Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Geography
    Probably a clue as to why I flunked it.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Rolen is from Jasper, IN. Even the Chicago teams are farther away than he'd like I'd expect. St. Louis and Cincy are by far the closest and since his bridges were burnt in St. Louis, I'd say Cincy is where he wants to be. The Reds had leverage and gave it away to get the $4 Million covered in 2009. They could have simply waited until after the season and the $4 Million would not have been a factor.
    How do you know what he'd consider too far away from home? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't believe that we ever read a direct quote from Rolen as to what he demanded. I only remember a blurb from some beat writers about what they heard through the grapevine. If there is a direct quote, I would be interested in reading it.

Regardless, even if he did say that he wanted to be closer to Jasper, for all we know, he just wanted out of Canada.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Stewart will start again Tuesday after having been skipped in the rotation for AA New Hampshire. He gave up 7 runs and 13 baserunners in 4+ innings on April 15, when he was pitching on normal rest, so they may be just managing his workload carefully (or he may have had a minor health issue), who knows. So, he'll be working on 12 days' rest.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He has a mid 90's fastball and a devastating slider..... How much else do you need? He also has an average change up. Stuff wise, thats a #3 starting pitcher at worst, if he can throw the innings to match it. That really is the only thing that should be in question. No clue where the likely injury stuff comes from at all.

Doesn't matter though. He is gone. Best of luck to him.
    Yep. He isn't here anymore and we have another thread that is 6+ pages of Stewart hype. Speculation being thrown out there, wild idea's, Grady Sizemore being brought into the mix, etc. Fact of the matter is Scott Rolen is good, really good. He has been as advertised defensively at 3b and his power is still there. He really is the type of guy who you want in your lineup, not someone else's.

Back to the Stewart argument for a brief moment. As of right now the Reds depth chart at P looks like this:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Cueto
    Leake
    Chapman
    Volquez
    Wood
    Maloney

Where would Stewart fit? In the minors he wouldn't be ahead of Chapman and its unlikely that he would be ahead of Volquez when he comes off the DL. I do think you give Wood an edge because of handedness considering the Reds don't have a lefty in their rotation. I don't think the Reds are willing to give up on anyone in the starting rotation as of yet and even if they would do something with Harang or Cueto I don't know if Stewart would have gotten the call.

The only place where Stewart would be of help right now is in the pen. But then again you trade bull pen arms for guys like Scott Rolen every day of the week.

I think the reds want the 5 best pitchers regardless of handedness.

The only place where Stewart would be of help right now is in the pen. But then again you trade bull pen arms for guys like Scott Rolen every day of the week.
    Right. It is not a foregone conclusion that Stewart will be a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Right. It is not a foregone conclusion that Stewart will be a starter.
    Its a foregone conclusion to everyone that favored the trade that he was just a bullpen arm though.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Its a foregone conclusion to everyone that favored the trade that he was just a bullpen arm though.
    Not true. I favored the trade strongly and draw no conclusions whatsoever about Stewart except that--whatever the press has released--he was the Jays' real object in the trade.

When the trade initially happened, I hated it, but unless Stewart develops into a reliable starter, I'm really happy with it. Even if Stewart develops into one of the game's better closers, I'm happy with it.

Absolutely false. I noted many times that his role -- starter or reliever -- was in question, not determined either way.

I remember a huge contingency saying things along the lines of "we got rolen for 2 relievers and a player with out a position"

Paraphrasing and generalizing obviously. There of course was a few who didnt care what we gave up they just wanted Rolen.

As I'm sure it's been noted somewhere in this thread, this trade is very reminiscent of the Kearns/Lopez trade. The Reds probably didn't get as much as they could have in terms of the perceived value of the players they gave up, but overall, it appears that the trade has helped the team more than it has hurt it. Sure, a lot more time is needed to know that for sure, but in the meantime, Rolen is a huge upgrade over EE, Roenicke is redundant (Fisher, Ondrusek, Burton, Bray, Del Rosario, Smith, Valiquette, Arredondo, etc.), and Stewart has yet to do much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    As I'm sure it's been noted somewhere in this thread, this trade is very reminiscent of the Kearns/Lopez trade. The Reds probably didn't get as much as they could have in terms of the perceived value of the players they gave up, but overall, it appears that the trade has helped the team more than it has hurt it. Sure, a lot more time is needed to know that for sure, but in the meantime, Rolen is a huge upgrade over EE, Roenicke is redundant (Fisher, Ondrusek, Burton, Bray, Del Rosario, Smith, Valiquette, Arredondo, etc.), and Stewart has yet to do much of anything.
    Id agree for the most part.

I know this thread is about Stewart, but how good would Roenicke look in the Reds bullpen right about now?

Rolen has produced this year. no doubt. he's also missed a few games because of his back. Stewart has had a rough start. I thought it was a bad trade as I thought Frazier or Francisco could have stepped into the 3B role, while the Reds kept two high upside pitchers. It also would have allowed EE to go to LF, where he probably belongs.

But it didn't work out that way. So we can keep wringing hands over it, trying to prove to the other side how right we were or we can move on. And considering my post history, this is saying alot.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I know this thread is about Stewart, but how good would Roenicke look in the Reds bullpen right about now?
    Based on his career numbers (he hasn't pitched in the big leagues this year,) similar to what Mike Lincoln and Micah Owings have done this season.

Turn Off Ads?