Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just Awful, all 25 of them

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Just Awful, all 25 of them

on this day, no one and I mean no one is free from something they did poorly. On the laundry list:

Throwing the ball into the stands with two outs! I was taught to keep my head in the game in little league! Stubbs isn't a good enough player to be doing stuff like that at this stage in the game.

Jay Bruce missing fastballs right down the middle of the plate. Hitting .180. I'm tired of excusing him. He doesn't look right. Not at all.

Johnny Cueto's inability to put a start together. Had good stuff today, yet still managed to get hammered pretty good in spells. Nice base running as well.

I'm tired of seeing Joey Votto go down to one knee when he swings a bat. He does this nearly one at bat a game now, sometimes more. He's gone from a sure-bet that we all thought we had to a guy who now really has no business hitting third in any MLB lineup let alone ours. Joey, big league hitters don't hit from a knee, no excuses. Stop doing it. It looks terrible. It's Bush League.

Brandon Phillips. Not a clean up hitter. Whatever. Did he get picked off?

Gomes. No range in left field. Poor Pony League angle at the ball hit to left field that ended up a double. Swings at a first pitch down 5 runs and pops it safely into right field. Really the micro-cosm of the whole lineup. He goes up there hacking at fastballs down the middle and if he doesn't get it, automatic out. Lack of an approach in every plate appearance which is why he's not really a decent big league hitter and never has been. He also was picked off.

Ramon Hernandez is done. He's a singles hitter at best, a .230-.240 singles hitter. What does he bring to the table? Maybe he's a good cook or something I don't know. But he's bad on the field and Hanigan needs to be in the lineup 75% of the time.

I am so sick and tired of this team looking worse then the way 28 or 29 other teams in MLB look on a given day. They win ugly. The losses are ugly. They lose big. They look flat. They can't play from behind very well. They don't hit in the clutch. They don't play especially smart baseball.

This is a poor group of 25 and honestly, blow it up. You can say "wait until Memorial Day" but things aren't getting better. I don't care if Dusty comes back or not after this year, he doesn't deserve it and Bryan Price is a real schlup as a pitching coach as well. I don't need to see 162 to know that this team lacks a LOT and I don't care if every one of them isn't here next year.

You try something and if it doesn't work, you try something else. It's time to go back to the drawing board with a lot of these guys, including the sure bets we thought we had in Bruce, and Votto.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Likes:

Larry Schuler (04-10-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just Awful, all 25 of them

Can't argue with anything. I've been one of the more optimistic people on this board over these many years but I think over the past calendar year my eyes have really been opened up.

This team is not fun to watch. I wish I could quit this team but.....I can't. I'll be right back in front of the TV at 1:10 tomorrow afternoon.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    This team is not fun to watch. I wish I could quit this team but.....I can't. I'll be right back in front of the TV at 1:10 tomorrow afternoon.
    Thats why I'm angry. You hit the nail on the head. I usually fight to find the positives but right now I cannot lie to myself and what my eyes are seeing.

They're just not fun to watch. The gameplay looks 'bottled' to a sense, almost like its a predictable group with every at-bat's result or outcome. How could anyone with MLB credentials (front office, management, coaches, scouting) have thought this group had enough to get it done? Not only are they not talented, but they're really short on character. There's no leader. They're a bunch of lambs walking willfully into slaughter. No fire, no passion, nothing.

They're a bunch of guys who have never really won anything at the MLB level and they're fine just to play their 9 innings and go home, win or lose.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Sometimes the other guys are just better than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Impossible.
    Go Gators!

Right now the other guys are always better and there are no signs of this changing.

for a decade now
    This place use to be fun

I'm optimistic because we're now really seeing how bad the current talent is and the need for near complete overhaul. It's entirely possible, it seems to me, that Leake is the only member of this year's rotation that will be here in 2011.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'm optimistic because we're now really seeing how bad the current talent is and the need for near complete overhaul. It's entirely possible, it seems to me, that Leake is the only member of this year's rotation that will be here in 2011.
    The team is unable / unwilling to spend the money for a complete overhaul. If that's what you're looking for, you're pretty much writing off the next 3-5 years as new players come through the minor league system.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Right now the other guys are always better and there are no signs of this changing.
    Except for those 7 times this year when we have won. And there are signs of it changing.... a lot of our guys are playing under their true skill level. Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo and Harang aren't of the 7.00 ERA talent, it is just what they have done so far. The entire team isn't a sub .700 OPS team outside of Votto and Rolen, its just how they have performed through 50 at bats each.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The team is unable / unwilling to spend the money for a complete overhaul. If that's what you're looking for, you're pretty much writing off the next 3-5 years as new players come through the minor league system.

Doesn't matter. What has to be the beginning place is straightforward assessment of the talent. Trying to add to a base that just isn't good enough will only result in even more lost decades (of which I don't have many remaining.)

Blow it up? this team is what you get when you blow a team up, a lot of young guys, some of whom will stick others who will go the way of Todd Dunwoody and Chris Gruler, that is what 2010 is about in Reds baseball.
    Go Gators!

the biggest disappointment for me so far this season has probably been Bryan Price. I usually point the finger at the talent but there's no arguing the fact that the Reds have quality arms and obviously aren't getting anything out of them. I guess I was expecting a new philosophy...a new mindset...a new attitude but it seems like more of the same. I hate the nibbling, the falling behind and going fat in the strike zone, the apparent fear of pitching inside and getting guys off the plate.

the offense obviously is frustrating too but I kinda expected that anyway. Phillips is one of my favorites but he's a joke in the cleanup role...I'd move him to leadoff and hopefully change his mindset. I'd get rid of Jacoby and find Greg Vaughn....he's still bound to have a presence about him.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Blow it up? this team is what you get when you blow a team up, a lot of young guys, some of whom will stick others who will go the way of Todd Dunwoody and Chris Gruler, that is what 2010 is about in Reds baseball.
    Exactly. Struggling through guys who are up too soon (Stubbs and his .713 2009 AAA OPS for example) or crummy guys holding a spot while the kids develop on the farm (Cabrera, Hernandez, Cairo, etc.). This team already blew up what little it had when Dunn was dealt. Now it needs to grow up and add some better pieces where there isn't a solution on hand.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

List of disappointments for me- in order:

1. Homer Bailey
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Johnny Cueto
    4. Brian Price
    5. Drew Stubbs (I kind of expected him to suck)
    6. Aaron Harang (ditto, although maybe not this bad)
    7. Orlando Cabrera's defense
    8. Edinson Volquez's PEDs

List of pleasant surprises
    1. Mike Leake
    2. Scott Rolen

That's it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?