Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mike Leake the ace of the rotation?

Haunted by walks

Re: Is Mike Leake the ace of the rotation?

I've never seen a pitcher throw as many pitches at the knees as Mike Leake does. Each pitch seems to barely break the lower plane of the strike zone. (I also wonder if the hitters finally adjust to it in the sixth and seventh innings.)

2. Turn Off Ads?

From C. Trent:

* Hernandez noted that Leake's done a good job of studying before his starts.

"He's prepared, he always prepares for the game. He's in here and he's in here prepapring the day before he's going to face them. He's 22 and he has a very good idea of what he's going to do before he goes out to the mound."
    http://cnati.com/blogs/ctrent/2010/0...extra-5910.php

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Smart pitcher = Good pitcher.

The most prepared pitcher I can think of was Steve Stone. The night before he would pitch, he would visualize in his head a complete game against the lineup he was going to face, pitch by pitch. Even thinking about doing that makes my head hurt.

Hopefully, some of this rubs off on Bailey.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Tom Browning was a fine pitcher for his era. Back in the day it was ok to be a flyball/strikeout pitcher. Tom was pretty good. So was Sid Fernandez. Now with smaller parks Tom would get destroyed. Can you imagine the carnage at GABP? He'd be run out of town on a rail.
    Yeah, Browning would have had a hard time in GABP. It seemed like he gave up nothing but warning track flyballs. But he didn't walk many so the homers he gave up were mostly solo.

One thing he had in common with Leake was being a fast worker. He couldn't throw the next pitch quick enough. It was almost comical at times. Very aggressive and absolutely no fear. He only had average stuff, but he pitched like he was Nolan Ryan, pounding the strike zone, daring hitters to hit him.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Actually, I think we might end up with more than one all star this year. I think right now, Cordero & Votto are virtual locks. I wouldn't be shocked to see another one too depending on how things go the next month or so. I'd love to see Bruce start to tear it up. Or even Brandon.
    1B is tough. Pujols is obviously the best and will go. Votto has been very go, arguably better than Pujols so far, but he's going to need to be notably better than at least 1 and maybe two of the Fielder, Howard, Gonzalez trio. So far so good though.

Luckily the Pirates have McCutchen playing very well; otherwise I'd be nervous about Garrett Jones hit for some power and getting on as their pity pick.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Daugherty comparing him to Maddux, which I guess is legit in terms of style and physical stature, but it's certainly premature to do anything more than be excited about his promise and indicators thus far.

Definitely the most interesting story of the year, like hitting the largest possible jackpot you can in the draft. I guess the Reds were due.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Smart pitcher = Good pitcher.

The most prepared pitcher I can think of was Steve Stone. The night before he would pitch, he would visualize in his head a complete game against the lineup he was going to face, pitch by pitch. Even thinking about doing that makes my head hurt.

Hopefully, some of this rubs off on Bailey.
    I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I've never seen a pitcher throw as many pitches at the knees as Mike Leake does. Each pitch seems to barely break the lower plane of the strike zone. (I also wonder if the hitters finally adjust to it in the sixth and seventh innings.)
    I think there's a little of that, but I'd be shocked if the main reason wasn't simply that, as Leake tires, it becomes more difficult to throw 90%-effort pitches that move as effectively.

We're talking about a starter who prefers to work at lower velocities. When he fatigues, he has to labor to get the ball TO that lower velocity, which probably decreases effectiveness.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I really do wish there was more national media attention for the guy. He deserves it at this point.

Paul Daugherty - Leake brings Maddux to mind

This is what Greg Maddux did. This is how Maddux won 355 games. Maddux worked fast, threw strikes and changed speeds. His fastest fastball rarely topped 90-per. But he was Rembrandt when it came to throwing every pitch where he wanted, which was usually down and in, down and away, down and down. It’s ludicrous to compare Mike Leake (three wins) to Greg Maddux. But the eyes see what they see.

Seventy-four mile-an-hour breaking balls, taken for strikes on the low outside corner. Seventy-nine mile-an-hour sinkers, beaten to shortstop or second base. Eight-seven mile-an-hour “fastballs’’ taken down the middle. In, out, in again. Low in the strike zone, knee-high, sinkers that drop from the belt to the ankles.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...Maddux+to+mind

Another terrific performance by Leake. Gave up 2 ER in 6 innings against the Cards with 5 K's.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

After tonight, Leake is 4-0 and the Reds are 6-1 in games he pitches.

Draw your own conclusions.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    After tonight, Leake is 4-0 and the Reds are 6-1 in games he pitches.

Draw your own conclusions.
    That CE is man enough to admit when he is wrong?

Props, not many can admit their faults after such a short period of time. Hell, I still think Kearns can pull it around. Well, I may be right, but it took me 5 years.

all you have to do is keep the batter out of sync. mr. leake is doing that right now. lets hope it continues for another 10 plus seasons!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

There's really not much to say about this kid except WOW.

He's a stud.

Turn Off Ads?