Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Redszone NBA Playoff Thread, now with more accuracy!

Re: The Official Redszone NBA Playoff Thread, now with more accuracy!

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Its not like Perkins scores 20 ppg, they need Bynum for Defense. Fisher always guards Allen, he's very good at fighting the screens. And bynum is going to play like 20 minutes, and Odom is still going to get 30 minutes, like in the regular season, so i don't see your point. Gasol can't play Center the whole game. If you start Odom theat makes the bench very weak. Didn"t you see what Artest did to Durant?? Ariza wouldnt have played that defense on Durant, Melo always kills Ariza because of his size, Ariza struggels with bigger players, and they didn't offer Ariza anything, they made their offer to Artest. And its not guarding Perkins thats the problem, its the rebounding, GASOL gets pushed around by Perkins because of his size, Garnett pushes around Odom because of his size, so having Bynum helps the Lakers wih the rebounding
    I saw Kevin Durant look like the 21 year old (22?) that he is. I'll bet that Paul Pierce is going to use Artest's physicallness agaisnt him, and flop his way into a few fouls (I'm no Pierce fan, but he's a wily veteran).

I never said anything about Odom starting. It doesn't matter who starts. It matters who gets more minutes. Sure Bynum can help on defense/rebounding, but he isn't physically ready for big minutes at this point. So, like I said, he can't really be relied upon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I saw Kevin Durant look like the 21 year old (22?) that he is. I'll bet that Paul Pierce is going to use Artest's physicallness agaisnt him, and flop his way into a few fouls (I'm no Pierce fan, but he's a wily veteran).

I never said anything about Odom starting. It doesn't matter who starts. It matters who gets more minutes. Sure Bynum can help on defense/rebounding, but he isn't physically ready for big minutes at this point. So, like I said, he can't really be relied upon.
    Yeah, because lord knows Ron Artest has never guarded a superstar before.

Ron Artest is a much, much better and smarter player than you're giving him credit for.

The Lakers matchup with the Celtics much better than they did last time around.

Kobe/Rondo
    Fisher/Allen
    Artest/Pierce
    Gasol/KG
    Bynum/Perkins

Odom/Wallace
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Im not saying Artest is going to stop Pierce, but he's going to do a way better job then what Walton/Rad did. Bynum has been playing pretty solid, not bad, in the Zone defense i kida ruin his numbers, just like they did with Gasols, so dont look at his ppg

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yeah, because lord knows Ron Artest has never guarded a superstar before.

Ron Artest is a much, much better and smarter player than you're giving him credit for.

The Lakers matchup with the Celtics much better than they did last time around.

Kobe/Rondo
    Fisher/Allen
    Artest/Pierce
    Gasol/KG
    Bynum/Perkins

Odom/Wallace
    I never said Artest hasn't guarded a superstar before. I just don't think he's nearly the defender he used to be. Add in the fact that he can't shoot, and you have a player that isn't very valuable (in the first year of a 5 year deal).

I have very legit doubts about 3 of the 5 starters on the Lakers. Granted, Kobe is the best player in this series, and Gasol is certainly one of the top 4 players of the series.

I never said Artest hasn't guarded a superstar before. I just don't think he's nearly the defender he used to be. Add in the fact that he can't shoot, and you have a player that isn't very valuable (in the first year of a 5 year deal).

I have very legit doubts about 3 of the 5 starters on the Lakers. Granted, Kobe is the best player in this series, and Gasol is certainly one of the top 4 players of the series.
    I think he proved in the first round he is a damn good defender.

And jesus, Ron Artest is 30, not 55.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-01-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Bynum had his knee drained yesterday and he's expected to have better mobility. He still won't be 100 percent healthy, but he will likely be playing better than he has done in the playoff thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Bynum had his knee drained yesterday and he's expected to have better mobility. He still won't be 100 percent healthy, but he will likely be playing better than he has done in the playoff thus far.
    See also: Kobe's numbers pre and post getting his knee drained.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    See also: Kobe's numbers pre and post getting his knee drained.
    Yup, Bynum is going to start putting in threes while two Boston defenders are in his face.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Yup, Bynum is going to start putting in threes while two Boston defenders are in his face.
    YouTube - Andrew Bynum Shoots A 3 Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Lakers v. Celtics:

Perkins > Bynum
    Garnett < Gasol
    Pierce > Artest
    Allen < Bryant
    Rondo > Fisher

6th Man
    Davis < Odom

Bench
    Celtics > Lakers
    I like what you're doing here, but I think you could take it a degree further
    Perkins = Bynum - Bynum is better but hurt and Perk has not lived up to his play of two years ago and is a threat to be suspended.
    Garnett << Gasol - Garnett has flashes, but can't be consistent. Gasol should eat him up.
    Pierce > Artest - Pierce is better than Artest, but I do think that Artest matches up well with Pierce. Pierce relies on old-man-moves and muscle which Artest can still defend very well. That said, if Artest takes over 4 threes a game, the Celtics would be thrilled.
    Allen <<< Bryant - Kobe can sense Jordan's 6 championships. But, don't forget that he just about quit in the 2008 Finals.
    Rondo >>>> Fisher - Four arrows may not be enough. Fish will make one or two veteran clever plays a game but Rondo will make twenty great athletic plays.

6th Man
    Davis << Odom - Odom's length is devastating and Davis is very inconsistent.

Bench
    Celtics > Lakers - The Lakers Bench has played one good game (even the Machine hit some shots), but I would expect Boston's bench (with the rejuvenated Nate Robinson) to outperform them.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

In the previous post, we discussed the Paul Pierce vs. Ron Artest matchup that is sure to be a focal point of the 2010 NBA Finals due to the fact that Artest is one of the few changes to the starting lineup since these teams last met in the 2008 championship round.

So how exactly has Pierce fared against Artest? The wizards at ESPN Stats & Information crunched the numbers and Artest has enjoyed more success than you might think as Pierce is averaging a mere 0.58 points per play against Artest over the past three regular seasons.

To quantify that, let's first explain how that metric is determined: A play is defined as any field goal attempt, trip to the foul line, or turnover. The only plays registered are when Artest is the initial defender, and does not include points scored off switches, offensive rebounds, cuts, and transition plays.

In a nutshell, this is 1-on-1 basketball. Ball-handler vs. defender.

Under that scenario, Pierce ran 38 plays and scored 22 points on 6-of-26 shooting (23.1 percent) with eight turnovers and four trips to the foul line. The mere fact that Pierce generated more turnovers than field goals suggests Artest has dominated the matchup.

Given the way Pierce struggled offensively against Cleveland's LeBron James, it's worth watching if he's able to keep up his offensive exploits from the Eastern Confernce finals against the Magic. After all, Pierce will likely draw the already daunting task of guarding Kobe Bryant, much like he checked James in the second round, and used up much of his energy at that end of the floor.

Here's one more set of numbers for you to chomp on: The last time Pierce and Artest met in the postseason was the opening round of the 2004 playoffs. Not only did the Pacers sweep, Pierce averaged 20.8 points per game on 34.2 percent shooting (just 29.4 percent from beyond the arc, while committing 6.3 turnovers per game.

Good stuff right there.

Boston in 6.

Random prediction as I don't watch much if any NBA ball.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I'll go Lakers in 6.

I can't handle another finals loss to Boston.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Celtics in 6 for ME!
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?