis. Who noticed?

The year before he came to L.A., Gasol averaged 20.8 ppg, 9.8 rpg and 2.1 bpg. while shooting 53.8% (throw in 3.4 apg). That is a helluva lot more than a "good player".

That Gasol trade needs to be looked into by authorities, charges need to be filed against Jerry West. Serious.

Turn Off Ads?