Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valaika

Re: Valaika

You've got to bring these types of guys up when they're ready to hit near their ceilings, IMO. Sure, they're cheap whenever you bring them up, but if they don't hit they aren't worth it.

Personally, I'll wait all of next year as well to decide if anyone in AAA is ready to help permanently in Cincinnati.

Sure, we'll have some September call ups, some competition in ST next year, etc. But, there are no hall of famers in AAA right now, that's pretty safe to say.

In the meantime, I'm in favor of restructuring Phillips deal through 2013, similar to Rolen, so we have more to spend next year - and he's easier to trade. But, really, I'd like him around for 3-4 more years.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    You've got to bring these types of guys up when they're ready to hit near their ceilings, IMO. Sure, they're cheap whenever you bring them up, but if they don't hit they aren't worth it.
    OR...you trade them when their value is at an all time high, especially when you have Phillips locked up. It's up to the scouts and such to figure that out, but you may be able to get great value in a trade and address another area.

If Valaika projects as utility type player at best, why not just bring him up to replace Cairo and see how he does? Or, while his stock is high, they could trade him for a younger project with a higher ceiling. Sometimes you have to trade down and replenish the A and AA prospects.

I'm in favor of moving any of the prospects in AAA other than Chapman, if the deal is good for the team.

I'd like to see one or two of Cozart, Valaika and Frazier make strides in this, their 24th year. Whoever doesn't step up this year, by September, may not be worth worrying about much longer.

I'm in favor of moving any of the prospects in AAA other than Chapman, if the deal is good for the team.

I'd like to see one or two of Cozart, Valaika and Frazier make strides in this, their 24th year. Whoever doesn't step up this year, by September, may not be worth worrying about much longer.
    Patience. These are young players. They aren't immune to slumps. They may be working on things which will improve them over the long haul.

Forget the won-lost records, let's evaluate each player over time.

The Reds major league team has a number of home grown guys right now, this will continue over time. Have to be patient as they develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Patience. These are young players. They aren't immune to slumps. They may be working on things which will improve them over the long haul.

Forget the won-lost records, let's evaluate each player over time.

The Reds major league team has a number of home grown guys right now, this will continue over time. Have to be patient as they develop.
    Right, I agree, patience. I'm not worried about the records of the affiliates, either. Like I said, I'll wait all next year if need be.

In general, it will likely be my preference to temper my expectations for Valaika, Frazier, and Cozart if they don't at least make a September call up, and perform well enough to expect a great shot at the team next year.

To me, they will start to look more like role players if they don't put up strong this year. Again, I'm not at all concerned about the present streak or slump they happen to be in. I look forward to the rest of the season.

Overall, I'd like our 1st and 2nd round picks to make it up for good by 25 y/o so they get their kinks out by 26, 27, 28 and have great years. If they can't make it by then I start to get less optimistic about them being great difference makers that the Reds need.

Personally, I'll wait all of next year as well to decide if anyone in AAA is ready to help permanently in Cincinnati.

Sure, we'll have some September call ups, some competition in ST next year, etc. But, there are no hall of famers in AAA right now, that's pretty safe to say.

In the meantime, I'm in favor of restructuring Phillips deal through 2013, similar to Rolen, so we have more to spend next year - and he's easier to trade. But, really, I'd like him around for 3-4 more years.
    I don't know Jeff Kent comes to mid as someone who I bet no one thought had a shot at the HOF, now he has a reasonable shot. Frazier could be that type of player. Some guys are late bloomers.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Hall of Fame players dont happen often. Reds havent had one get put in the hall since Perez in 2000 and he quit playing in 86. It takes a long time for Hall of Famers to even be considered hall of famers.

Somewhat of a figure of speech, when I said hall of famers, but I'll go with "perennial all stars" for the same effect and it's more what I mean anyway - sort of a Scott Rolen type career.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone about the chances of great success, I don't think. Of course, you'll agree with me that for every Jeff Kent, there are 75 Todd Fraziers. And Kent is a good example of a late bloomer, yet he still played 100 games at 24 years old.

Let's hope one more out of this mature crop of nice prospects can make a big, big step forward.

Somewhat of a figure of speech, when I said hall of famers, but I'll go with "perennial all stars" for the same effect and it's more what I mean anyway - sort of a Scott Rolen type career.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone about the chances of great success, I don't think. Of course, you'll agree with me that for every Jeff Kent, there are 75 Todd Fraziers. And Kent is a good example of a late bloomer, yet he still played 100 games at 24 years old.

Let's hope one more out of this mature crop of nice prospects can make a big, big step forward.
    Scott Rolen is going to be in the Hall of Fame; he's one of the best 3B of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Scott Rolen is going to be in the Hall of Fame; he's one of the best 3B of all time.
    He's got a decent case, for sure, but you're the first one I've heard sound so sure.

He's got a decent case, for sure, but you're the first one I've heard sound so sure.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...olensc01.shtml

Take a look at what he's accomplished over the course of his career and then consider that he's been one of, if not the, best defenders at his position for essentially his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...olensc01.shtml

Take a look at what he's accomplished over the course of his career and then consider that he's been one of, if not the, best defenders at his position for essentially his entire career.
    Not to get too far off topic, but Rolen is not a lock. His stats are excellent, but Barry Larkin's were too (some say top 10-15 all time at SS) and he is not a lock either. Unfortunately, you've got a lot of sports writers who vote based on baselines for why guys should get in the HOF.

Turn Off Ads?