Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Interested in Extension? Reds Declined?

Re: Dusty Interested in Extension? Reds Declined?

The guy clearly needs to stop signing on with bad franchises. Does anyone think for a second that this team would be a hair's breadth better with Larussa, say?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I can imagine the media and the 700 crew would love it, "Big Red Machine GUY OMG!!!"

Colossal disaster that it would be
    Indeed. But if Dusty's "theories" drive many hear at RZ crazy I can only imagine the heads exploding when JM opened his mouth.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The guy clearly needs to stop signing on with bad franchises. Does anyone think for a second that this team would be a hair's breadth better with Larussa, say?
    What is the pay rate you get for mentioning anyone affiliated with the Cardinals?

It's got to be pretty nice.. have you thought of restructuring your deal? You do good work.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    What is the pay rate you get for mentioning anyone affiliated with the Cardinals?

It's got to be pretty nice.. have you thought of restructuring your deal? You do good work.
    Larussa comes to mind as they're compared all the time, right or wrong? Okay, replace Larussa's name with Torre? It's still same crap Reds' 25 man, that ain't changin'.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Go BLUE!!!

I don’t believe the rumor. Mr. Baker was said to not be worried about such things as a contract extension earlier in the spring. Mr. Jocketty had his position on continuity before even that.

Besides “it’s still early”.

How could the guy win with what Mr. Jocketty has given him in the way of pitching and offense that everyone is complaining about?

Give him a team with hitting and pitching like he had many years ago in San Fran and he will win, I don’t know how much players like that would cost though in 2010 forward.

I think Mr. Castellini should stand behind his own words and actions, and should stand up for his man, Mr. Baker and resign him to a long term contract with a hefty raise.

I can't imagine going to your boss and saying"I know things have been a little rocky so fan this year and last year we didn't do too good and the year before we did even worse but hey how about an extension and while your at it how about a raise".

I've never been a fan of Dusty but if he'd won here then I'd be happy with him coaching the team.I know everyone wants to talk about the roster he has had over his time in Cincinnati and that's fair.It hasn't been all that good.I still don't think the team has preformed to it's potential so far this year and I don't think they did Baker's first two season.IMO a good coach would have at least 1 winning season to point to or at least have this current team off to a good start.

Even considering my dislike for the guy I'd still give him some time this year.If the team is doing ok then let him finish the year.If in the end he manages to get the team into the playoffs or maybe just over .500 then maybe extension talks would be appropriate.

Mr. Baker looks like he might be too high maintenance for the Reds.
    They aren't use to spending what it takes for him to produce a winning team in the most recent decade.
    They might have to add another 30-40 million to payroll.

Code:
    DB San Francisco Yrs. 
    1993 $ 34,567,500      103 - 59 .636
    1994 $ 40,054,300 	55 - 60 .478
    1995 $ 34,931,849 	67 - 77 .465
    1996 $ 34,605,225 	68 - 94 .420
    1997 $ 33,469,213	90 - 72 .556
    1998 $ 40,320,835	89 - 74 .546
    1999 $ 46,059,557	86 - 76 .531	Reds Spent
    2000 $ 53,541,000	97 - 65 .599	$ 44,217,500
    2001 $ 63,280,167	90 - 72 .556	$ 48,784,000
    2002 $ 78,299,835  WS   95 - 66 .590	$ 45,050,390

DB Chicago Yrs						
    2003 Cubs 88 74  .543	$ 79,868,333	$ 59,355,667
    2004 Cubs 89 73  .549	$ 90,560,000	$ 46,615,250
    2005 Cubs 79 83  .488	$ 87,032,933	$ 61,892,583
    2006 Cubs 66 96  .407	$ 94,424,499	$ 60,909,519

Dusty's talent is taking a group of talented (read: expensive) players and making them gel. His skill is not in making a losing team into a winner.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    . His skill is not in making a losing team into a winner.
    No manager possesses this skill. Or was that your point?

That's my point. With the talent on the team, there would ultimately be no major change in W-L's if we went from paying Dusty millions and paying Rick Sweet peanuts.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

So a team wins 79 games under a poor manager.Your telling me that no manager, no matter how good, could've got that same team to 85 win?

I hear this often and will just never understand why someone would think this.

Scott Rolen said the players love playing for him. After his no talk and ripping the team, they found a way to win on Sunday. Let us see if this carries over on the road trip.

I have always said the managers that have fire in their Belly's are the best for the Reds. Lou won a WS. Johnson got them to the playoffs. We all know what Sparky did and Johnny Mac has fire too. Since Johnson, the Reds have had YES men and guys with no spark. Nice guys, but nothing else. Narron, Boone, Pete Mack, In fact it has been so bad, I can not even remember all the managers in the past 15 years.

This organization needs fire in the manager. Dusty is a nice guy, but has no fire. I still think a Valentine or Showalter is the right personality to have leading this team.

Any ideas on guys who fit this description??
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Hopefully he continues to be rebutted. I have said since the day he was hired he is/was/always will be a bad fit for this franchise. He could go to Philly, LA, NY, (insert franchise with money) and be a better fit. But for especially a young team we need someone to give these players guidance, they dont know all the ins and outs of their game like what Duhhhhsty had in Chicago with Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez or Barry Bonds, Matt Williams, or Jeff Kent in San Fran.

We have guys looking for an identity (Bruce, Dickerson, Stubbs, still Phillips is trying to be more than he is, even Votto) and Duhhhsty doesnt do enough to help mold them. He does better (looking mainly offensively) with Vets who can take what Duhhhsty says and apply it to their games effectively and efficiently. This team doesnt and lacks the leadership (which is a direct strike to Duhhhsty IMO) that it had to trade its "best starting pitcher spect" for a mid 30s third baseman with a history of back problems to fill the void because that isnt Duhhhsty.
    Last edited by Slyder; 04-26-2010 at 11:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Any ideas on guys who fit this description??
    I have to confess that I don’t.

I just think that the team is under funded by the Reds ownership group and has been for going on ten years.

If they were or had been working with a Tampa, Minnesota, Oakland or Florida model their low funding, can work, those organizations had success. That is not what Reds ownership has been doing.

This time they brought in Mr. Baker and Mr. Jocketty to implement the plans, and models that had made them each successful in their previous organizations, San Francisco, Chicago and St. Louis, but, they provide funding like they did for the late 90’s Reds organization. Not funding that is and was needed to make the St. Louis model successful over the years with Mr. Jocketty as a chief architect, here in Cincinnati.

Now they want Mr. Jocketty and Mr. Baker to work some kind of magic for the past two years and a piece with a St. Louis or Chicago type plan or model, how ? Those are much larger money operations.

Here they have a man and with a history of success as shown by his history in St. Louis, they brought him to Cincinnati due to that history and success, but, they don’t provide the funding that helps fuel his methods. Mr. Jocketty is stranded trying to build something against wealthy teams with one hand tied behind his back.

Then we, myself and other’s complain about Jocketty and his players, pitchers, his manager. Sometimes I have to think that they did the best they could with what they were provided by ownership.

Why does ownership get a free pass? Their the ones running the whole thing.

How many players, managers, general managers, and coaches have they turned over? To get basically the same end product?

Turn Off Ads?