Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mike Leake and innings pitched

Mike Leake and innings pitched

Leake has pitched over 20 innings in 3 starts. Should we be as worried about his innings piling up over the year as much as we are with Homer Bailey? If he stays on this pace and has only 30 starts, he'll pitch over 200 innings. Without any minor league seasoning to build up his innings, isn't this a recipe for disaster?
    I'm sure he didn't pitch this much in college.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Leake and innings pitched

Except you aren't taking in to account that last year between college and AFL he pitched, I think 170 innings. So on pace for 200 really isn't that big of a jump for him. I am more concerned with the number of pitches he throws than the innings.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by double21d View Post
    Leake has pitched over 20 innings in 3 starts. Should we be as worried about his innings piling up over the year as much as we are with Homer Bailey? If he stays on this pace and has only 30 starts, he'll pitch over 200 innings. Without any minor league seasoning to build up his innings, isn't this a recipe for disaster?
    I'm sure he didn't pitch this much in college.
    Here's his stats from ASU:

Code:
    Year	ERA	G	GS	CG	W	L	SV	IP	H	R	ER	BB	SO	Opp/Avg
    2007	3.69	25	13	2	13	2	1	127.0	126	59	52	29	94	.258
    2008	3.49	19	16	2	11	3	1	121.1	118	61	47	20	104	.254
    2009	1.71	19	18	7	16	1	0	142.0	95	31	27	24	162	.193
    TOTAL	2.91	63	47	11	40	6	2	390.1	339	151	126	73	360	.235
    Also, a little nugget from Bryan Price about managing his innings:

If you want to manage innings, you have to keep kids from pitching after September 1," says Price. "That's where the innings go from 160, 175, where everyone's comfortable, to closer to 200. When we get to September, we'll evaluate where his innings are and make the big decisions then."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...42/2/index.htm

He shouldnt throw more than 170 in my mind.

I think number of pitches is a more important indicator than innings pitched. Leake has improved his pitch efficiency in each start. In his first game, with 7 walks, he threw 107 pitches in 6 1/3 innings. (17 pitches per inning.) In his second start, he threw 99 pitches in 7 innings (14 pitches per inning.) Last night, he threw only 93 pitches in 7 complete which calculates to just over 13 pitches per inning. He walked only one batter, which really helps.

Leake got eaten up by a couple of HRs last night, but I'm encouraged by the way his pitch efficiency is trending. If he keeps his walk count down and stays below 15 pitches per inning, he can go 7 strong every time he takes the mound and it would take him 25 starts to exceed 170 innings.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

I wouldnt worry too much about it. The major leagues outings are much more spread out than college innings as a starting pitcher.

Turn Off Ads?