Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mike Leake the ace of the rotation?

Re: Is Mike Leake the ace of the rotation?

Well...there are no aces on this staff. Leake has the best ERA, but Arroyo has allowed the least hits and but for one game might be miles ahead of Leake. Leake leads in BB's and Arroyo in K's.

Hard to say.

2. Turn Off Ads?

For those that have said "no" and didn't provide who is, who is then? It's easy to say "no," but it should be expected that if you think he's not that you think someone else is.

I'd be a very happy man if I never heard the term "ace" again. It connotes some skill that isn't measured by other pitching metrics. As if there were some special skill beyond simply being a really good pitcher that differentiated you from others.

That rant aside, interpreting the question as "Is Mike Leake an ace?", clearly he's not. I think there's virtually no chance of him putting up numbers in the sub 3.50 FIP range that would make him an average #1 SP in the NL.

However, if the question is "Is Leake the most effective starter on the Reds?", it really depends on what you think reasonable expectations are.
    His current 5.66 K/9 and BB/9 rates are both very poor. His HR rate is solid, as is his GB rate. His current FIP sits just shy of 5.00. Clearly not our ace.

However, I think we can expect something like a 6.0 K/9, a 3.0 BB/9 and a 1.0 HR/9. That would give him a 4.31 FIP, which I think will put him in the exact same ballpark as every other member of the starting rotation when it's all said and done, Could he end up being the best? I suppose so. But I see a 4.00 ERA upside this year and a potential, as with all rookies, for much worse.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-23-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That rant aside, interpreting the question as "Is Mike Leake an ace?", clearly he's not. I think there's virtually no chance of him putting up numbers in the sub 3.50 FIP range that would make him an average #1 SP in the NL.
    Tangent. I was just looking at something earlier and noticed two guys who were starters for the Reds last year that currently have a sub 3.5 FIP.

I wonder if anyone can guess who they are!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Tangent. I was just looking at something earlier and noticed two guys who were starters for the Reds last year that currently have a sub 3.5 FIP.

Arroyo and Owings?

Actually, Lehr, Wells and Volquez do as well, but that's only because they haven't started any games yet. :
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Arroyo and Owings?

Actually, Lehr, Wells and Volquez do as well, but that's only because they haven't started any games yet. :
    Yes!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    That's the point I was attempting to convey. Affixing the term "ace" to one of the current starters is kind of an insult to the term.
    You have a point, and that makes me sad.

I can't wait to someday have a bonafide ace again, a true stopper.

In terms of a stopper, Bunny Arroyo is that man.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Demote Arroyo. Promote Owings. Until July, when Arroyo's carpal tunnel improves.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Can I change my vote to yes?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

This is now like the outdated trivial pursuit questions where the answer is East Germany.

Haunted by walks

Since Leake is the only starter who has won a game, I guess that makes him the ace. Or at least the stopper.

Mike Leake may one day be the ace of the staff, but unfortunately this staff is currently a long way from having an ace. I think when Aroldis comes up, the staff will improve and will, before the season is over, be more than decent, but as for a legit ace? I don't want to water down the term.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The Reds "ACE" is in Louisville. He throws really fast, and is from Cuba. However, he's not ready for that role quite yet.

Right now, Mike Leake has proven himself to be a good pitcher, especially since he never played any minor league ball. Ace? Maybe for this staff, but no....not in reality.

The Reds have no Ace. Harang is an overpaid 5th starter at best.

Arroyo had a bad night tonight, but I still count on him to give what his stats say he should, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm not sure from there...

I say hang with Homer a bit longer and see...

Cueto will hopefully do better after his day off, even though he didn't pitch winter ball. It's April. Come on.

I'm not sure if any of this answered anything, but I gave it a shot.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-24-2010 at 03:50 AM.

If a kid who was fighting for the 5th spot in the rotation at the end of ST is our Ace, then we in a whole heap of trouble.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If a kid who was fighting for the 5th spot in the rotation at the end of ST is our Ace, then we in a whole heap of trouble.
    "We in a whole hope of trouble" applies for a lot of stuff going on with the Reds right now.

Turn Off Ads?