Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Honestly, to be fair you have to look at injury and performance. From the performance history standpoint the edge goes to Rolen to continue posting his current numbers for the rest of the year. But he has an injury history that is chronic. His back isn't magically better at age 35 just because he's a Red.

In EE's favor is youth and an interesting upward trend of his numbers. No one thinks his glove is ever going to be adequate, but the minute he was declared healthy, he was put back in the starting lineup and at 3B.

EE may be on a ridiculous hot streak right now, but he's got 3 fewer HR's than Rolen in 80 fewer AB's. He's 7 for his last 19, with 6 of those being HR's. That's an amazing week for any player. For a lot of us, EE's bat was never the problem.

So, if Stewarts early struggles were just that, struggles, (a temporary thing) and EE is healthy, then I'd say Toronto got exactly what they wanted out of the trade.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'm struggling to understand your position given your last few posts. Are you arguing that sample size really isn't important or are you arguing that it doesn't matter if stats are used correctly during a discussion?
    methinks he's just arguing

I'm struggling to understand your position given your last few posts. Are you arguing that sample size really isn't important or are you arguing that it doesn't matter if stats are used correctly during a discussion?
    Im saying everyone was all about the sample size when it fit their argument. Now it doesn't matter. My argument is that some people want to dictate what sample size we are allowed to use.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Im saying everyone was all about the sample size when it fit their argument. Now it doesn't matter. My argument is that some people want to dictate what sample size we are allowed to use.
    That's really not a fair (i.e. accurate) characterization of the position held by the "pro-trade" crowd.

BTW, you won't find a post by me that fits the above narrative that the appropriate sample size arbitrarily depends upon whether the results over that period fits the point one wants to make. I am guilty of arguing that 10 PAs isn't sufficient though...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

That's really not a fair (i.e. accurate) characterization of the position held by the "pro-trade" crowd.

BTW, you won't find a post by me that fits the above narrative that the appropriate sample size arbitrarily depends upon whether the results over that period fits the point one wants to make. I am guilty of arguing that 10 PAs isn't sufficient though...
    No dont get me wrong im just saying a lot of people were loving to cite Stewarts struggle then ignore his 2009 season or dismissed it as much as they could, then cite Rolens surprising power, but then ignore Edwins bat.

Its just very inconsistent, and thats what I meant by my original post of "I got the impression that it did."

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    No dont get me wrong im just saying a lot of people were loving to cite Stewarts struggle then ignore his 2009 season or dismissed it as much as they could, then cite Rolens surprising power, but then ignore Edwins bat.
    So true.

So true.

I just noticed something odd, Edwin has been dropped to 9th in the batting order tonight after being on fire his last 3 games. I know that is unrelated but thought it was worth a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    I just noticed something odd, Edwin has been dropped to 9th in the batting order tonight after being on fire his last 3 games. I know that is unrelated but thought it was worth a mention.
    The MLB network rated Toronto as one of the Top-8 teams in Baseball right now. The REDS didn't make the Top-9.

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The MLB network rated Toronto as one of the Top-8 teams in Baseball right now. The REDS didn't make the Top-9.
    HBT has the Reds 6th (Cards 5th) and Toronto not in the top 10.

Neither means anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    HBT has the Reds 6th (Cards 5th) and Toronto not in the top 10.

Neither means anything.
    Yep, I have a list too.. it lists coffee on top

people were loving to cite Stewarts struggle then ignore his 2009 season or dismissed it as much as they could
    I started the thread and called it "Zach Stewart's progress" for a reason -- it's about how Stewart is doing in the here and now, not about last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    So, if Stewarts early struggles were just that, struggles, (a temporary thing) and EE is healthy, then I'd say Toronto got exactly what they wanted out of the trade.
    If that's the way it works out then I'd say it'll be one of those deals that works out well for both teams

If that's the way it works out then I'd say it'll be one of those deals that works out well for both teams
    Exactly. The way they draw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I started the thread and called it "Zach Stewart's progress" for a reason -- it's about how Stewart is doing in the here and now, not about last year.

It's been good his last two starts. Nice to see him show some progress.

Stewart falters again in start #9 at AA New Hampshire:

5 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, 6 K (no HRs)

ERA now at 6.02 on the year.

Turn Off Ads?