Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hernandez vs Hanigan

Hernandez vs Hanigan

I'm not going to suggest that Hanigan plays every day but I do think that he should receive the same majority of starts that Hernandez is getting now with Ramon falling to the backup/secondary catcher.We all know what a difficult time this team has getting on base and Hanigan is without any doubt capable of doing just that at a very respectable clip.It also seems like in the early going that Ryan has shaken the myth that he can't hit with runners on and he is superior on D IMO.

It probably wouldn't make a huge difference as Hernandez isn't terrible but why not give the most productive guy the bulk of the PT?What do you guys think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hernandez vs Hanigan

When it comes to making the most ideal lineup, I'd like to see Hernandez get the playing time against LHP with both Hanigan and Hernandez splitting time against RHP. However, I think most of the playing time is decided by the starting pitcher that day. So far, their playing time has been pretty equal, and I'm okay with that.

Hanigan is a good back-up catcher. Hernandez isn't. The reds had many opportunities to go another direction. Bringing Ramon back was a bad idea IMO.

That said, I'd rather Ramon start, so that at least the Reds have a good catcher the 35% of the time when Hanigan plays. If Hanigan played every day, his warts would show and we wouldn't have anything. The team needs a younger starter. Hanigan is pushing 30 and can play the crafty vet back-up role. No need for a 30 something starter.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think Hanigan should be starting a little bit more than he is with Ramon still getting the majority of starts.

I'd really like Hanigan playing just about everyday.It seems to me that he is one of the tougher outs on the team and plays much better defense then Hernandez.While I am somewhat pleased that he is playing much more often I think it's time he gets a shot at the everyday job.

I think right now you have to stay with Hanigan b/c he is on fire at the plate and his defense isn't to shabby either.He has really played great so far in the games he has played and you have to reward the guy for that and give him more playing time.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hanigan is a good back-up catcher. Hernandez isn't. The reds had many opportunities to go another direction. Bringing Ramon back was a bad idea IMO.

That said, I'd rather Ramon start, so that at least the Reds have a good catcher the 35% of the time when Hanigan plays. If Hanigan played every day, his warts would show and we wouldn't have anything. The team needs a younger starter. Hanigan is pushing 30 and can play the crafty vet back-up role. No need for a 30 something starter.
    Quite an assumption i'm assuming based on a partial season of games. I disagree Hanigan is one of if not the best defensive catcher in the NL (Yadier included) and besides lacking top notch power there isn't a flaw or wart in his game. He absolutely should be starting!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Hanigan deserves more playing time. I understand the reasons people give for not playing him every day but a 50/50 split for a while seems better than giving Hanigan only 20-25% of the starts. no question he is the better defensive catcher and right now he is outhitting Ramon as well.

i'll make the same arguement for SS. give Janish 1/2 the starts & see how he does.

Dusty should ride his hot bat

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Quite an assumption i'm assuming based on a partial season of games. I disagree Hanigan is one of if not the best defensive catcher in the NL (Yadier included) and besides lacking top notch power there isn't a flaw or wart in his game. He absolutely should be starting!
    How many times have we seen players perform really well in a limited role only to crash and burn when exposed to the day-in day-out grind? Chris Stynes? Jon Nunnally? Jerry Hairston? Ryan Freel? Lenny Harris?....

Hanigan was never really a full-time guy even in the minor leagues. 119 Games in A+ in 2004 is his high water mark. He's a complimentary tandem player and he's really good at it. IMO, he's not the answer every day. The Reds just need a better primary guy and bringing back Hernandez was one of the most atrocious ideas the team has had in a while IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Dusty should ride his hot bat
    That sounds incredibly innapropriate.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

How many times have we seen players perform really well in a limited role only to crash and burn when exposed to the day-in day-out grind? Chris Stynes? Jon Nunnally? Jerry Hairston? Ryan Freel? Lenny Harris?....

Hanigan was never really a full-time guy even in the minor leagues. 119 Games in A+ in 2004 is his high water mark. He's a complimentary tandem player and he's really good at it. IMO, he's not the answer every day. The Reds just need a better primary guy and bringing back Hernandez was one of the most atrocious ideas the team has had in a while IMO.
    Who were better options than Hernandez at a similar price?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Who were better options than Hernandez at a similar price?
    Kelly Shoppach for one. Heck, Corky Miller.

Stick with Hanigan and get him in the top of the lineup until he cools down.

Kelly Shoppach for one. Heck, Corky Miller.
    I won't address the Corky Miller thing (because I'm assuming that was a joke), but I'll compare Hernandez to Shoppach.

Hernandez is the better hitter against RHP, so if you're bringing in Schoppach instead, it probably means using Hanigan as the everyday catcher against right-handers.

Hernandez speaks Spanish, and Shoppach doesn't. When you have a team relying heavily on Johnny Cueto, Francisco Cordero, and at some point both Edinson Volquez and Aroldis Chapman, that could really come in handy.

Hernandez is the better hitter with runners on base, runners in scoring position, and pretty much any other clutch stat. He also strikes out much less.

Kelly Shoppach's contract for 2011 is guaranteed, so if his production were to rapidly decline (which wouldn't be shocking since he, like Hernandez, is already in his 30s), the team would be obligated to pay his contract.

Turn Off Ads?