Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    IIRC it was said that if he was a Red he'd be the best pitcher in the starting rotation, hyperbole is hard to forget when it's thrown around so carelessly.
    It was said that he'd be the best SP prospect in the org. He probably was the day he left, so that really wasn't a reach.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just ran through a bunch of pages from the Rolen trade thread. Many lessons to be learned from that one...wow. A fun read if anyone wants to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Fwiw, Rolen and Jocketty had the agreement that a contract extension would be worked out before the trade was made. Not only did an extension happen, it was for well below market value.
    I doubt this is true, because well, its against baseball's rules. If the extension were agreed upon, it would have been done as part of the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I doubt this is true, because well, its against baseball's rules. If the extension were agreed upon, it would have been done as part of the trade.
    Against the rules and done all the time. Baseball is full of wink and a handshake under the table deals. Considering how close those two are, it's more than likely something was discussed, even if there were no rumors of this alleged deal. Remember this deal was done at the deadline with no time to spare. Probably agreed to agree later, and then took their time with the details.

Walt: Scotty, we want to trade for you, but want you for more than 1 and half years.

Rolen: Don't worry. (wink-wink)

Walt: But we can't afford you at your current rate past next year.

Rolen: Again, don't worry. (wink-wink)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Ok I was dragged back in, if you are of the stance that you think they broke the rules prior to that deal and communicated that he would be extended, then you have to assume that Rolen told him that he was forcing a trade and wanted to be in the midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Talking about the extension and Frazier/Francisco, I mean 2011 and beyond.

Right now, I'd imagine EE would be playing third. He's hurt, so we can't say what he'd be doing to this point, but if you take his career .790 OPS vs. Rolen current .840 it's not that big of a difference. And defensively, Encarnacion's career UZR/150 is actually better (-13.2) than Rolen's current (-15.4).

And then there's Roenicke, who's pitched well enough, and if he were with the Reds, we probably never would never have seen Ondrusek or Fisher, and how much have those guys hurt us?

So even if you ignore Stewart (which is unfair, I think) and just focus on the other two, how much has Rolen really added? Not much, I'd say.

I can't believe anybody at this point would even question what a huge upgrade Rolen has been over EE.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I can't believe anybody at this point would even question what a huge upgrade Rolen has been over EE.
    EE has barely played due to injuries, has 210 pa's and this line .237/.300/.435 , 10 e's in 51 games. Rolen meanwhile has this line as a Red .270/.353/.447 and 4 e's in 68 games started.

Then of course you'd have to include all the stuff he adds as a vet compared to the stuff EE added as a stiff.

But hey that's not much...

A lot of us thought Edwin should have been tried in left, or even 2nd but that wouldnt happen since I dont think he could be demoted. His bat has fallen off though.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    A lot of us thought Edwin should have been tried in left. His bat has fallen off though.
    And a lot of us thought he ought to have been tried for embezzlement.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Don't forget, EE raised his hands in joy when he got traded. The dude was done in Cincinnati, perhaps truly did have a bad attitude.

It seems like Rolen is a bit more slump proof, doesn't it?

In general I don't think it's a good idea to move guys who aren't good "baseball players" around the diamond. EE was a good athlete but not a very good baseball player.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    And a lot of us thought he ought to have been tried for embezzlement.

Roll your eyes all you want. His head and heart were just not in the game, despite his obvious talents.

A lot of us thought Edwin should have been tried in left, or even 2nd but that wouldnt happen since I dont think he could be demoted. His bat has fallen off though.
    Right because his footwork at 2nd would have been stellar.

He'd probably remind us a lot of Edwin at 3B, except just a little further back on the field.

Turn Off Ads?