Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

And boom goes the dynamite.

91. Wins.

Still feels weird to type.

Bump.... I'm trying guys....

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Last year has nothing to do with this year. Sorry.

This could have been posted a dozen times during the lost decade.

So far this team doesn't look like the team that will win 86 or 87 ( what I predicted). We'll see how good they can play with saviors Cueto and Bailey, but who is to say that someone else won't go down (injury) or fall back to earth (Gomes) when they come back?

If all goes well, they win 86 or 87. Great. Hope I'm wrong and they win more, but I doubt it. My hope and faith will not make them win more.

The Reds are 9-9. It's April.

If you're on the ledge, you might as well jump off and save everyone's time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

The way things have gone so far this year reminds me of a game where your team jumps out to a nice lead in the first inning by scoring five runs and your all happy but by the bottom of the inning things are all tied up.At that point you just say oh well, it's going to be one of those games because at that point there's really nothing loss other then a early lead.Right now this season is barley out of the first inning.No ledge for me but this does kinda suck.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-21-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Who's on the ledge? This thread was started in April 2010.

Save everyone the time of what?

Here's a gem from last season...

Yeah. I'd say the Reds, if anything, have placed entirely too much faith in young arms with serious warts on their record. Acquiring Brad Penny-types should be nearly automatic for a struggling squad like the Reds; instead, we let the frontrunners grab him. I get "schooled" all the time about being "silly" and "unrealistic" about grabbing the brass ring with guys like Halladay, but what's the excuse for not getting an inexpensive fireballer with some injury warts like Penny?
    Cards gave him 7.5 million.
    As a side note, after the first comment criticizing the Reds weak staff and FO for failing to acquire an obvious upgrade in Penny, Brad P started another 5 games posting an ERA of 5.66 over 27 innings before going down with a season-ending injury.

Prognosticating doom and gloom for any pitcher who has not earned a big payday during free agency may sound insightful but as analysis goes, it's more cheaply bought nobility than it's a legitimate analysis of a pitcher's true talent.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

What this stretch proves is that if you are slumping deeply, it doesn't matter who the opponent is in MLB. One good sign, at least we got a little bit of pitching last night.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Reds are 9-9. It's April.

If you're on the ledge, you might as well jump off and save everyone's time.
    It's not the 9-9 that's bothersome. What's particularly concerning is who that 9-9 came against. Let's face it, other than the three to open the season against Milwaukee, the other 15 games have come against the short bus of the National League.

What does a 4-9 record against the Astros, Diamondbacks, Padres and Pirates translate to against the likes of the Cardinals, Giants, Phillies, Rockies, Braves, Yankees, Rays, Marlins and Brewers?

The Reds could not have possibly had a more favorable early schedule with which to get out of the blocks strong and build a little early lead. And they could not have disappointed more with that favorable early schedule.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 04-21-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    It's not the 9-9 that's bothersome. What's particularly concerning is who that 9-9 came against. Let's face it, other than the three to open the season against Milwaukee, the other 15 games have come against the short bus of the National League.

What does a 4-9 record against the Astros, Diamondbacks, Padres and Pirates translate to against the likes of the Cardinals, Giants, Phillies, Rockies, Braves, Yankees, Rays, Marlins and Brewers?
    To me the real issue is the lost opportunity to build a cushion. For instance, I thought the Reds were roughly a .531 team coming into the season.

I still do but assuming they act that way the rest of the year, that means they'd finish with about 85 wins. Suddenly the division title looks like a much harder dog fight without much room for injury/error.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'm not sure it translates to anything to be honest. This team as they are playing right now would lose to any MLB squad. This team as they were playing the first week of the season would beat any MLB squad. I think the real Reds sit somewhere in the middle of those two streaks.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    To me the real issue is the lost opportunity to build a cushion. For instance, I thought the Reds were roughly a .531 team coming into the season.

I still do but assuming they act that way the rest of the year, that means they'd finish with about 85 wins. Suddenly the division title looks like a much harder dog fight without much room for injury/error.
    I would say that they are dealing with the injury/error thing right now. Phillips had missed a substantial chunk of this home stand and the Reds are missing Cueto and Bailey.

Streaks like this happen to every team over the course of a season. Heck last year the Reds got swept by one of the worst teams in baseball in Seattle and also had a poor home stand series against the Pirates.

The Reds could not have possibly had a more favorable early schedule with which to get out of the blocks strong and build a little early lead. And they could not have disappointed more with that favorable early schedule.
    Too much thinking for my taste. Some of the "short bus" teams as you called them have actually played pretty well in the early going. To say they're worse than the Cardinals, Phillies or Braves this early into the season is debateable. And who's to say that when we do play the upper tier teams that they won't be struggling like the Reds are now.

It's April, we're at .500, nothing is lost. If we were blowing through teams right now some would be worried this team is peaking too early.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I would say that they are dealing with the injury/error thing right now. Phillips had missed a substantial chunk of this home stand and the Reds are missing Cueto and Bailey.

Streaks like this happen to every team over the course of a season. Heck last year the Reds got swept by one of the worst teams in baseball in Seattle and also had a poor home stand series against the Pirates.
    Of course streaks happen but the fact that this one is happening is a missed opportunity. Hopefully it won't bite the Reds in September...

Turn Off Ads?