Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Questions to Ponder

Questions to Ponder

I have three questions, they may be silly, but I throw them out for discussion.

1. Is their a GABP effect for the pitchers?

Does anyone believe, or is their any evidence, that the Reds pitchers habitual nibbling of outside pitches is an effect of the home ballpark? In the first inning of the 4/20 game Homer Bailey refused to throw strikes to many of the Dodger's batters, instead he nibbled around the plate--resulting in walks and ultimately 3 runs.

2. Is their an Arizona effect for the pitchers?

Does anyone believe that the first spring training in Arizona, where I have read that breaking balls don't break as much, has had an effect on the Reds pitchers?

3. Except for Joey Votto, no Reds hitter that has come up through the minor leagues appear to be able to hit a breaking ball consistently. Is this a problem with the minor league system or is it a problem with the hitters themselves.
    Where we gonna go?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Questions to Ponder

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I have three questions, they may be silly, but I throw them out for discussion.

1. Is their a GABP effect for the pitchers?

Does anyone believe, or is their any evidence, that the Reds pitchers habitual nibbling of outside pitches is an effect of the home ballpark? In the first inning of the 4/20 game Homer Bailey refused to throw strikes to many of the Dodger's batters, instead he nibbled around the plate--resulting in walks and ultimately 3 runs.

2. Is their an Arizona effect for the pitchers?

Does anyone believe that the first spring training in Arizona, where I have read that breaking balls don't break as much, has had an effect on the Reds pitchers?

3. Except for Joey Votto, no Reds hitter that has come up through the minor leagues appear to be able to hit a breaking ball consistently. Is this a problem with the minor league system or is it a problem with the hitters themselves.
    To #1 Not sure, but they just seem to be tossing meatballs up there. Could it have something to do with #2 perhaps I wondered this myself. Don't know if they got in enough good work out there.

To #3 Good question but unlike many of our prospect he A.) is a tremendous worker and B.) spent more time in the minors than he maybe should have but both I think played a part in him developing his game against breaking stuff. Votto, Hanigan and Janish all have good plate approaches and handle breaking stuff ok relative to their talent. Only Dickerson spent a goodly amount of time in the minors and hasn't handled breaking pitches great, at least inside breaking pitches.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?