Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 4-23-10 Padres at Reds

Re: 4-23-10 Padres at Reds

I want to thank Bronson Arroyo (and Owings) for allowing me to retire early last night and get caught up on my sleep.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

With an offense that is sucking as much as this one is, you've GOT to ride ANY hot bats on your team.

Dusty?? HELLO?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Wow...was at game last night. This team is as bad as I was afraid they could be.

Bronson had a "Toronto Start" and just didn't have it. In the 4th it *appeared* he got cute and unintentionally intentionally walked the 8th hitter to get to the pitcher. Then proceeded to walk the pitcher who was trying to bunt. Fail. Talk about an off night.

Phillips being cast as a cleanup hitter has damn near ruined him. He looks horrible at the plate. No, I'm not saying hes a bad hitter, I'm just saying his approach of trying to jack every pitch just isn't a good one.

And way back in the 2nd there was a grounder past Phillips that started off the hit parade....it sure *looked like* one he could have gotten to. Didn't dive....didn't make any attempt to stop it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it sure seemed like he dogged it. Not to mention he almost seemed tentative in the field last night. There were two plays last night were he made the stop, and ultimately completed the out but he seemed to hold on to the ball forever and then make a last second throw (beyond the time his forward momentum was carrying him forward...it was as if he was waiting till the last second to make the throw). I could be 100% in outer space but he didn't seem his confident self in the field last night.

Left side of the field is S.L.O.W. Sorry to the folks who are tired of talking defense, but our left side is range challenged.

Our offense sucks. Sorry to the folks who are tired of talking offense but it's chock full of hacktastic guys and is going to a roller coaster seasons: some weeks will look good, most weeks will stink. Frankly, other than Votto, Hannagan and Rolen I just about don't care when a Red strolls to the plate.

Bruce has a great arm and is way faster than I give him credit for. If he can get it together at the plate he'd be a monster.

I sorta felt bad for Owings. While he's at fault for the grand salami, bases loaded and no outs isnt' an easy position to be thrust into. But somehow a mediocre long relief pitcher doesn't strike me as a good return for a power hitter who was on base all the time.

Tonight was just not a "sometimes you get beat" night. Tonight displayed all the fundamental underlying issues the team has and why it's not going anywhere. Yes, they could turn around and do the same thing to the Pads today, but ultimately this team just has too many gaping holes.

Looking for the positives: The cinnamon breadsticks in the Champions Club are awesome.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 04-24-2010 at 07:25 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

My daughter and I stayed at the game through the sixth inning. Worst game I have ever attended, and I have been to several hundred Reds games. It felt weird to be waiting for the Reds to get a hit to leave, because of Correia having a no- hitter going through five.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    With an offense that is sucking as much as this one is, you've GOT to ride ANY hot bats on your team.

Dusty?? HELLO?!
    I disagree somewhat. Correia threw a really good game. We did score 4 runs so it's not like the offense is inept. We also scored a REALLY solid amount in the Dodger series. However, you do need to ride hot bats. And right now, those belong to Hanigan, Janish, Rolen & Votto. They should play everyday until they snap out of it or someone else starts raking.

The problem right now is the pitching is sucking. It's not Dusty's fault, it's not Bryan Price's fault, it's not GABP's fault, it's not Brook Jacoby's fault, it's not bad luck's fault. Plain and simple, our starters are not getting the job done. They're not executing. They all have the stuff and they all have the ability to get hitters out. But something needs to snap inside them and get them to stop walking batters and to stop nibbling. You've got a PLUS defense behind you...go after the hitters aggressively. I haven't seen ANY of our starters do that anywhere close to consistently. I'm sure Dusty & Bryan have both said this...I have NO DOUBT about this. The problem is the pitchers aren't executing it.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I disagree somewhat. Correia threw a really good game. We did score 4 runs so it's not like the offense is inept. We also scored a REALLY solid amount in the Dodger series.
    The Dodgers have only been slightly less bad at allowing runs than the Reds so far this season.

However, you do need to ride hot bats. And right now, those belong to Hanigan, Janish, Rolen & Votto. They should play everyday until they snap out of it or someone else starts raking.
    I'd say, they should play every day.

The problem right now is the pitching is sucking. It's not Dusty's fault, it's not Bryan Price's fault, it's not GABP's fault, it's not Brook Jacoby's fault, it's not bad luck's fault. Plain and simple, our starters are not getting the job done. They're not executing. They all have the stuff and they all have the ability to get hitters out. But something needs to snap inside them and get them to stop walking batters and to stop nibbling. You've got a PLUS defense behind you...go after the hitters aggressively. I haven't seen ANY of our starters do that anywhere close to consistently. I'm sure Dusty & Bryan have both said this...I have NO DOUBT about this. The problem is the pitchers aren't executing it.
    No, that's not "the" problem. "The" problem is the Reds currently have no strengths. The offense, pitching and defense have all been bottom tier so far.

And it's _everybody's_ fault. The team isn't executing, the management hasn't been successful in implementing change and the front office hasn't put together a winning roster.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Turn Off Ads?