Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 136

Thread: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

  1. #16
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,026

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I know, I know. Today we looked absolutely TERRIBLE. So far this season we have been rather lackluster as a whole. But look at the stats of the players and ask yourself.... is that the guys true talent level. For just about every single player, the answer is an emphatic NO.

    Now some guys aren't all that good, but even those guys are playing well under their true talent level. Things aren't going to continue being this bad. Is Johnny Cueto really a 6+ ERA guy? What about Harang, Arroyo and Bailey? No, they aren't. How good they are doesn't matter much, because we all know they aren't as bad as they have looked so far. Is every hitter on the Reds a sub .700 OPS bat outside of Rolen and Votto? No, they aren't.

    I know its cliched to say it, but its early. Funny things happen when its early. This team is going to be better moving forward. How much better, well that is unknown, but the team isn't as bad as it has looked to this point in the season.

    I give you credit Doug. You are a true fan. A knowledgable, and patient fan. I wish I could talk myself back from the ledge. I am just dumb-founded not so much at the records; but how we seem to have prospect after prospect that is can't miss come to the big leagues the same way St. Louis does and other guys around baseball and they work out as their supposed to and our guys just don't. It doesn't make sense and I can't figure it out.

    So tomorrow we'll try again.... hopefully we start a win streak soon. I'm in a lot better mood around the house then.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Red Sox: 8-10
    Dodgers: 8-9
    Rangers: 7-10
    Diamondbacks: 7-10
    Braves: 8-9

    All of these teams are supposed to be playoff contenders, if not division winners. We're within 1.5 games of each of them. We haven't even played have the teams in the league yet. It's early.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  4. #18
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,224

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Since many have a football approach to baseball let's look at it this way, say the season is the football field, if the Reds started the season on their own goal line they'd only be at their own 10 yard line by now.

    Feel better?

  5. #19
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Since many have a football approach to baseball let's look at it this way, say the season is the football field, if the Reds started the season on their own goal line they'd only be at their own 10 yard line by now.

    Feel better?
    Or to make another football analogy with 10% of the season gone it's like the the Reds are 0-1. Not time to flip out yet, even if it's fairly obvious that they're just not that good a team.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  6. #20
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Par on the first hole. On the 2nd hole, we hit it into the woods, off a tree, and then laid up in to a bunker. Hopefully we can hole the wedge and finish with just a bogey.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  7. #21
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I know, I know. Today we looked absolutely TERRIBLE. So far this season we have been rather lackluster as a whole. But look at the stats of the players and ask yourself.... is that the guys true talent level. For just about every single player, the answer is an emphatic NO.

    Now some guys aren't all that good, but even those guys are playing well under their true talent level. Things aren't going to continue being this bad. Is Johnny Cueto really a 6+ ERA guy? What about Harang, Arroyo and Bailey? No, they aren't. How good they are doesn't matter much, because we all know they aren't as bad as they have looked so far. Is every hitter on the Reds a sub .700 OPS bat outside of Rolen and Votto? No, they aren't.

    I know its cliched to say it, but its early. Funny things happen when its early. This team is going to be better moving forward. How much better, well that is unknown, but the team isn't as bad as it has looked to this point in the season.
    That's a very good post, I think that it is true what you are saying outright and implying.

    I don't care what I have muddled around posting over the weeks etc, they are not this bad, no way. You have to be right, numbers and humans don't do that all at once, and so many, and stay that way, no.

  8. #22
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'm not getting on anybody, everyone has the right to their opinion.
    Oh gee thanks.

    No thanks, I am sick of my opinions, I am looking for someone to take all of them for less than a bag of used balls. I need and want some new ones. Mine are old and worn out, like a bad pair of socks, washed too many times.

  9. #23
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    If the Reds season were a beer at a party, it'd only be 10% filled with cigarette butts!

    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  10. #24
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,581

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    You could look at the flip side. What about the false hope given to the teams that we know, because its so early, like San Diego, that are probably playing their best baseball right now, as we play them, and that it is likely that the rest of the season, will be a steady downhill slide. Will their staff really be this good all year? I'd rather know that my team's best days are most likely yet to come.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  11. #25
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Yep, I think we've lulled the rest of the league into a false sense of security.

    That's the plan. Obviously. And I think it's working.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  12. #26
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    The Reds had a really hot start last year and we all know how that turned out. The Yankees started off bad last year, their pitching staff was worse than the Reds staff has been thus year, and we all know how that turned out.

    Great thing about baseball is that the season is so long a teams true talent level almost always finds itself by season's end. Barring major injuries, this team will be around .500 at season's end, maybe better if Jocketty can pull of a trade for another professional bat, or a prospect from AAA develops early.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  13. #27
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,161

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Skip: "You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!"

    Larry: "Lollygaggers!"

    Skip: "Lollygaggers."




    If only "scaring them" would work. Something needs to set a fire under these guys. When you're scuffling as a team, the one thing you CAN'T have is a lack of effort. You need everything you can to bust out of a skid we're on right now. Not hustling...not allowed. Not having your head in the game...not allowed.

    Pickoffs, making the last out at 3rd, tossing the ball into the stands after 2 outs? Not allowed.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  14. #28
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,217

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    If you didn't give up hope after being swept by the Pirates last weekend then a 3-3 home stand against LA and San Diego should do it.

    8-11 after 21 games is actually encouraging considering that IMO this team won't play this bad over that period of time for the rest of the year.We all know what kind of individual numbers that many of our guys are putting up from our hitting to our pitching with defense and base running included it's not been a pretty picture.

    I know it might seem a bit silly to say it but I actually think that the Reds 8-11 record speaks more to how good they can be rather than how bad they've been.Things will get better.

  15. #29
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,809

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    If you didn't give up hope after being swept by the Pirates last weekend then a 3-3 home stand against LA and San Diego should do it.

    8-11 after 21 games is actually encouraging considering that IMO this team won't play this bad over that period of time for the rest of the year.We all know what kind of individual numbers that many of our guys are putting up from our hitting to our pitching with defense and base running included it's not been a pretty picture.

    I know it might seem a bit silly to say it but I actually think that the Reds 8-11 record speaks more to how good they can be rather than how bad they've been.Things will get better.
    The bolded part is the major hiccup at this point. If they go 1-2 in Pitt, the Reds are 9-10. If they go 2-1 in Pitt, we've got a winning record.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,499

    Re: Step back from the ledge Reds fans

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The bolded part is the major hiccup at this point. If they go 1-2 in Pitt, the Reds are 9-10. If they go 2-1 in Pitt, we've got a winning record.

    They didn't.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25