Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Chapman start 4-22-10

  1. #16
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,429

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    No, he's not ready for the majors. But it's pretty impressive when a guy goes 5 1/3 strikes out 8, gives up 0 earned runs and everyone goes meh.

    If his name was not Chapman people would be begging the Reds to bring him up.
    Not if he was walking as many guys as he is.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not if he was walking as many guys as he is.
    The strike zone was very inconsistent, I was sitting right behind the plate. He lost one and "hit the bull" threw it behind the batter at like 94+. He is very impressive and throws without effort.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  4. #18
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    No, he's not ready for the majors. But it's pretty impressive when a guy goes 5 1/3 strikes out 8, gives up 0 earned runs and everyone goes meh.

    If his name was not Chapman people would be begging the Reds to bring him up.
    Code:
    Date	OPP	W	L	ERA	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVG
    Apr 19	COL	1	0	0.00	8.0	2	0	0	0	0	9	2.75	.080
    Do you hear the screams to bring LeCure up?

  5. #19
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,429

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    The strike zone was very inconsistent, I was sitting right behind the plate. He lost one and "hit the bull" threw it behind the batter at like 94+. He is very impressive and throws without effort.
    That is all fine and dandy, but if he is walking 15+% of the hitters he is facing, I don't care if his name is Cy Young, I don't think people would be clamoring for him to be called up. Its pretty simple right now, the guy can't come close to hitting the catchers target most of the time.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That is all fine and dandy, but if he is walking 15+% of the hitters he is facing, I don't care if his name is Cy Young, I don't think people would be clamoring for him to be called up. Its pretty simple right now, the guy can't come close to hitting the catchers target most of the time.
    I agree but I was just saying that the strike zone was very inconsistent with lots of chirping from both sides. He is not ready and honestly I think he needs the full year in AAA to work on command and to get acclimated.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  7. #21
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,397

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not if he was walking as many guys as he is.
    Ever looked at the minor league BB rates of other young power pitchers? Minor league baseball is a different animal all together. Not even mentioning the terrible umpires.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  8. #22
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,439

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not if he was walking as many guys as he is.
    Mike Leake says hi.

    That said, I think both guys would benefit from 2+ months at AAA. Leake's BB total is alarmingly high. I thought Maloney should have been the 5th starter.

    I think Chapman is acclimating to a 5 day schedule, like Leake is. I'm way unconcerned.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Mike Leake says hi.

    That said, I think both guys would benefit from 2+ months at AAA. Leake's BB total is alarmingly high. I thought Maloney should have been the 5th starter.

    I think Chapman is acclimating to a 5 day schedule, like Leake is. I'm way unconcerned.
    there is a difference between Mike Leakes walks and Chapmans wildness. Chapman can be dominate but he is throwing way too many pitches right now. Cutting down on some of the completely wild and outside of the zone balls will be a huge step for him.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    AC will be a late season call up when rosters are opened up....you cannot fool MLB'ers unless your offspead stuff is close the strike zone.....MLB hitters will sit on the red and if they dont get it, they just wont swing....its that simple....

    I remember a few years ago, the Cubbies had a RP. big tall lanky guy....threw upper 90's and everyone thought the world of him but he could not throw anything but Red.....batters started nailing the fastball and not swinging at anything else....If I remember right, 98% of his hits that were given up were given up on fastballs....I think it was a small sample size but point is batters will learn your fastball if your other pitches are not at least close. Chapmans off pitches are not even close to the zone.

  11. #25
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,429

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Mike Leake says hi.

    That said, I think both guys would benefit from 2+ months at AAA. Leake's BB total is alarmingly high. I thought Maloney should have been the 5th starter.

    I think Chapman is acclimating to a 5 day schedule, like Leake is. I'm way unconcerned.
    The main difference between the two is that Leake is missing his sports by 3 inches. Chapman is missing his by 12-18 inches.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,198

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    I saw Chapman get squeezed low quite a few times last night... Next inning, same pitch goes for a strike for the Indians starter...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,188

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Code:
    Date	OPP	W	L	ERA	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVG
    Apr 19	COL	1	0	0.00	8.0	2	0	0	0	0	9	2.75	.080
    Do you hear the screams to bring LeCure up?
    That's a fair point. I just think it goes to the raised expectations for Chapman and for all the minor league pitchers that he had maybe three balls hit hard all night, struck out 8 gave up no runs and everyone around me was pretty disappointed.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  14. #28
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Will Carroll - checking out Aroldis Chapman

    I finally got the chance to see Chapman live last night in Indianapolis, and he didn't disappoint. Forgive me if I sound like a scout (reminder: I am not a scout), but he's a smooth lefty with a live arm, showing two plus pitches and the makings of two more. The Reds' prospect with Triple-A Louisville throws a very good fastball that lives at 92-94 mph and can touch 100 when he gets angry. He has a slider with two-plane movement, enough to buckle the knees of a good hitter. That good hitter, Pedro Alvarez, saw three pitches in his second at-bat. First was a 93-mph fastball that tailed back in over the outside of the plate.
    full report:
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=10639
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    270

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Think about if he can get that control under... well under control I guess. How nasty will he be? Yesterday when he struck out Alvarez on three pitches, it was two well-placed curveballs and then the 100 MPH fastball.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

    Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    Think about if he can get that control under... well under control I guess. How nasty will he be? Yesterday when he struck out Alvarez on three pitches, it was two well-placed curveballs and then the 100 MPH fastball.
    Sky is the limit.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25