Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce last 9 games

Jay Bruce last 9 games

Batting average: .273
    OBP: .342
    Slugging: .545

Looks like what most of us thought he should have been hitting once some of the bad luck went away. Good to see.
    Last edited by GIDP; 04-22-2010 at 08:03 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce last 9 games

I saw this same line earlier in the day somewhere else, and couldn't help but think of it tonight in the car when Bruce made an out and Marty proclaimed "And things just aren't getting ANY better for Jay Bruce."

Really Marty?

If the team has any hope, he has to hit. It's a good sign to see the tide appears to be turning in his favor.
    Steve
    Project-43
    http://www.project-43.com

I think a hot streak is in order for the kid. Once he gives his confidence back, the sky's the limit. I think he'll be just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Batting average: .273
    OBP: .342
    Slugging: .545

Looks like what most of us thought he should have been hitting once some of the bad luck went away. Good to see.
    How can one be unlucky when he's batting below .240 with over 800+ at bats?

Barry Bonds only hit .223 in his first 500 atbats. He only hit .261 the year after that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Barry Bonds only hit .223 in his first 500 atbats. He only hit .261 the year after that.
    That's a fine comparison. But I hardly doubt Pirates fans were saying he hit .223 because he was "unlucky."

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

3 for 4 today.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcConnell View Post
    That's a fine comparison. But I hardly doubt Pirates fans were saying he hit .223 because he was "unlucky."
    Yea they also didnt have the stats we have now either.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcConnell View Post
    Maybe not but I bet there were plenty of inpatient, overzealous Pirate fans calling for him to be benched, sent down, etc. just like there are Reds fans about Bruce. Plus, as another poster mentioned, BABIP wasn't exactly a huge stat in Bonds' rookie year.

Meanwhile, Bruce had a great day at the plate today. Maybe the people saying he was unlucky were onto something after all.

Bruce since the 1st 6 games

.283/.358/.587
    .945 OPS

Bruce since the 1st 6 games

.283/.358/.587
    .945 OPS
    I haven't seen many games this year outside of the opening series and the Florida one, but I wonder if he has changed his approach a little since the last time I watched him hit. Seemed like the Bruce I was watching this year was having some issues with selectivity and was swinging at a lot of bad pitches. It sounds like he is driving the ball now, so maybe he picked up on something and has found his pitches to hit now.

Sounds like maybe Votto has had a little bit of this problem the past game or two as well.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I haven't seen many games this year outside of the opening series and the Florida one, but I wonder if he has changed his approach a little since the last time I watched him hit. Seemed like the Bruce I was watching this year was having some issues with selectivity and was swinging at a lot of bad pitches. It sounds like he is driving the ball now, so maybe he picked up on something and has found his pitches to hit now.

Sounds like maybe Votto has had a little bit of this problem the past game or two as well.
    Or its as simple as the line drives werent finding the leather.

Or its as simple as the line drives werent finding the leather.
    Maybe so. I know his line drive rate wasn't really jiving with his BABIP and the number of hits he had. All the same, it was a problem he was having, and he was putting himself in a hole swinging at low breaking pitches and other "pitcher's pitches" that he should have laid off on.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

In his last 13 games the Jay Bruce line now reads: .261/.340/.522/.862.

Turn Off Ads?