Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brook Jacoby

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Brook Jacoby

He's in his 4th year as the Reds hitting instructor.
    He was a roving hitting instructor for the Reds minor leagues in 2000 and AAA hitting coach in 2001-2002.
    Here is the decline of the Reds offense since his first season in 2007:
    Year:............... 2007, 2008, 2009
    Runs scored.......783, 704, 673,
    Runs per game: 4.83, 4.35, .4.15
    Batting Average .267, .247, .247
    On-base %....... .335, .321, .318

Thanks, Lance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Brook Jacoby

It's hard to extract his impact from the changing talent. However, I've not really seen any players who have been here for the last few years grow under Jacoby's tutelage. The one that stands out to me is Phillips.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I can't blame everything on Jacoby, but I really don't see any reason to keep him around at this point. He may be a great hitting coach, but we'll never know that with this bunch. All I know is the current situation isn't working.

Votto has done fine as a hitter under Jacoby. Just sayin'.

I don't care one way or another whether he stays or goes, but I don't think he's the reason for the offensive woes, and I don't think it gets better if he is replaced. This team is what it is offensively, and its chock-full of hitters who hack and do not work counts. They will be OBP challenged and will have a tough time scoring.

The issue in Cincy remains one of talent. They do not have enough on offense. They will need the pitching and defense to be a LOT better than they have been so far to have a chance at .500.

It is what it is, at this point.

Get better hitters and Jacoby looks like a genius.

To me, blaming the Reds offensive woes on the hitting coach is tilting at windmills.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It's hard to extract his impact from the changing talent. However, I've not really seen any players who have been here for the last few years grow under Jacoby's tutelage. The one that stands out to me is Phillips.
    Phillips, Bruce, Dunn; like you said, no one.

I've said this again and again. Guys aren't blossoming under him. I don't think it's going un-noticed. I think Jacoby is next on the chopping block. Before Dusty and before any players. I truly think he's gone by Memorial Day barring some type of 10 game run where we look like a functional offense.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

If things keep going like they are the natural order of progression is usually:

Fire the hitting coach/Jacoby about mid May or so.

No improvement within six weeks manager/Baker gets the ax.

Then the Reds start chasing their tail once more.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Get better hitters and Jacoby looks like a genius.

To me, blaming the Reds offensive woes on the hitting coach is tilting at windmills.
    Although I agree that the talent is severely lacking, I have to question the overall hitting approach. That is something that I put on the coaches/organizational philosophy.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If things keep going like they are the natural order of progression is usually:

Fire the hitting coach/Jacoby about mid May or so.

No improvement within six weeks manager/Baker gets the ax.

Then the Reds start chasing their tail once more.
    I really think Baker survives the season no matter what.

If Baker doesn't, I think that Rick Sweet would be an excellent choice to manage this group. There aren't any broodish veterans who would feel they're above him, and a lot of these young guys might find comfort in Sweet. Sweet has paid his dues in the minors and would be the logical choice IMHO.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Although I agree that the talent is severely lacking, I have to question the overall hitting approach. That is something that I put on the coaches/organizational philosophy.
    I put that on player acquisition.

"Look, we've signed a bunch of guys who don't get on base and make a lot of outs and somehow, they don't get on base and make a lot of outs."

And I'm talking beyond the fledgling season at hand.

Tilting at windmills.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Hard to fault hitting approach across the board, especially since philosphy and approach about hitting is generally developed prior to any MLB experience. Newsflash, hitting coaches don't turn whole teams and organizations around themselves, if any luck falls on them they will change the game of 1-2 impact players, they will enrich one loser who always seemed lost, meanwhile other guys will fall to the wayside, and often all the coaching in the world can't save them.

To obtain a unified philosophy at hitting put together a group from your own minor league system, stick with them from lower minors to the NL Central and then examine the results.

This of course doesn't mean that any mans job is safe, but instead points out the shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic approach to team building that so many here have and the whiplash inducing changes they think the team should make with a mere 8% of the season of the season gone.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    If Baker doesn't [survive], I think that Rick Sweet would be an excellent choice to manage this group. There aren't any broodish veterans who would feel they're above him, and a lot of these young guys might find comfort in Sweet. Sweet has paid his dues in the minors and would be the logical choice IMHO.
    Here are the current team batting stats for Louisville:

Batting average: .207, last out of the 14 teams in the International League.
    OBP: .282, 13th out of 14 teams.
    SLG: .376, 11th out of 14 teams.
    OPS: .658, 13th out of 14 teams.

If Rick Sweet can't do any better than that with his charges at AAA, why would we presume he'd work miracles at the ML level? If Dusty goes, I don't want Sweet replacing him, unless it's just on an interim basis. My preference: A new manager from outside the Reds' system who understands the value of OBP, and knows how to best construct lineups to deliver the most runs. Working well with youngsters would also be a plus.

Should Dusty and Jacoby go? Yes, if the team continues to sputter and flounder like it has been. Might not be entirely Dusty and Jacoby's fault, but it's easier to fire a manager and batting coach than to wipe out an entire team. And, if the truth be known, Dusty and Jacoby deserve a share of the blame for the Reds' "hackiness." It reflects their philosophies, as well as their choices of players (for instance, Cairo over Sutton, or Nix over Balentien or Dorn).

I hear Brook Jacoby is dating Dusty's daughter....
    Win the Division

Bring back Chambliss.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I put that on player acquisition.

"Look, we've signed a bunch of guys who don't get on base and make a lot of outs and somehow, they don't get on base and make a lot of outs."

And I'm talking beyond the fledgling season at hand.

Tilting at windmills.
    Lookeeeeee there, someone in the crowd amongst us really get's it.

Besides Jacoby is just doing what his boss tells him.

I have confidence that Mr. Jocketty can do better choosing his own people, than the ones he inherited from Mr. Castellini and his direct or indirect hires.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-19-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?