Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Cy Young here he comes.

Seriously, he had a nice start today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    Cy Young here he comes.

Seriously, he had a nice start today.
    I bet that's the one comment Doug has made that he wishes he had back, if for no other reason than this board hasn't let him hear the end of it lol
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I bet that's the one comment Doug has made that he wishes he had back, if for no other reason than this board hasn't let him hear the end of it lol
    I still remember the day I said it. I was pretty bummed on the trade. Not the acquisition, but what we paid. Still, I really liked what the Blue Jays had been doing with their pitchers at the time and giving them a premium arm back gave me that comment. I don't care to take it back, though will admit it was made in a moment where I may not have been fully level headed. I don't mind that no one lets it go. We all have our moments. While that one wasn't the best baseball one I have had, my friends won't ever let me live down another comment I once made and it was much worse in terms of them letting me have it about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I still remember the day I said it. I was pretty bummed on the trade. Not the acquisition, but what we paid. Still, I really liked what the Blue Jays had been doing with their pitchers at the time and giving them a premium arm back gave me that comment. I don't care to take it back, though will admit it was made in a moment where I may not have been fully level headed. I don't mind that no one lets it go. We all have our moments. While that one wasn't the best baseball one I have had, my friends won't ever let me live down another comment I once made and it was much worse in terms of them letting me have it about it.
    Sort of like a family, no?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It was inevitable that the Scott Rolen signing was going to come back and bite this team in the rearend.

Scott Rolen's career is over. He destroyed this team in last year's playoffs. He's a sinking ship and he's taking the 2011 REDS down with him. How many rallies can he continue to end (or not start or continue) as the #4/#5 hitter?

doug dirt wasn't as wrong as people are trying to make him out to be here.

Rolen had his DeadCat Bounce year for an aging veteran. It's been back to reality since the playoffs last year.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-22-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Scott Rolen on a bad day is better than a lot of guys on a good day. Since August 1st, 2009:
    Winning percentage with Rolen: .584
    Winning percentage without Rolen: .486
    Over 162 games, that translates to a 95-67 record with Rolen and a 79-83 record without Rolen. Washed up or not, I know I'd rather have Rolen at $7.2MM for both this year and next instead of Encarnacion (2 HRs and paid $2.5MM in 2011), Roenicke (1.533 WHIP in AAA), and/or Stewart (1.969 WHIP in Toronto) right now.

Bad Rolen is still on pace to be an average player over 600 PAs worth of playing time.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Bad Rolen is still on pace to be an average player over 600 PAs worth of playing time.
    A .717 OPS is "Average" for a 3rd Baseman in the National League expected to produce from the #4 and #5 position, and for someone where half his games are the the GAB?

In this ranking, he's not even in the Top-20. And, does his UZR, at this stage of his career, show that he's at least average, too? His current UZR of 3.0 is tied for the second worst of his career.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-22-2011 at 05:20 PM.

The problem is not Rolen. The problem is depending on Rolen as your righty power bat.

Rolen is older, he should be a sixth place hitter now. But the Reds lack a fifth place hitter.

Get a left fielder who can hit, move Rolen down in the lineup, problem basically solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The problem is not Rolen. The problem is depending on Rolen as your righty power bat.

Rolen is older, he should be a sixth place hitter now. But the Reds lack a fifth place hitter.

Get a left fielder who can hit, move Rolen down in the lineup, problem basically solved.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The problem is Rolen though. The guy simply is not hitting, regardless of where he should be hitting in the line up. Coming into today his OBP was .300. That isn't cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The problem is Rolen though. The guy simply is not hitting, regardless of where he should be hitting in the line up. Coming into today his OBP was .300. That isn't cutting it.
    I think there is something physically wrong with him but he's gutting it out.

How he's playing is a Rolen problem. Where he's hitting is a Baker problem.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BakoTheTako View Post
    How he's playing is a Rolen problem. Where he's hitting is a Baker problem.
    Spot on. I call it the Griffey Syndrome. Dusty won't disrespect a Vet's spot in the order no matter how bad the Vet hits. I wouldn't be surprised if Rolen himself asked Dusty to move Bruce up in the order. It's just not a move Baker would make on his own. Too much proof otherwise.

Don't know if it has been mentioned on the site, but Stewart was sent back to AA a week or so ago. 4.86 ERA in 3 big league starts.

Turn Off Ads?