Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He'd be a huge upgrade in Seattle as a DH.

I never really objected to dealing EdE. Time for him to move from 3B was an easy call. I'll just never believe that the Reds couldn't have waited it out and gotten Rolen for less.

There was a blurb the other day about Rolen driving to IN to attend one of his kid's events and then flying on his own to join the team in Atlanta. St. Louis is the only other city where that's possible (not Chicago BTW). I really doubt he'd have gone anywhere else.
    Right-handed pull hitters get brutalized in Safeco.

Concerning Cincy and Jasper, it probably made Walt really confident that they could extend him if they could trade for him.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hesitate to bump this tired thread back to the top, but I just have to say as one of the primary critics of this deal that Rolen may be proving me wrong. My primary objection to dealing Stewart was using him to save the Reds cash when these young higher thought of pitchers should be used as key ingredients to bring back a TOR starter or middle of the line-up thump. In my estimation at the time, this trade did not accomplish those objectives.

I have to say that Rolen has shown a lot more power than I expected. Today he hit HR number 9 and has an OPS over .900. Since I only expected single digit HR and a .775 OPS for the season, perhaps I underestimated. Had Rolen performed as expected, I'd feel differently. If he continues what he's doing, its a landslide win for the Reds.
    Make it 10 HRs on the season. Dude is KILLING it. Think of where the Reds would be without Rolen?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Thats the funny thing about not being able to crack the lineup. Have an uncharacteristic 7 PAs and your SLG jumps 300 points.
    Not being able to crack the lineup? He was hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    True. He was instantly put in the lineup the minute he was available, and he's done nothing but respond and give the team a lift (OPS of 1.789 as he homered again today).

No matter how well EE does, though, his defense had to be replaced. It's bad enough that the GABP was designed for Junior with a short field to Right, but our pitchers have to know they can let players hit the ball on the ground to any position. If our pitchers have to avoid both flyballs and groundballs that only leaves strikeouts. Last I looked, Nolan Ryan doesn't pitch for the REDS, and we certainly don't have 11 Nolan Ryans on the staff.

Got to have good defense.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-23-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What difference does the DL make? Those claiming Rolen wouldn't crack the Reds lineup enough weren't giving him a playing time discount for the DL.

The point kinda stands-when two games in a hitter's paradise can wildly swing his slash stats (in this case mostly SLG), it's not telling to evoke a player's OPS.

At least wait a few series after the Jays leave Arizona before channeling scoreboard.

If his OPS is still .998 on say June 11th, that might be interesting.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It's been a great surprise that Rolen has shown so much power so far this season. I hope he keeps it up. That's the kind of output that can get us to the playoffs.

EE's a good hitter and has always been a good hitter for such a young player. He belongs in the American League, though.

Another good outing in AA from Stewart, again on 4 days rest:

6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K 1 HBP, 2 HR, lots of GB

ERA now at 5.63 after 8 starts, but trending in the right direction.

What difference does the DL make? Those claiming Rolen wouldn't crack the Reds lineup enough weren't giving him a playing time discount for the DL.

The point kinda stands-when two games in a hitter's paradise can wildly swing his slash stats (in this case mostly SLG), it's not telling to evoke a player's OPS.

At least wait a few series after the Jays leave Arizona before channeling scoreboard.

If his OPS is still .998 on say June 11th, that might be interesting.
    apples and oranges. Rolen has a history of chronic back trouble and is 35. EE is 27, entering his production prime years and had a fluke hand injury, that must have healed up pretty nice as he has 7 HR's in 51 AB's. Sure, he's going to level off, and you can't discount the production either player has provided. But comparing them going forward, offensively, EE has much more upside. defensively? he should be in LF.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    apples and oranges. Rolen has a history of chronic back trouble and is 35. EE is 27, entering his production prime years and had a fluke hand injury
    EE has had shoulder issues this season.

EE has had shoulder issues this season.
    He's not 35. It hasn't been a chronic thing, and everyone gets hurt once in a while. I'd trust his health going forward more than Rolen's
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He's not 35. It hasn't been a chronic thing, and everyone gets hurt once in a while. I'd trust his health going forward more than Rolen's
    Really none of this addresses the original point that 10 PAs does not scoreboard make.

I got the impression that it did.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I got the impression that it did.
    How has 10 PAs in Arizona been made telling by discussing EE's wrist and shoulder?

How has 10 PAs in Arizona been made telling by discussing EE's wrist and shoulder?
    The sample sizes sure didnt matter when it was Stewart struggling or Rolen doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The sample sizes sure didnt matter when it was Stewart struggling or Rolen doing well.
    I'm struggling to understand your position given your last few posts. Are you arguing that sample size really isn't important or are you arguing that it doesn't matter if stats are used correctly during a discussion?

Turn Off Ads?