Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning down high paying job. Am I crazy?

Re: Turning down high paying job. Am I crazy?

If you like where you are, you and your wife are happy in the present situation and if you would be leaving behind a social network you've built over a long period of time, then moving is the thing that sounds crazy to me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not crazy. Smart.

Riverside isn't LA as you know it from the movies.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Moving might not be as crazy as it sounds. How safe is your current job now that the old boss is no longer around? If your job suddenly disappears, how easy will it be for you to find work, in your area of expertise, in Jacksonville?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

5. Likes:

remdog (08-07-2013)

I think you are making the right choice. I'm currently making $20,000 a year less than I was last year. I lost my job due to some bizarre events. I then started my own business doing something I love, and have never been happier. Sure, I intend to grow the business (and I already have another $15 K in contracts for next year) but if I don't I'll be pretty content anyway. Money isn't everything and at your stage of the game I would make the same decision.

as an ex-father-in-law said to a young Roy, "find your passion and money will follow".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Job here is ultra-safe. I will want to punch out sooner than they want me to leave.

Thanks for answers folks. I feel better about my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    SoCal... ain't worth it.
    SoCal? It would be a dilemma at $400K more...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Job here is ultra-safe. I will want to punch out sooner than they want me to leave.

Thanks for answers folks. I feel better about my decision.
    Any chance you can leverage the CA offer into a better deal at your current employer?

Keep in mind "better deal" can mean a lot of other things besides money.

Probably not. Long story. When you work for a State University, there's good and bad associated with it. (mostly good). We're dependent on state budget which is very tight. No raises for last 2 or 3 years. (bad), but I've been here long enough that they need to give me a years notice before they can lay me off (good).

The big boss (here) is practically begging me for an assurance that I will stay till Dec 2012. But he didn't care enough to back me on a recent power struggle.

Sometimes you just get the feeling it's time to move on. I've been in this job 11 years.

So, in 9 months I can withdraw IRA funds and pay off house, which gives me a lot more flexbility. I'm a retired military officer and wife will still be working and house will be paid off.

I have a relatively specialized "skill" in my job that I think I can supplement my income doing. (for example doing some remote work for that site in Cali). So I would be semi-retired.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Probably not. Long story. When you work for a State University, there's good and bad associated with it. (mostly good). We're dependent on state budget which is very tight. No raises for last 2 or 3 years. (bad), but I've been here long enough that they need to give me a years notice before they can lay me off (good).

The big boss (here) is practically begging me for an assurance that I will stay till Dec 2012. But he didn't care enough to back me on a recent power struggle.

Sometimes you just get the feeling it's time to move on. I've been in this job 11 years.

So, in 9 months I can withdraw IRA funds and pay off house, which gives me a lot more flexbility. I'm a retired military officer and wife will still be working and house will be paid off.

I have a relatively specialized "skill" in my job that I think I can supplement my income doing. (for example doing some remote work for that site in Cali). So I would be semi-retired.
    Jax, i'm in a similar situation work wise. 10 years at a community college, also dependent on state funding. TX hasn't really felt the economy in the crapper the way Florida has, so we've gotten our raises. My retirement is much further down the road, but I've considered retiring now, paying off the house with one of my retirement funds and then doing freelance work. And I'm still looking at starting my own restaurant.

But the truth is, if you like the work, like where you live and like the people around you, 40K isn't enough of an incentive to leave that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The Riverside area/Riverside County has been hit hard by the economic downturn. A lot of lower middle income families moved from LA/Orange Coutny to Riverside County for nice new tract housing springing up during the real estate boom to escape from the crime/gangs. Many took the risky loans and as the housing and job market collasped those people are now hurting. Also a lot of the crime/gangs these families were trying to escape from in LA/Orange County actually came with them.

But there are nice pockets to live in the county. You probably could get a nice deal on a house.
    Last edited by RBA; 04-22-2010 at 11:30 AM.

I like parts of LA, which is a weird thing for a San Franciscan to say. But I like the parts that everyone knows -- Westwood, Santa Monica, etc... The deserty sprawl of LA is my least favorite part of the state and maybe the US (it vies with Texas). You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

And the unemployment is BAD. If you're wife doesn't get a job and you're looking at a 7% higher cost of living -- the raise is wiped out. I don't know what you're wife does but I think you should envision her not getting a job for year and then make your decision.

Also, if you move to California, don't say "Cali". Nobody from California says that.

not crazy at all....Riverside is hardly the "SoCal" that many think of, it's way out in the Inland Empire. If you're happy in FL, then I would say that you made the right choice

not everything is about money, your decision just reflects that.

Haunted by walks

You'd have to change your name to SoCalRed, so there's that ...

Turn Off Ads?