Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volquez to be suspended 50 games for PED use

Re: Volquez to be suspended 50 games for PED use

The penalty to the player is loss of salary.

The penalty to the team is supposedly loss of use of the player. But in this case, the Reds kinda win-win here, as they will still get the benefit of Volquez using the PEDs, because he wasn't due back in 50 games anyway, but will not have to pay him during the suspension. Assuming that Volquez keeps up his training during the 50 games he is "suspended".

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    The penalty to the player is loss of salary.

The penalty to the team is supposedly loss of use of the player. But in this case, the Reds kinda win-win here, as they will still get the benefit of Volquez using the PEDs, because he wasn't due back in 50 games anyway, but will not have to pay him during the suspension. Assuming that Volquez keeps up his training during the 50 games he is "suspended".
    You hit the nail on the head. All Volquez loses $$$, Reds aren't affected timeline-wise with his return.

Just another reason why i wish we would have been able to enjoy JOSH HAMILTON over the past 2-3 yrs. And currently.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Just another reason why i wish we would have been able to enjoy JOSH HAMILTON over the past 2-3 yrs. And currently.

You were saying?

Resident PED Expert

It has to be HGH. Most of your Steroids injection based or oral will not help someone recover from any type pf ligament damage. As a matter of fact most Steroid based injuries occur because the muscle will grow so rapidly and your strength increases so quickly that you end up injuring ligaments that are still at prejuiced strength. I tore my rotator cuff this way.. Where HGH helps burn fat, tighten skin, increase your muscle atrophy recovery, and strengthen ligaments.

Can't say I blame the kid. But it explains why he was recovering ahead of schedule. Now with him coming off he still will reap the benefits for about 2 to 4 more weeks before his body starts to return to normal levels. That being said, he should slow down his time table st and not push himself to be back until Sept when the Rosters expand to insure no more injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    It doesn't make sense, but I won't complain, lol.
    Last edited by bounty37h; 04-20-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: too harsh
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

There was reports that it wasnt a steroid or HGH

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    There was reports that it wasnt a steroid or HGH
    Whats left as far as PED's? I dont really care what it was, it was stupid of him.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Whats left as far as PED's? I dont really care what it was, it was stupid of him.
    there are a lot of drugs on PED list.

Are the rest more speed/rec types if not steroid or hgh-an honest question, I dont know.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

He had a perfectly reasonable explanation from what I've read, but all I've seen in posts on this board are people just railing into him like he's McGuire or something. The poor guy's boys can't swim and he wants to have a kid, and that's all there is to it basically.

Mark McGwire had a perfectly good reason too, he wasn't hitting home runs at record breaking rates, and he wanted to leave his mark on baseball history. Obviously thats what Volquez is going to say, thats what Manny said as well, but I didn't see people sticking up for him because they didn't like him. I still like Volquez, and it doesn't matter to me, i'm just saying its no better for him to do it than anyone else if it wasn't prescribed.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Are the rest more speed/rec types if not steroid or hgh-an honest question, I dont know.
    yea drugs that can be considered masking agents, certain types of other drugs that might be abused when not actually rehabbing. Some inhalers. All types of things are on it.

I heard on ESPN he was blaming the positive test on something he was taking for family planning but wasn't going to appeal.

Off the schneid

Has anybody actually read Volquez's statement? From the comments on here, I assume not. The statement says the drug (whatever it was) was prescribed meds he took while back in D.R. that were given for the purpose of assisting he and his wife to start a family. He even alluded to this being due to some common physical issue which interferes with such efforts.
    So can all you executioners please take down your nooses??? Seems like an extremely plausible and justifiable explanation to me. Guilty for taking a PED? Yes. Was it some nefarious plan to get ahead? Doesn't sound like it. Give the guy a break.

Turn Off Ads?