Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Keels, does he strike you as boring?

Paul Keels, does he strike you as boring?

After resenting George Grande for so long, I've actually been missing his enthusiasm a little so far this year.

Keels is okay, but his lackluster calls on big plays have been a bit of a disappointment. I like Thom and Chris, but Paul Keels has gotten a lot of on-field calls wrong, and seems to lack any passion about the game of baseball.

Several times I've heard Chris chime in for him on a big play, drowning him out.

Your thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Paul Keels, does he strike you as boring?

I enjoy that Keels is a genuine life-long Reds fan...so his knowledge of Reds history is great. I still need some more time for the rest of his game to grow on me.
    However, I've never noticed how much of a homer Welsh is. I'm not used to announcers openly cheering like he did when Jay Bruce hit his HR during Thursday night's game.
    Has he always done this and I just never noticed or is this new?

ive been getting the impression that Chris is trying to hard to help Paul.....maybe thats just me, but its what goes through my mind.....with that said, I think I like the combo of Chris and Paul.....almost opposites and I am sure Paul will get a little more enthused as he gets more comfortable.

Paul has a golden voice.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Paul does have the voice for broadcasting, but he does strike me as a bit too mellow. Welsh is such a pleasant fella - he'll do whatever he can to make Paul feel comfortable and remove any awkwardness that could exist between them.

I also appreciate his knowledge of the Reds, their history, and that he's a genuine fan. But I've heard him call other sports and baseball doesn't really seem to be his thing. Maybe he'll grow into this role and develop a little more of a personality, but for now, he's not doing much for me. He's what I call a "safe pick" I suppose.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Yes, he's a tad sleep inducing. But, as stated, he certainly has the voice for it.

Where is Thom anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockermann View Post
    Yes, he's a tad sleep inducing. But, as stated, he certainly has the voice for it.

Where is Thom anyway?
    Radio for some of the time. When I have tuned into the radio it's non stop stories of Thom as a kid. He is having fun reminiscing with his Dad.

Paul Keels borders on tranquilizing. He's the low fidelity voice you play at night to help you fall asleep. His banter with Chris is lame. His sense of humor is ultra-dry to the point it can no longer be considered humor. He is a company man without a personality. He might as well be a robot. I wasn't a huge Grande guy, but the man had a personality and was exuberant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Paul Keels borders on tranquilizing. He's the low fidelity voice you play at night to help you fall asleep. His banter with Chris is lame. His sense of humor is ultra-dry to the point it can no longer be considered humor. He is a company man without a personality. He might as well be a robot.

Soooooooo....................not a big Keels guy, then ?
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

They should have hired Dan Hoard.

Hoard should be the next guy hired when someone else leaves, not even debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    Soooooooo....................not a big Keels guy, then ?
    What do you mean? I love Paul Keels.

I think we are just used to him broadcasting those boring pre-season games in August with Munoz.

I dislike Keels

part of BBN

Never seen or heard Keels till this season and Yes, he is very boring. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. He sounds more like he needs to be doing commercials than baseball.

I personally can't stand him. Much more of a at Thom fan. I'd even go as far as saying I liked George better than Keels
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Turn Off Ads?