Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistically, when could Janish & Hanigan start?

Realistically, when could Janish & Hanigan start?

If Ocab and Ramon keep playing poorly, and there's no reason to think they won't, when will the young guys get a shot? They have been more productive in far less PA's not to mention superior defense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Realistically, when could Janish & Hanigan start?

Id give Hanigan the start over Hernandez before Id give Janish the start over oCab. Yea, his defense hasn't been stellar, but he HAS been productive offensively for us. I know Janish is hitting at this time, but I still trust oCab's bat a bit more. I am not opposed to spot-starting Janish every 3rd or 4th game though.

-Matt

Hernandez and Hanigans rolls would swap if I was managing. Cabrera is god awful at SS so I would use Janish quite a lot in late innings. Janish probably should be the starter.

I'd flip their roles and if the vet starts to perform better than the younger guy, then flip their roles back. There needs to be an incentive for them to play well. If they keep starting with crappy OBP or errors in the field, they aren't as motivated to improve.

I would let Janish and Hanigan play every day. But Dusty usually doesn't ask for my opinion.

Dickerson CF
    Janish SS
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2B
    Nix/Gomes LF
    Hanigan C
    P

Send down Stubbs and let him work some things out. LF defense will be brutal for time being, those guys are just keeping the spot warm until it can be upgraded.

Definitely interested in moving Phillips before deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Dickerson CF
    Janish SS
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2B
    Nix/Gomes LF
    Hanigan C
    P

Send down Stubbs and let him work some things out. LF defense will be brutal for time being, those guys are just keeping the spot warm until it can be upgraded.

Definitely interested in moving Phillips before deadline.
    Nix is actually pretty good with the glove in LF he is definitely above average, and he has a good arm. Our LF defense would only be brutal when Gomes is playing against lefties.

Haven't seen much of Nix tbph, but from what I have seen he looked shaky.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Id give Hanigan the start over Hernandez before Id give Janish the start over oCab. Yea, his defense hasn't been stellar, but he HAS been productive offensively for us. I know Janish is hitting at this time, but I still trust oCab's bat a bit more. I am not opposed to spot-starting Janish every 3rd or 4th game though.

-Matt
    I agree with this. I would not be opposed to dropping OCab down to 6th or 7th in the order though. He has been getting the runs in but he has not been scoring any because he doesn't get on base. Over the course of the season I would prefer to see OCab get 400-450 or so AB's and Janish around 200-250 between SS and 3B/2B when needed.

I think the Hanigan/Hernandez platoon is playing as well as we can expect from it right now. It has been about 60/40 split right now. With a line of .333/.470/.455 1 hr, 11 rbi combined it is performing better than any of us could have expected. If you think back to last season when Ramon was hurt and Hanigan caught full time his numbers took a sharp hit. I think it is the best for us to have Hanigan get no more than 50% of the AB's or his production may drop considerably.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 04-27-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice View Post
    If Ocab and Ramon keep playing poorly, and there's no reason to think they won't, when will the young guys get a shot? They have been more productive in far less PA's not to mention superior defense.
    They aren't "veterans", and Dusty likes veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice View Post
    Realistically, when could Janish & Hanigan start?
    Well maybe when the guy you are trying to replace is not leading the team in RBIs

Peach

I keep hearing how Hanigan should stay the backup because his numbers slid after the all-star break, but what no one here knows is that he was playing all of August/September with a neck and upper back injury.

Up until August, he was putting up pretty damn good numbers for a rookie.

This offseason he worked on his swing and changed it up a bit and now you're seeing a fantastic defensive catcher (one of the best in the league) also becoming a huge asset offensively.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Hanigan should be getting at least a slight majority of the starts, to me that is a no brainer. With the way he plays defense and his hot bat I cannot understand why he should sit in the backup role much longer. Let Ramon catch for Cueto and get the starts when you play a day game after a night game. Play Ryan in all other situations until he cools off.

Janish however I like in his current role. O-Cab hasn't been bad enough with the glove and the bat to warrant a switch. Unlike Hanigan, who has shown he can get on base as well as play the field over an extended period of time, Janish's recent success doesn't seem like anything other than a mirage right now. We've been lucky to get this sort of production out of him thus far, but it would be a rash move to start him regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Well maybe when the guy you are trying to replace is not leading the team in RBIs
    Old school thinking like this is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    Hanigan should be getting at least a slight majority of the starts, to me that is a no brainer. With the way he plays defense and his hot bat I cannot understand why he should sit in the backup role much longer. Let Ramon catch for Cueto and get the starts when you play a day game after a night game. Play Ryan in all other situations until he cools off.

Janish however I like in his current role. O-Cab hasn't been bad enough with the glove and the bat to warrant a switch. Unlike Hanigan, who has shown he can get on base as well as play the field over an extended period of time, Janish's recent success doesn't seem like anything other than a mirage right now. We've been lucky to get this sort of production out of him thus far, but it would be a rash move to start him regularly.
    It looks like Hanigan is going to get more and more starts, I like the way Dusty is handling it though. He is gradually working Hanigan in more and more. With continued success at the plate, I think we will see Hanigan take over the main duties by the end of May, but until then its probably going to be about a 50/50 split, but Dusty did surprise me with the lineup change tonight, so who knows? He as least has to stay in night in and out to ride his ridiculous hot wave.

Turn Off Ads?