Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Overhyped?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Overhyped?

Either the Reds aren't quite ready for primetime and they got overhyped.............or they are ready for primetime, with players believing the hype and not doing enough to live up to it.

The bullpen failures have me surprised but then again, Herrera, Rhodes and Cordero have been pretty solid, and guys like Ondrusek and Lincoln have been lit up.

Harang is the same as last year, maybe worse. Bailey didn't pick up where he left off, which has surprised me. Cueto has the same pitch count struggles. Arroyo is Arroyo, which is a good thing. Leake has been a surprise and so have all the walks he's issued.

Other than Votto and Rolen, the rest of the offense is lame to date.

Stubbs may need to be sent down. Dickerson may need to be installed as the everyday CFer. Not sure who you bring up since the Bats OFers are all struggling right now. Phillips needs to be moved in the lineup. But Dusty refuses to do that. Weird.

June 1st is Dusty's firing date. Maybe sooner. Is it Joe Morgan or will they bring up Rick Sweet?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Overhyped?

^Does make you wonder if Morgan coming back as an "advisor" is to get his feet wet back in the org and be ready to make a move soon?
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    ^Does make you wonder if Morgan coming back as an "advisor" is to get his feet wet back in the org and be ready to make a move soon?
    That's immediately what I thought as well...

-Matt

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Sorta like when they brought Jocketty in as an advisor. How's that looking, Mr. Krivsky?

There is a 0 percent chance that Joe Morgan becomes manager. Actually, there's probably a less than 0 percent chance. Either way, it's not happening.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I would love to see Joe as the manager, but I can't imagine at 66 you'd step into that role for the first time. Dusty will finish the year, no matter what. You don't bring Joe in as a special adviser to promote African-American participation in the sport and then fire the African-American manager.

But Walt and all definitely need to take a good hard look at what they thought they saw in Arizona and realize reality is much different. I don't know if it was the transition to Arizona or what. But it's clear these guys need a serious wake-up call.

I've watched most of the games, and it's like watching a team fail MLB 101. The don't hit the ball on the ground to move runners over, they don't work the count, they don't take advantage of a pitcher on the ropes. It's mind bogglingly frustrating. And the pitching is a whole other story. Pretty much as bad as it gets. I literally record each game so I don't have to watch the unbearable parts. And three weeks into the season, I wish I hadn't bought the Comcast package.

I've always liked Dusty, and I defend him usually. But maybe the whole idea of a "Players Manager" is the problem. This is a job. You aren't supposed to be in love with your boss. You are supposed to hate him, but respect him. And once you've achieved success, you can be his buddy.

All he does is make excuses for these guys; they are too young, they're learning, they got some bad calls. BUll****! Baseball treats 25 year old like they are in HS. Kick some but, I say.

To paraphrase Bull Durham, "These guys are a bunch of Lollygaggers!!!"

Send Jay Bruce back down to ride the bus around instead of staying at 4-Star Hotels. Same for Drew Stubbs. They look like fools at the plate. Put Harang in the bullpen to pitch mop up duty (if they ever get the chance) for a month, and let a guy like Maloney have a real chance. Cueto and Bailey look more like Brett Tomko, than future Aces. And if I see Brandon swing for the fences one more time, I'm going to kick my TV in two.

What's the point of bringing in Rolen, if no one learns from him. He needs to bat 4th every day he's in the lineup. He and Joey are the only two guys on the team with any "approach" to hitting. Gomes - you get what you paid for with him. He's Kingman lite. Dickerson will get a chance, but he looks like he's chopping wood out there rather than swinging a bat.

These guys are just bad. We keep looking to the future, when we should be looking at the past. Picking Dusty over Pete McKannin was the one mistake that got us here. Pete was one guy who knew how to teach, reach and earn respect as a manager. Why the hell doesn't that guy get a chance?
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 04-22-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Turn Off Ads?