Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zach Stewart's progress

After his first 2 starts in AA in the Blue Jays' system (one good, one disastrous):

W L ERA IP H R ER BB K GB/FB BA against
    1 1 7.71 9.1 13 8 8 5 7 0.75 .325

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Josh Roenicke has been lights out over four appearances in AAA. EE has been mediocre in Toronto so far.

EE is on the DL, I don't expect him to hit before July honestly. Its a wrist thing. For Stewart and Roenicke, its good to see them having success, even if its a mixed bag for stewart so far. I bet he pitches in TOR at some point this year.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I'd like to see Roenicke and Stewart pitch well at the show before I annoint them as anything. Roenicke pitched great at Louisville too. As did Stewart and AA.

One thing that has shown to be true...Rolen is producing for the Reds at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'd like to see Roenicke and Stewart pitch well at the show before I annoint them as anything.
    You mean like Cy Young?

Roenicke pitched great at Louisville too. As did Stewart and AA.

One thing that has shown to be true...Rolen is producing for the Reds at a high level.
    Yep. Good trade. Now let's make more like them.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yep. Good trade. Now let's make more like them.
    It was still a bad trade, though acquiring Rolen was a good idea. I think that is something people seem to misrepresent the side who didn't like the trade with. Scott Rolen was forcing his way to a team in the Midwest and the Blue Jays were making it happen. So that leaves the Cards (already been there, left on bad terms, wasn't going back), Cubs (Aramis Ramirez, they didn't need Rolen), White Sox (they were playing Beckham there, who wasn't going anywhere) and the Reds. So really, we were the only team making bids and gave up at the time our best starting pitching prospect. Bad trade for a good player. Glad to have Rolen as a Red. Still think we gave up too much.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It was still a bad trade, though acquiring Rolen was a good idea. I think that is something people seem to misrepresent the side who didn't like the trade with. Scott Rolen was forcing his way to a team in the Midwest and the Blue Jays were making it happen. So that leaves the Cards (already been there, left on bad terms, wasn't going back), Cubs (Aramis Ramirez, they didn't need Rolen), White Sox (they were playing Beckham there, who wasn't going anywhere) and the Reds. So really, we were the only team making bids and gave up at the time our best starting pitching prospect. Bad trade for a good player. Glad to have Rolen as a Red. Still think we gave up too much.
    That's exactly how I feel. I'm thrilled to have Scott Rolen on the Reds but I just wish they could've found a way to keep Zach Stewart.

Correct.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

any trades involving prospects can't be fully judged for years after the fact. i could buy the 'we gave up too much' arguement if Stewart develops into a MOR starter or setup man (or better).

lets say that he is just a BOR starter & Roenicke is a AAAA man. add our getting rid of EE. if Rolen keeps up his good play then the trade was good for the Reds.

or maybe Rolen's back prevents him from playing more than 80 games this year. in that case it was a bad trade for the Reds.

or maybe Rolen plays well for the Reds but Stewart becomes a #2 starter for the Jays. then its a bad trade for us.

you can say 'i think it was a bad trade for the Reds' now but you really can't say 'it was a bad trade for the Reds' now. only time will tell.

I actually can't say I disagree with much of this. I do think that people on this board do sometimes get caught up in hoarding prospects. While it would be nice to still have Stewart, you have to give something to get something. We along with the rest of the talking heads can debate all day as to whether or not we could have gotten Rolen for less, but the fact of the matter is that none of us has any idea. Walt saw an opportunity and pounced. The price may have been high, but in the end the product was worth it. Unlike mth's sweet new car analogy, there aren't many Scott Rolen's to go around that are also available. Sometimes you have to pay up for a scarce resource.

I can also admit when I'm wrong. I did not like the trade at the time, and said so on this very board. I am more than comfortable with it now, and actually would like to see another move like it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I actually can't say I disagree with much of this. I do think that people on this board do sometimes get caught up in hoarding prospects. While it would be nice to still have Stewart, you have to give something to get something. We along with the rest of the talking heads can debate all day as to whether or not we could have gotten Rolen for less, but the fact of the matter is that none of us has any idea. Walt saw an opportunity and pounced. The price may have been high, but in the end the product was worth it. Unlike mth's sweet new car analogy, there aren't many Scott Rolen's to go around that are also available. Sometimes you have to pay up for a scarce resource.

I can also admit when I'm wrong. I did not like the trade at the time, and said so on this very board. I am more than comfortable with it now, and actually would like to see another move like it.
    I liked the trade at the time and I like it even more now. When Rolen is in the lineup he has made a significant difference for the Reds. We are talking about as big of a difference as anyone on the diamond not named Joey Votto makes.

None of us know how if the price was in fact too high. Many have proclaimed it too high without seeing an inning that Stewart has pitched. I do think that anytime you have the opportunity to improve your major league club without distroying your minor league system you have to make that move. And I am in agreement that the Reds need to make anothe big move, soon, before the season turns south in a hurry.

1) The White Sox have already moved Beckham off of third and signed Teahen to replace him, so I think that they would have gladly tried to get Rolen.

2) The Cardinals might have been willing to take Rolen back, considering that they still haven't found a replacement for him. Yeah, it would have been awkward, but good teams don't let personal crap get in the way of winning, and that is all that was between Rolen and LaRussa. It wasn't like Rolen was a bad influence, he just wanted more playing time. LaRussa's ego probably prevented it, but I don't think we can assume that they didn't make an offer.

3) I flunked Geometry, but I think Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, Minnesota and Milwaukee are all still in the Midwest. And pretty much all of them were/are looking for a 3B, and Rolen is an upgrade over what they each currently have.

Truth is, we don't know who was offering what for Rolen at the trading deadline.

I did back then, and still agree with you that Stewart was too high of a price, hated that he was included, and still do. But it might have been the only way to get Rolen, and right now, in hindsight, I am glad that the Reds overpaid.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    3) I flunked Geometry, but I think Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, Minnesota and Milwaukee are all still in the Midwest. And pretty much all of them were/are looking for a 3B, and Rolen is an upgrade over what they each currently have.
    Geography

They improved their ballclub by getting Rolen. By definition, that's a good trade.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    They improved their ballclub by getting Rolen. By definition, that's a good trade.
    Disagree, because they likely could have improved the ballclub with the exact same player for a lesser price.

Turn Off Ads?