Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Is Mike Leake the ace of the rotation?

Re: Is Mike Leake the ace of the rotation?

I'd have to say Johnny Cueto looks more like the ace of the staff right now.

Others including Dusty think Arroyo may be the ace.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'd have to say Johnny Cueto looks more like the ace of the staff right now.

Others including Dusty think Arroyo may be the ace.
    The problem will come if/when the team makes the post-season. That is really when slotting these guys into slots matters. The first two games should go to Cueto and Arroyo (order is up for debate, but I'd pitch Cueto first). After that, this staff makes me nervous. Leake and Wood have looked good, but they are rookies and if they are numbers 3 and 4, that means you may be trusting games 3, 4 and 7 to rookies (assuming Leake is even available at that point). A healthy and recovered Volquez would be OK, but I agree with FCB that we'll see a spotty guy for the rest of 2010 and the Volquez we think we've got probably will be a 2011 arm.

The staff looks good and promising, but if this team is serious about winning now, it needs a TOR arm IMO. Get a TOR guy and go TOR, Arroyo, Cueto and play it by ear. If enough off days/rest in the series, stick to just those three. If another is needed, I'd probably go with Wood at this point.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-25-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

There is almost half a seson left to see who emerges as the best pitcher(s) for the playoffs.

Choosing it now with that much time left is simply a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    There is almost half a seson left to see who emerges as the best pitcher(s) for the playoffs.

Choosing it now with that much time left is simply a waste of time.
    The other side of that coin is that if you don't already know by now, then you are lacking a clear TOR guy and at a distinct disadvantage.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Easy to say that now...but Cueto struggled a little bit early on while Leake was not struggling. The answer wasn't as obvious in April/May.
    Honestly, it was to me. Cueto scuffled a bit but Leake was unbelievably lucky his first 2-3 games. Cueto misses bats, something Leake doesn't do yet.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Honestly, it was to me. Cueto scuffled a bit but Leake was unbelievably lucky his first 2-3 games. Cueto misses bats, something Leake doesn't do yet.
    K/9 (for 2010)

Cueto: 6.43
    Leake: 5.73

Closer than I thought, But Cueto can go on tears like he did in May. We haven't seen that yet from Leake.

Leake had a pretty decent May as well...

Leake's May 6.34 K/9 1.15 WHIP 1.88 ERA. Stellar numbers.

Cueto's May 9.79 K/9 0.84 WHIP 1.59 ERA. Those are dominant numbers. But it's the K/9 that i was referring to. Cueto gets surges like that. Leake hasn't shown that yet. Maybe he will, but I don't think it's very likely.

Turn Off Ads?