Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Interested in Extension? Reds Declined?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Dusty Interested in Extension? Reds Declined?

Dusty asking for an extension right now is akin to me asking my wife if she minds if I have an affair.

WHAT? How about get the team going in the right direction and then MAYBE (but probably not) we can talk about an extension.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Jack Mckeon seemed to do well.

That is true. I give Jack a good bit of credit for 1999.

However, Bowden had one of the best offseasons ever for a GM prior to the 1999 season. Got the team almost exactly what it needed.. Neagle, Tucker, Vaughn, Cameron.. Blended in with the existing youth perfectly. His only mistake was starting the season with Bere and Avery. If he had gotten a better starter pitcher from the start, the Reds might've made the playoffs.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Dusty asking for an extension right now is akin to me asking my wife if she minds if I have an affair..
    Hey,it doesn't hurt to ask
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'd like to see Rick Sweet get the job. He's already managed a good bit of the guys on the team and the guys that will be on the team soon.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I'd like to see Rick Sweet get the job. He's already managed a good bit of the guys on the team and the guys that will be on the team soon.
    I'd prefer the Reds didn't hire a 57 year old career minor league manager.

Been down that road, it seldom works, can't ever recall it working.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Dusty asking for an extension right now is akin to me asking my wife if she minds if I have an affair.
    I can't give you rep points, but I can give you my signature

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

However, Bowden had one of the best offseasons ever for a GM prior to the 1999 season. Got the team almost exactly what it needed
    Is that the mark of a good general manager? Getting a team what it needs? Good results?

Is that what they are suppose to do so that their manager doesn't look so bad, like the Reds do these past few seasons?

I've imagined a timeline on this:

Dusty: "Hey Walt, I think we've really laid some phenomenal groundwork here... I'd like to talk about next season. Would really love a shot at furthering that Cuban kids career"

Walt: "Did you hear that? There's an odd buzzing noise in my office somewhere. This is driving me nuts"

Dusty: "Nah, maybe it was the mini-fridge acting up. Anyways, about that extension..."

Walt: "We can talk about it. But right now I really really have a craving for a few coneys. Do you mind running out and grabbing me a few? Remember, hold the mustard"

Dusty: "Sure Walt. I'll be right back..."

Dusty returns: "Here ya go pal. I'm gonna go grab my player evals real quick and then we can discuss a few things"

Dusty returns again: "Hey Walt, I couldn't find my evals. I swear I left them on the corner of my desk, but they're gone" "Come to mention it, I think somebody took all of the pictures off of my desk. Did you see anything?"

Walt: "No Dusty, Don't know what to tell ya"

Dusty: "Just noticed another thing... I couldn't find my line-up cards either. You know, the ones I had pre-ordered with the CF leading off and the SS in the two hole"

Walt: "About that... Times are hard right now, and we won't be ordering any more line-up cards that are filled out by the printing company... You're gonna have to make due with the blank ones for a little while... Anyways, great catching up with ya, I gotta run"

Dusty: "But... But... But... The extension thing we were gonna talk about?"

Walt: "Man, that buzzing is driving me crazy. I'm gonna have to call a repair man. Gonna have to ask you to step out so I can make this call... MMMkkkk?"
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Dusty: Mr. Jocketty told me to talk to Mr. Castelleni and then Mr. Castelleni told me to talk to Mr. Jocketty and I still haven't received my extension and he took my tooth picks and he never brought them back and then they moved my wrist bands to storage room B and there were 'Reds 06 playoff tickets' on them...
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Jack Mckeon seemed to do well.

If Dusty can't can't get the job done this year then he should go.You can blame ownership along with the GM but managers just don't get to go on loosing year after year because he didn't get the players he needed.
    One thing that I have noticed is that when the general manager is credited with doing a good job, the manager usually is also. It also seems to follow that when the general manager has not done a good job, the manager is usually not looking very good either.

Coincidences, or natural order of cause and effect?

Code:
    Great Walt Jocketty with ownership enhancements $$$$
    Not so good Walt Jocketty without ownership enhancements
    Not so good Jim Bowden without ownership enchancements
    Good Mozeliak with ownership enhancements $$$$

Code:
         Cincinnati Ownership	St. Louis Ownership     Win Percentage
    2010 Jocketty $ 71,761,542	Mozeliak $ 93,540,751 	CIN .412   STL .632
    2009 Jocketty $ 73,558,500	Mozeliak $ 88,528,409 	CIN .481   STL .562
    2008 Jocketty $ 74,117,695	Mozeliak $ 99,624,449 	CIN .457   STL .531

2003 Bowden $ 59,355,667	Jocketty $ 83,786,666  	CIN .426   STL .525
    2002 Bowden $ 45,050,390	Jocketty $ 74,660,875  	CIN .481   STL .599
    2001 Bowden $ 48,784,000	Jocketty $ 78,333,333  	CIN .407   STL .574
    2000 Bowden $ 44,217,500	Jocketty $ 63,093,023  	CIN .525   STL .586

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

However, Bowden had one of the best offseasons ever for a GM prior to the 1999 season. Got the team almost exactly what it needed.. Neagle, Tucker, Vaughn, Cameron.. Blended in with the existing youth perfectly. His only mistake was starting the season with Bere and Avery. If he had gotten a better starter pitcher from the start, the Reds might've made the playoffs.
    I don't completely disagree that Bowden did his job that season but it is pretty easy to look back and say the GM did well when the coach goes beyond his job and get a underpaid bunch to win 96 games.

Players having career years and playing over their heads usually don't have much to do with the GM.Going into that year Casey had just 312 major league ABs under his belt,Pokey Reese was Paul Yanish playing 2nd base,Aaron Boone didn't have many fans in Cincinnati and Mike Cameron was virtually unknown and those that did know who he was didn't think much of him after going .210/.285/.336 in 98.The pitching staff looked to be pretty week as well.The only real sure fire good move that Bowden made was getting Vaughn.

I'm not trying to say that team was terrible, just that there were likely as many questions about that bunch as there is with this current Reds team.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Dusty: Mr. Jocketty told me to talk to Mr. Castelleni and then Mr. Castelleni told me to talk to Mr. Jocketty and I still haven't received my extension and he took my tooth picks and he never brought them back and then they moved my wrist bands to storage room B and there were 'Reds 06 playoff tickets' on them...
    I hope I'm not the only one who gets this reference.

I mentioned that the one good thing that Bowden in 99 was bringing in Vaughn.It can certainly be argued that if Jockety had pulled off a similar move this off season then things would be different this year and that would probably be true.I just don't think Bowden can be given credit for doing something that he has since been criticized for and that clearly didn't work for the rest of his career as a GM.That was building a team around 1 slugger and neglecting pitching and many other parts of the team.It worked fine in 99 but the coach of that team deserves the majority of the credit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You're not. Good stuff, Tom (Milton) Servo.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    i used to have Milton saying, "Someone took my stapler" as my ring tone.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?