Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Dusty comment worth paying attention to

A Dusty comment worth paying attention to

SWING, BATTER: Baker chatted pre-game with Chris Dickerson on Saturday about strikeouts. Not so much that Dickerson fanned four times Friday, but was caught looking three times.

“I know the camera’s on me, but I’m about to explode on those called strikes,” Baker said. “That gives you no chance. You put the ball in play, anything can happen.”

When it was suggested that some calls appeared borderline, Baker replied:

“Sometimes you’ve got to take it out of his hands.”
    From John Fays blog today.

Something to keep an eye on. I have to worry if Dusty is telling guys to swing at anything close because a swing and a miss or bad contact is better than a called strike. Lets see what happens.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Dusty comment worth paying attention to

with 2 strikes you do swing at anything close, the umpires are horrible this season. They are more worried about cutting game length down than getting the call right

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Something to keep an eye on. I have to worry if Dusty is telling guys to swing at anything close because a swing and a miss or bad contact is better than a called strike. Lets see what happens.
    Dickerson isn't hitting. Period.

It isn't Dusty's or Brook Jacoby's fault. Dickerson just isn't hitting or walking for that matter. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    with 2 strikes you do swing at anything close....
    This.

You protect the 'zone on 2 strike counts. Sorry, that's just the way its done. I love me some OBP just like everybody else. You just can't take called 3rd strike after called 3rd strike.

Did I say Dickerson isn't hitting? Well, he isn't. Period.

The only Dusty comment I'll pay attention to is, "I quit."
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Dickerson isn't hitting. Period.

It isn't Dusty's or Brook Jacoby's fault. Dickerson just isn't hitting or walking for that matter. Period.

This.

You protect the 'zone on 2 strike counts. Sorry, that's just the way its done. I love me some OBP just like everybody else. You just can't take called 3rd strike after called 3rd strike.

Did I say Dickerson isn't hitting? Well, he isn't. Period.
    did I say it was anyones fault? Telling someone who isnt hitting the ball to swing more especially when they think its a ball is a bad idea. Dustys message seems to be if you arent hitting just swing more often. Not saying that swinging less is the answer either. Taking called 3rd strike when its a ball is something I want every red to do. I would like if they never swung at a ball. If Dusty is telling guys to swing at balls then its something to keep an eye on.

its no secret Dusty wants his guys hacking........ hes the reason behind the strikouts. He rewards those players who dont get on base with more playing time. No wonder Dickerson isnt doing well....hes just trying to copy the guys who got playing time over him recently by matching their stats....Corey Patterson, Willie Tavares, Drew Stubbs.

Don't worry, if the Astros win today the Reds will have the worst record in the NL. Someone will take the fall for this mid June if this continues. My guess is Dusty is gone by the all star break, along with most of his coaches, and most of the players who can be moved. It's time to completely blow this team up, and I mean completely. You need to move everyone (including Votto) for the best prospects you can get and completely Florida Marlins this team. I wouldn't mind all 25 guys being moved if you could.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Don't worry, if the Astros win today the Reds will have the worst record in the NL. Someone will take the fall for this mid June if this continues. My guess is Dusty is gone by the all star break, along with most of his coaches, and most of the players who can be moved. It's time to completely blow this team up, and I mean completely. You need to move everyone (including Votto) for the best prospects you can get and completely Florida Marlins this team. I wouldn't mind all 25 guys being moved if you could.
    We're 7-10. A win tomorrow and we are 8-10, only 2 games under .500. We have been playing horrible baseball no doubt, but we can't play any worse an we are still 7-10. The coach will be gone before the team is blown up. 15 of the 25 guys no team would trade for, which is half the problem.

We have played as bad as the Orioles, yet we are 7-10, not 2-15. Oust the manager, get a new one with some fire and brains...but please don't blow the whole thing up already. 17 games ago a majority of us all had high hopes for the playoffs.

The Reds are actually now 7-11, but they're actually very lucky to even be that good. They have a run differential of -30. The Orioles run differential is -36. Trust me, if this keeps up the Reds will be much worse then 14-22 a month from now.

I have heard it all now. Now we are defending guys for taking called third strikes and attacking the manager for saying that he is tired of guys taking called third strikes. We all know how frustrated we are when guys take called third strikes, it just drives me crazy. Umpires have strike zones, some are bigger than others. Players have to adjust to what is being called a strike during each game. I really wish Bob would just fire Dusty already so people can stop blaming the boogey man for everything.

Isn't it funny that a guy like Pete Rose is banned from baseball but an idiot such as baker gets to continue to wreck this franchise?

Even if Dusty were completely blameless for this mess it is a fact that the manager generally takes the fall. And you are right, Dusty isn't to blame for the myriad shortcomings of this team. But the buck stops with Dusty. If this team doesn't pick it up by June 1st, Dusty has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Isn't it funny that a guy like Pete Rose is banned from baseball but an idiot such as baker gets to continue to wreck this franchise?
    Not sure what one has to do with the other. Betting on baseball is the ultimate sin, and Pete committed it and got what he deserved and also went to prison. Then he lied about betting on baseball for years, while people wearing Rose colored glasses were either foolish or naive enough to believe him. Compare Dusty's and Roses accomplishments as a manager into the discussion if we want to bring facts into it. Wake me when Rose wins his first division title.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Even if Dusty were completely blameless for this mess it is a fact that the manager generally takes the fall. And you are right, Dusty isn't to blame for the myriad shortcomings of this team. But the buck stops with Dusty. If this team doesn't pick it up by June 1st, Dusty has to go.
    Agree, that is the reality of the sport and every manager knows that when they sign up. It doesn't matter if you are given the 27 yankees or the Washington Nationals, if you don't win the manager will pay the price. I am more than ready for Dusty to go, so we can as fans move onto the real problems with this team.

Blame whoever you want, but at the end of the day I just dont think we have the talent to keep up over a 162 game season.

Turn Off Ads?