Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chapman start 4-22-10

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Chapman start 4-22-10

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    No, he's not ready for the majors. But it's pretty impressive when a guy goes 5 1/3 strikes out 8, gives up 0 earned runs and everyone goes meh.

If his name was not Chapman people would be begging the Reds to bring him up.
    Not if he was walking as many guys as he is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The strike zone was very inconsistent, I was sitting right behind the plate. He lost one and "hit the bull" threw it behind the batter at like 94+. He is very impressive and throws without effort.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    No, he's not ready for the majors. But it's pretty impressive when a guy goes 5 1/3 strikes out 8, gives up 0 earned runs and everyone goes meh.

If his name was not Chapman people would be begging the Reds to bring him up.
    Code:
    Date	OPP	W	L	ERA	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVG
    Apr 19	COL	1	0	0.00	8.0	2	0	0	0	0	9	2.75	.080
    Do you hear the screams to bring LeCure up?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    The strike zone was very inconsistent, I was sitting right behind the plate. He lost one and "hit the bull" threw it behind the batter at like 94+. He is very impressive and throws without effort.
    That is all fine and dandy, but if he is walking 15+% of the hitters he is facing, I don't care if his name is Cy Young, I don't think people would be clamoring for him to be called up. Its pretty simple right now, the guy can't come close to hitting the catchers target most of the time.

That is all fine and dandy, but if he is walking 15+% of the hitters he is facing, I don't care if his name is Cy Young, I don't think people would be clamoring for him to be called up. Its pretty simple right now, the guy can't come close to hitting the catchers target most of the time.
    I agree but I was just saying that the strike zone was very inconsistent with lots of chirping from both sides. He is not ready and honestly I think he needs the full year in AAA to work on command and to get acclimated.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Ever looked at the minor league BB rates of other young power pitchers? Minor league baseball is a different animal all together. Not even mentioning the terrible umpires.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Mike Leake says hi.

That said, I think both guys would benefit from 2+ months at AAA. Leake's BB total is alarmingly high. I thought Maloney should have been the 5th starter.

I think Chapman is acclimating to a 5 day schedule, like Leake is. I'm way unconcerned.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Mike Leake says hi.

That said, I think both guys would benefit from 2+ months at AAA. Leake's BB total is alarmingly high. I thought Maloney should have been the 5th starter.

I think Chapman is acclimating to a 5 day schedule, like Leake is. I'm way unconcerned.
    there is a difference between Mike Leakes walks and Chapmans wildness. Chapman can be dominate but he is throwing way too many pitches right now. Cutting down on some of the completely wild and outside of the zone balls will be a huge step for him.

AC will be a late season call up when rosters are opened up....you cannot fool MLB'ers unless your offspead stuff is close the strike zone.....MLB hitters will sit on the red and if they dont get it, they just wont swing....its that simple....

I remember a few years ago, the Cubbies had a RP. big tall lanky guy....threw upper 90's and everyone thought the world of him but he could not throw anything but Red.....batters started nailing the fastball and not swinging at anything else....If I remember right, 98% of his hits that were given up were given up on fastballs....I think it was a small sample size but point is batters will learn your fastball if your other pitches are not at least close. Chapmans off pitches are not even close to the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Mike Leake says hi.

The main difference between the two is that Leake is missing his sports by 3 inches. Chapman is missing his by 12-18 inches.

I saw Chapman get squeezed low quite a few times last night... Next inning, same pitch goes for a strike for the Indians starter...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Code:
    Date	OPP	W	L	ERA	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVG
    Apr 19	COL	1	0	0.00	8.0	2	0	0	0	0	9	2.75	.080
    Do you hear the screams to bring LeCure up?
    That's a fair point. I just think it goes to the raised expectations for Chapman and for all the minor league pitchers that he had maybe three balls hit hard all night, struck out 8 gave up no runs and everyone around me was pretty disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Will Carroll - checking out Aroldis Chapman

I finally got the chance to see Chapman live last night in Indianapolis, and he didn't disappoint. Forgive me if I sound like a scout (reminder: I am not a scout), but he's a smooth lefty with a live arm, showing two plus pitches and the makings of two more. The Reds' prospect with Triple-A Louisville throws a very good fastball that lives at 92-94 mph and can touch 100 when he gets angry. He has a slider with two-plane movement, enough to buckle the knees of a good hitter. That good hitter, Pedro Alvarez, saw three pitches in his second at-bat. First was a 93-mph fastball that tailed back in over the outside of the plate.
    full report:
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=10639

jredmo2

Think about if he can get that control under... well under control I guess. How nasty will he be? Yesterday when he struck out Alvarez on three pitches, it was two well-placed curveballs and then the 100 MPH fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    Think about if he can get that control under... well under control I guess. How nasty will he be? Yesterday when he struck out Alvarez on three pitches, it was two well-placed curveballs and then the 100 MPH fastball.
    Sky is the limit.

Turn Off Ads?