Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get off my mound (I need to pitch a perfect game there...)

Get off my mound (I need to pitch a perfect game there...)

Didn't see this posted or discussed anywhere. Saw this article on Yahoo! regarding Arod crossing over the pitchers mound while retreating to first from third base. It appears that he crossed over the pitchers mound and stepped on the rubber. Oakland pitcher Dallas Braden was having none of it.

Arod certainly seems to know very little about unwritten baseball rules and etiquette. If I'm not mistaken he was in some sort of similar situation last year while running down the baseline.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,236110

Here a couple notable quotes from him

Said Braden:

"He should probably take a note from his captain over there and realize you don't cross the pitcher's mound in between an inning or during the game. I was just dumbfounded that he would let that slip his mind — being someone of such status."

"I don't care if I'm Cy Young or the 25th man on the roster, if I've got the ball in my hand and I'm on that mound, that's my mound ... He ran across the pitcher's mound foot on my rubber. No, not happening. We're not the door mat anymore."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Get off my mound

I sat in the office watching this go down. I have no better understanding of his complaint than when I watched it happen with the sound down on the tv.

Should the batter be equally protective of the plate? Or every base?

I get baseball etiquette (or most/some of it), I think. This one, I don't get. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Didn't see this posted or discussed anywhere. Saw this article on Yahoo! regarding Arod crossing over the pitchers mound while retreating to first from third base. It appears that he crossed over the pitchers mound and stepped on the rubber. Oakland pitcher Dallas Braden was having none of it.

Arod certainly seems to know very little about unwritten baseball rules and etiquette. If I'm not mistaken he was in some sort of similar situation last year while running down the baseline.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,236110

Here a couple notable quotes from him
    I was listening to the Yankee broadcast of that game when it happened and the announcers couldn't figure out why Braden was so mad, but they described him as furiously screaming at A-Rod and following him almost all the way to the Yankee dugout, screaming at the top of his lungs the whole way.

I have never heard of that rule, but I also have never seen a player walk over the mound when the opposing team had the field, let alone step on the rubber itself. Even if I didn't know about that rule, I would never do something so rude.

Glad to see A-Rod get shouted down.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    I sat in the office watching this go down. I have no better understanding of his complaint than when I watched it happen with the sound down on the tv.

Should the batter be equally protective of the plate? Or every base?

I get baseball etiquette (or most/some of it), I think. This one, I don't get. At all.
    Runners and batters have a right to bases and the plate. There is no reason for a runner to every go near the mound. Also, pitchers spend a good deal of time and energy getting the mound, especially the area around the rubber, exactly how they like it. They don't want others messing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Runners and batters have a right to bases and the plate. There is no reason for a runner to every go near the mound. Also, pitchers spend a good deal of time and energy getting the mound, especially the area around the rubber, exactly how they like it. They don't want others messing that up.
    So a batter has territorial rights over the batters box and should freak out when a pitcher dares mess with his dirt while covering the plate? It's not like ARod stopped and disturbed the dude's dirt pile. C'mon. We complain about the Yanks' dawdling when someone (rightly so) points out the uneven length it takes them (and the Sox) to play a game. Then when a guy makes a straight line off the field, we want to give air to something so petty as this? Baseball isn't golf. You don't get to act like a jerk when someone steps on your putting line.

This is the dumbest unwritten rule I've ever heard of. Seriously? Flipping out over a runner crossing the mound? Sorry, I don't see the big deal.

I get the ones about showing pitchers up on homers, etc. This one I don't see at all.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

if something this simple makes the pitcher completely lose it opposing players should do it as often as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    if something this simple makes the pitcher completely lose it opposing players should do it as often as they can.
    I dig your rebellious attitude.

That Alex Rodriguez got Dallas Braden that riled, unintentionally or otherwise, could have played into the Yankees' favor. Unfortunately the likely welt he's going to have on his buttock the next time the two clubs meet may not be worth the price he paid to do so.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Only it didn't rile him at all. He went on to get a key double play after that incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    This is the dumbest unwritten rule I've ever heard of. Seriously? Flipping out over a runner crossing the mound? Sorry, I don't see the big deal.

I get the ones about showing pitchers up on homers, etc. This one I don't see at all.
    Actually, what Braden was mad about was that A-Rod ran over the rubber. It wasn't the mound that got Braden upset, that happens every now and then. It was that A-Rod went directly over the rubber and probably did mess with Braden's little pivot ditch that he digs before every half inning.

It's not the mound that's sacred, it's where the pitcher pitches that is sacred.

And if you watch the replay, it wasn't a straight line to where A-Rod was going. He was going back to to first after a foul ball. He took an indirect route to pass over the middle of the mound and step on the rubber. Maybe he did it by accident, and just wasn't paying attention, but regardless, he shouldn't have messed with the rubber.

I don't have the direct quotes, because I heard it on ESPN, but whether you think Braden is nuts for getting upset over this or not, he did supply some great quotes:

(Paraphrasing)

"When I am on the mound, it is the center of the universe. No one messes with my mound."

When asked if this was something personal between him and A-Rod -

"I would yell at my Grandmother if she crossed my mound. And I love my Grandmother."

Anytime someone gets after ARoid, I'm good with it.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Etiquette has a place in sports. Just ask any golfer.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I have always thought of ARod as a bush league player. To be honest its something that I have never looked for but I can't ever remember a player crossing across a mound during an inning. Its one of those things you just don't do. I also have little doubt that ARod did it in an attempt to annoy the pitcher. It just makes too much sense, unwritten rule or not, to run around the mound instead of right over it.

You stay classy ARoid!

Turn Off Ads?