Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought on Joe Morgan as Reds manager?

Thought on Joe Morgan as Reds manager?

This may or may not pan out to be true, but it seems quite interesting that the Reds are in a slump, everyone is baggin' on Dusty (who is in the last year of his contract), and then Joe Morgan is brought in as a "Special Advisor".

Do you guys think he could do the job? Good or bad? I for one am not sure, I know he knows the game, and very well at that, but I never thought of him as managerial material. Maybe he'd be great...I dunno.

Your thoughts?

Matt
    Last edited by mattfeet; 04-22-2010 at 11:01 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thought on Joe Morgan as Reds manager?

Yeah, here's a thought.

It's not gonna happen.

Cool, thanks for adding to the conversation.

A+ for a really insightful post.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Cool, thanks for adding to the conversation.

A+ for a really insightful post.
    What more is there to be said? The board is reading between the lines when there aren't any lines there in the first place. It's a PR move, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    What more is there to be said? The board is reading between the lines when there aren't any lines there in the first place. It's a PR move, that is all.
    As someone else said, they also brought in Jocketty as a special advisor. Im not saying this is going to happen, it's just like speculation...like every single other post on this forum...

-Matt

Yes, because we can take every announcement in sports at face value. And things never change. Was Joe Morgan brought in specifically to take Dusty's place should things continue on the way they are? No. Would I be surprised if that is what eventually happens? No.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Morgan has never managed in his career, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    You can say that for every manager before they got their first managerial job, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    managed or coached, to my knowledge
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Yes, because we can take every announcement in sports at face value. And things never change. Was Joe Morgan brought in specifically to take Dusty's place should things continue on the way they are? No. Would I be surprised if that is what eventually happens? No.
    it has nothing to do with the move at face value, it's the logistics of it. He would be one of the older managers in the game, as a rookie manager. He's not going to be working with be club everyday. He's working to get African Americans more involved with the game. He is not carrying a significant role in the operations of the club.

Unequivocally no. Joe Morgan is not going to manage the Cincinnati Reds.

I would love to see Joe as the manager, but I can't imagine at 66 you'd step into that role for the first time. Dusty will finish the year, no matter what. You don't bring Joe in as a special adviser to promote African-American participation in the sport and then fire the African-American manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I would love to see Joe as the manager, but I can't imagine at 66 you'd step into that role for the first time. Dusty will finish the year, no matter what. You don't bring Joe in as a special adviser to promote African-American participation in the sport and then fire the African-American manager.
    That is exactly what you do to avoid charges of racism.

Unless you replace him with another Afro-American manager, right? So as long as Joe is around the Reds are going to have to keep naming a black as there field manager. That is crazy.

Joe's not a good managerial candidate, anyway.

Ever listened to his broadcasts? He's said many times he'd take a guy who went 16-8 with a 4.90 ERA over a guy who went 7-11 with a 2.90 ERA... because the guy with the better record "finds ways to keep his team in the ballgame". Never mind that whole run support thing.

He's also shown distain for OBP before and he loves a speedy guy at the top of the lineup. This is also well documented.

If you think Dusty drives you nuts, you'd be begging for him back after a few months of Little Joe.

Turn Off Ads?