Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Turning down high paying job. Am I crazy?

Re: Turning down high paying job. Am I crazy?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really feel I've made the right call to turn down the offer. I wouldn't want to go unless it was just crazy to turn it down, and it's just not.

Not with me thinking about retirement, and the house I own here, and the wife having to find new job.

And I love it here. And yes the no income tax is great, even if I pay it in other ways ($2750 property tax on 1800 SF house) and 6% general sales tax.

So, my plan is to pursue consulting with the Cal school and others around here as a way to supplement the income, and ease my way into retirement.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think you made the right decision Jax. Liking where you live is very important, no matter where that is, be it Ohio, Florida, Texas, California, Oregon or elsewhere.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I think its a sound decision. I think moving would have hurt your bottom line financially, as well as emotionally.

And at our ages, who wants to make new friends anyway?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The only benefit would be that its closer to Goodyear. There are many parts of CA which are basically straight out of suburban hell.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    $1200

But I have a small 1400 square foot house.
    My house is smaller than yours and I pay $8200, or something like that. I lost count.

Just wait until I double the size in the next year or two. That's when things will get fun.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    My house is smaller than yours and I pay $8200, or something like that. I lost count.

Just wait until I double the size in the next year or two. That's when things will get fun.
    8200 in taxes? i don't pay that much for taxes and insurance! About $2800 total.

Of course my house is a piece of crap....

Edabbs44...... I just checked Google maps to confirm...... but it appears there are a ton of roads that lead out of New Jersey.......

Sorry, but I think you're crazy.

You should ask yourself whether you're letting the pain in the butt of uprooting overshadow the long-term benefits or the higher salary.

Run the numbers. You say you're, what, 58? Are you going to retire at 65? That means you'd make almost $300,000 more if you make the move. Suppose you save all that, that's going to improve the lifestyle you live during your retirement significantly.

How many golf club memberships does that buy? How many travels around the world? How many other fantastic experiences could you be missing out on? And why? So you don't have to learn some new streets?

I don't know. I'm only 30, so maybe the thought of change doesn't bother me as much. But looking at the cost/benefit, I don't know how you could stay.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post

You should ask yourself whether you're letting the pain in the butt of uprooting overshadow the long-term benefits or the higher salary.

Run the numbers. You say you're, what, 58? Are you going to retire at 65? That means you'd make almost $300,000 more if you make the move. Suppose you save all that, that's going to improve the lifestyle you live during your retirement significantly.

How many golf club memberships does that buy? How many travels around the world? How many other fantastic experiences could you be missing out on? And why? So you don't have to learn some new streets?

I don't know. I'm only 30, so maybe the thought of change doesn't bother me as much. But looking at the cost/benefit, I don't know how you could stay.
    You're not factoring in taxes (assuming Jaz was talking about a $40,000 gross raise, not net), the fact that his wife would have to leave her job, the cost of moving, the higher cost of real estate or the fact that Riverside, California is not very nice (and I like California a lot). I highly doubt the upside is anywhere near $300,000.

Plus by the time you are 58 my guess is that if you really like it where you live you probably wouldn't want to leave either.

"Crazy" to me is getting offered an extra $100,000 a year to live in the San Francisco Bay Area with a full allowance for housing and not wanting to go.

And even then some things are just more important than money.

This? not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post

taxes, cost of living, relocation at that age, uprooting from friends and family, and in the end, factoring all that in, it might be a wash financially at best.

He made the right decision.

Actually, housing is probably comparable, but taxes, including california's state income tax?

pass.
    Last edited by TRF; 04-28-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Edabbs44...... I just checked Google maps to confirm...... but it appears there are a ton of roads that lead out of New Jersey.......
    Yeah, but in my industry the NE is where you have to be (for the most part). My family and wife's family are all here. It wouldn't be easy to uproot and move.

I was just messin' with ya ......

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Yeah, but in my industry the NE is where you have to be (for the most part). My family and wife's family are all here. It wouldn't be easy to uproot and move.
    Plus depending on where you live NJ can be REALLY nice.

I graduated high school in Summit, NJ.

JAX,

I'll take the job. Where do you want my resume sent.

Turn Off Ads?