Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There is no difference.

Toronto: "Well Scott. We really couldn't find a scenario that worked. How would you like to play the final year of your contract with a contender? You might get a ring. But even if no ring, there's a great chance you'll be in a pennant race and be able to increase your value when hitting the market if you play the way we think you can".

Scott: "OK!"

Seriously this notion that it was Cincy all the way and no other way is lets just say as ways go, way overplayed.
    I really think this is a good point. Who is to say that Rolen would not have been willing to go to a contender? And then just tried free agency thereafter?

One thing is for sure, as I said in an earlier post...Rolen is a huge upgrade at 3B. We can't properly evaluate this trade until Stewart makes it to the Show and has been there for a while.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If they didnt trade for Rolen the sun might not have came up today.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    If they didnt trade for Rolen the sun might not have came up today.
    Does that then mean that the sun quit rising for those that think Stewart shouldn't have been traded?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Does that then mean that the sun quit rising for those that think Stewart shouldn't have been traded?
    Its cloudy here, but its way too bright for the sun to not be behind the clouds. So no.

No it means all these "Chapman wouldnt have been signed" types of comments are just as baseless as me saying the sun wouldnt have came up.

No it means all these "Chapman wouldnt have been signed" types of comments are just as baseless as me saying the sun wouldnt have came up.
    Supposition doesn't make for the strongest argument?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If they didnt trade for rolen they might have traded for Grady Sizemore.

If they didnt trade for rolen they might have traded for Grady Sizemore.
    Again, statements like that really aren't helping strengthen the argument that's largely been based upon supposition. I'd think it would be the last point someone would want to bring up (the weakness of supposition as a premise) if a major premise of their argument that the Reds overpaid was Rolen was mostly only going to come to Cincy.

But I'm game.... the sun, sizemore, what other example could further pound another nail?

High five!

Supposition doesn't make for the strongest argument?
    Don't you love re-runs?

Again, statements like that really aren't helping strengthen the argument that's largely been based upon supposition. I'd think it would be the last point someone would want to bring up (the weakness of supposition as a premise) if a major premise of their argument that the Reds overpaid was Rolen was mostly only going to come to Cincy.

But I'm game.... the sun, sizemore, what other example could further pound another nail?
    Im mimicking pretty much every one of these post so if you have problem with mine maybe you should target others for the answers.

Im mimicking pretty much every one of these post so if you have problem with mine maybe you should target others for the answers.
    Seriously? That's what discussion about this issue is going to become?

This line of banter should be taken private because threads don't need to be cluttered with noise.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-25-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Seriously? That's what discussion about this issue is going to become?

This line of banter should be taken private in the ORG because threads don't need to be cluttered with noise.
    Oh I agree I wish people would stop it also.

Oh I agree I wish people would stop it also.

Seriously. Private please.

Walt Jocketty said the Blue Jays refused to trade Scott Rolen unless the deal involved Zach Stewart. He said he did what he could to not trade Stewart, but as the deadline neared, the Blue Jays refused to budge, so the Reds were forced to give him up to get the guy they wanted. There was also a verbal agreement that an extension with Rolen would be worked out if he were obtained by the Reds, so it's not like the Reds traded one of their top prospects for a rental.

Has it dawned on anyone that Stewart might be very overrated as a prospect?

1. Walt Jocketty is known for selling high on prospects and leaving it up to other organizations to find out that said prospects aren't worthy of the hype.
    2. Stewart has a WHIP of 1.324. It's solid, but it's nowhere near elite. In fact, it's Sam LeCure territory.
    3. There's a decent chance he will prove to be injury prone.
    4. I realize that he's starting for Toronto's AA team, but he's probably going to end up a reliever anyway. He has a mid-90s fastball and a devastating slider, but what else does he have that's worth mentioning?
    5. The higher he climbs up in the minors, the more he walks people. For example, he has walked 19 batters in his last 35 innings.

I don't miss EE, I don't miss Roenicke, and I'd rather have Rolen over Stewart. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He has a mid 90's fastball and a devastating slider..... How much else do you need? He also has an average change up. Stuff wise, thats a #3 starting pitcher at worst, if he can throw the innings to match it. That really is the only thing that should be in question. No clue where the likely injury stuff comes from at all.

Doesn't matter though. He is gone. Best of luck to him.

Turn Off Ads?