Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

To be absolutely fair, Dye seems to have passed on several teams as well.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Because hes unwilling to accept that he really isnt worth 8 digits anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    there is a reason EVERY team passed on him.
    So I guess you wouldn't have wanted Pedro Martinez last year, either.

Just because a veteran doesn't have a job in April doesn't mean he can't contribute more than what you currently have. My guess is that Dye won't be unemployed for much longer, and there is a good chance he will be better than the flack we are currently running out there for 2/3 of our outfield.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So I guess you wouldn't have wanted Pedro Martinez last year, either.

Just because a veteran doesn't have a job in April doesn't mean he can't contribute more than what you currently have. My guess is that Dye won't be unemployed for much longer, and there is a good chance he will be better than the flack we are currently running out there for 2/3 of our outfield.
    Not at the cost he is demanding. Pedro chose where he wanted to go, but there were no rumors of him to the Yankees or even Red Sox that I remember. I just don't think teams feel Dye will hold up or not be a defensive liability.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    there is a reason EVERY team passed on him.
    Race?
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-is-an-issue/1

Please, lets not take this thread....THERE
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Pitching on 4 days rest for the 2nd straight time (following an outing on 12 days rest), Stewart has another clunker for AA New Hampshire:

3 IP, 5 hits, 5 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, 1 HR

Through 5 starts and 23 innings, Stewart's ERA sits at 6.94 with 26 hits, 11 BB and 5 HR allowed.

Almost sounds like he is hurt

Sounds like the Homer Bailey of AA.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sounds like he's lacking in command and breezed through the lower minors based on only his stuff.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Sounds like he's lacking in command and breezed through the lower minors based on only his stuff.
    Yet with the Reds, he dominated AA and had a 6.8% walk rate. Something is off with him. Just don't know what it is.

May be injured. the 12-day layoff was an obvious red flag. TINSTAAPP is a cliche worth remembering, even if Stewart wins the Cy Young award someday.

Doesn't matter to me whether he is hurt or it is general ineffectiveness. Either one corroborates TINSTAAPP.

Risk of injury is just as much worth worrying about as risk of ineffectiveness. Stewart is clearly suffering from (at least) one of these problems.
    Go BLUE!!!

My objection to the trade still stands. I always thought Rolen would be an upgrade, and defended him against other objectors who thought he wouldn't produce, but the point was that I didn't think the Reds would be good enough in the coming few seasons for it to matter. Sure enough, Rolen's playing lights out, and we're sitting at around .500.

In the meantime, our much-vaunted young staff (Bailey, Volquez, and Cueto) are disappointing to say the least, and having another potential starter like Stewart in the pipelines would be a boon. Ditto for the Roenicke and the pen. Nick Massett ain't exactly the superstar everybody thought he was. Carlos Fisher hasn't panned out. In addition, we've got people saying we should trade BP to open up a spot for Frazier (!?), and nobody knows what to do with Francisco. In my world, they would platoon at 3B for years to come. Years when we might actually have all the pieces come together well enough to win something.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    TINSTAAPP!
    TINSTAAPP?
    HUH?

Turn Off Ads?